RockShox Judy XL 98 Front Shock

RockShox Judy XL 98 Front Shock

Rock Shox 98 Judy XL

[Dec 01, 2001]
Troy Nazarchuk

Strength:

Very good from smooth ride very good in winter

na/

xecellent fork very good travel does not bottem out and good price

maintou magnum

[Nov 29, 2001]
astro

Strength:

Cheap plentiful supply of unused forks in the secondhand market. Good rigid twin crown design. Excellent basis for building the ultimate fork!

nasty colour, harsh and noisy topout, spring too linear, uses all travel too easily. Damping cartridge ineffective.

Buy a nice unused secondhand pair for about £60 to £70, junk all the internals and fit a Total Air Cartridge system. Fit double bushings and the latest wiper kit. You'll have a great pair of twin crown forks for less than £200. Oh, respray them as well and put new non-rockshox stickers on, they don't deserve the free advertising! 5 chillis AFTER the total conversion! (one chilli before)

Rockshox RS1, Manitou 3, Lawwill Leader3, RST Mozo pro 4.5, Manitou SXR.

[Apr 13, 2007]
john

Strength:

light, looks good

not very sturdy but that's not a priority in my case

I ride primarily "urban" and liked the look of a double crown to add more substance to the bike. Picked this up NOS in the box on ebay, AFAIK there is no lighter double crown out there. So it's been up to the task and was a good deal. Someday I might just use a couple of ti tubes and make a double crown rigid out of it.

n/a

[Jan 16, 2002]
Peter Austin
Downhiller

Strength:

The nice box it came in.

What was inside the box.

I think that I effectivly paid nothing for this fork so I should not complain but it is not very good. Quite pogo like at times when control is needed and bendy when accuracy is high on the agenda. Very high when going very fast over very rugged terrain. For DH this fork falls sadly short and the finishing quality is very low. I now do not own these forks but if I was offered these again or some liqurice sticks tied together with spaghetti I know which I'd choose.

Judy DH, Quadra 10(don't ask), Marzzochi Super T Pro.

[Nov 13, 2001]
TODD PORTEOUS

Strength:

TRIPLE CROWN STRENGH, LOTS OF TRAVEL

ROCK SHOX CARTRIDGE (REMEMBER THE JUDY'S)

After I finally figured out the right spring combo everything was cool, get the alloy caps for the top the fork tubes, the plastic ones are a little to fragile for my tastes. Like everyone that has dealt with rockshox in the past knows that it is only a mater of time before the cheap cartrigde inside blows, I know because mine did on the second ride on this bike. Last year while I was enjoying the rain at the Napa World Cup, I took it to the Rock Shox tent and ask if they could fix it, they tossed the cartridge, and installed a Hydra coil, for FREE. Since then this fork has been through hell without even a wimper. So all you fancy lads that like to whine like women instead of doing something about you're broken toys, see ya at the races.

ROCK SHOX JUDY/WHITE BROTHERS CARTRIDGE, SPRINGS

[Jul 31, 2001]
Xtreme Ryder

Strength:

Long Travel

Springy Feel
Rebound Adjusters don't do a damn thing
Cheap plastic adjuster knobs

I like to freeride...this somewhat suits my needs.It doesn't suprise me that a 80mm Marzocchi beats the crap out of this Rockshox Judy XL. the Judy XL is great on small hits...but when its comes to the BIG stuff it doesn't come through for me. It has a "springy" feel which is not fun when your flying over rock gardens and nasty descents.If I wanted a POGO Stick..I would have saved a lot more money at the local dept. store! If I actually bought it in 1998 at full price I would be pissed but I got it for dirt cheap.

Marzocchi Z4,Z5
RockShox Judy XC,Jett XC

[Aug 02, 2001]
matt
Downhiller

Strength:

NONE

FLEX
NOT ENOUGH TRAVEL
BLOWS CARTRIDGES CANT GET NEW ONES EASILY
STICKERS ARE NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO GET

Piece of crap
only had it about a month when it blew its first cartridge its blown 3 since.
It flexs like a mongrel and has a harsh top out unless you've got money to waste or your very light I wouldn't go this fork.
It dosent even diserve 1 chille
not good at all Rock Shox

[Aug 04, 2001]
Mido

Strength:

Well the fork will serve its purpose if you don't ask too much out of it,but....

how can you destroy a fork with one 15ft jump?

Bottom line, save your money for Manitou or Marzocchi, this fork feels totaly underdeveloped, like they started selling it before they tested it, sad.

I will be generous with my chillies though, cause considering everything the fork deserves a couple of chillies but definetely not my recomendation for purchase

Manitous, Marzocchi,HS moto fr, rs, rst, noleen-girvin

[Jul 13, 2001]
Rhys Jameson

Strength:

The best fork i have ever ridden on. It has great travel and i have had no problems with it at all! A light fork which is good for 'gram weenies'.

It could have come in more colours, rather than just eggplant purple!

These forks are the best freeride fork i have ever used and i would recommend it to anyone who rides downhill or dual slalom!

1997 Rock Shox Judy DHO's

[Jan 07, 2000]
Profesor Xavier
Downhiller

Strength:

cheep fork
light weight
very plushy travel

light weight means plastic and junky parts
adjusts don't do cra%^&

Ok I admit I had broken I bunch of stuff. Thanks for reading my little story. First month I got the fork, I was a happy boy. But than I blew the screwball cartrige(3 years ago). Then I wore in the bushing(by one year of time). Then I broke the one piece junky fork leg by the time of August 1999. It performed very well in my hard standards. If you think I am fat, I'm not. I only weigh 145 with my pants on. This fork is nooooo good for jropoff jumps, I craked it in two spots this piece of sh%^&&* is only good if it doesn't leave the ground. For the shrimps out there that doesn't do sh!T, go get o.ne This thing is like a piece of Sh!t that is made out of paper. Get Risses for gods sake

Judy XC99, Judy XLC 99, Rst 281, Rst Delta HL, softride stem 2 in shock, Noleen Chubby, need I say more?