RockShox Judy XC 97 Front Shock

Judy XC 97

Rock Shox 97 Judy XC

captain faceplant   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2002]
Strength:

makes a poor nutcracker due to the round fork legs. also it leaks oil on your nuts. buy this if you need proof of the difference between fork designs.

not enough space to express how they suck. I spent about 150 bones repairing this pathetic turd. you'd think they would use a good shock on a $1000 plus bike.

this fork made a good 'bumper' for the front until the oil
cart blew out. bought an expensive machined aluminum replacement for 80 bucks. then the steer tube came loose during a 15 mile race (think FACEPLANT)....I had a shop fix it by hammering a large, ugly, steel wedge into the crown, then grinding away the bottom(the OFFICIAl recommended repair by rock shox). Another $35. I don't ride that much, just a couple of races a year plus training rides. The elastomers also split. Another bike shop tried to get me to blow another 80 bones for a spring kit. They said I was too heavy at 170-180 lbs. This all happened in 2 seasons....I switched to marzocchi and have never looked back. Even the cheap marzocchis are so much nicer! I give the judy two steaming turds because I can now appreciate the difference between good and lousy forks. I can't believe the people that replace every part of this pos for probably $250 and then give it five chilis. Dorks! You can buy a beefy marzocchi z5 for $140 and have a reliable, but simple, fork. Who cares about saving an extra pound if it's always broken and you have to replace it every season?

Similar Products Used: Z2, Z5 marzocchi!!!!
Malarkey   Weekend Warrior [Aug 12, 2006]
Strength:

Reliable, still works like it did

A little heavier compared to modern xc forks. Damping adjustment does not have much range.

I suppose the only reason someone would appreciate this review now is if they're buying an older used bike. In that case, the fork seams to be in the same condition as it would be new. The fork's coil spring suspension performs better than expected. The damping shock adjustment is fairly useless. Not nearly as plush as modern forks. It surprises me that the Stumpjumper comp doesn't have a higher level fork. A couple years later, they started using the Sid xc, which is much nicer.

Similar Products Used: headshok p-bone, headshok si
Space Cadet   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2001]
Strength:

Good enrty-level fork; easy to tune and upgade parts are widely availiable.

Brakearch is somewhat flexy, plastic parts

These forks require Maintainence. Constant maintainence. Once that has been said, this fork is a good Entry-level fork. Does it flex? Sure, just what you would expect from a Magmnesium alloy casting. The flexing is not excessive, though. Do the elastomers suck? Yep. If you have this fork and you did not upgrade to a set of mountainsprings, I would Highly recommend doing so.

I have ridden 3 seasons on this fork, with no complaints. No rust(?). No broken parts ( believe me, I have tried very hard to break this fork with severe punishment). No Nothing. Sure there are better forks on the market today, but in it's heyday - this fork was THE fork.

I have heard of all sorts of trouble with newer forks on the market, and I am glad I have my Judy.

Similar Products Used: Most major, single crown damped designs
Ricardo Decker   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight; Durable; Never need to touch, simply keep clean & ride.

Colors are kind of boring from today's standards.

Read my review from 1998. IT STILL APPLIES! I recently sold my bike and the one thing I will sorely miss is that damn shock. It never failed me once. I beat the phuck out of it & it never held a grudge. Such a stiff fork with NO flex. There is no way you could even find one these days but I thought I'd come back to let you know that the shock is durable and still logging the miles, albeit by somebody else. All you haters need to stick to your heavy forks. If you want more travel than this shock provides, just go buy a Buick and leave us XC riders in peace.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi
B van Leuven   downhiller [Oct 02, 1998]

I have had no problem with my judy fork. For those thinking about getting one, i suggest equiping them with Speed Springs specific to your weight. This makes them smoother, lighter, and (I think) provides more travel than the stock setup. For those who break them routinely........for gods sake, try ridding with some finese!

Todd   cross-country rider [Sep 20, 1998]

I'm fairly competent at maintaining most things on my bike, but servicing this shock is like defusing a bomb. Just now I've tried to remove the lower tube assembly. The manual says to partially unscrew the lower bolts and tap them firmly with a mallet to break the shafts free from the lower tube (er, okay, if you say so), then remove the bolts and slide off the lower assembly. This is where I'm stuck, because the fork is too. I tried remounting the bolts and tapping them harder, but still my Judy won't come apart, no matter how hard I pull. I tried tapping the insides of the legs with a flathead screwdriver, but no go. So I gave up and put the fork back together, but now my rebound cartridge won't adjust when I insert the allen wrench. So now I'm stuck with the same old stiction and no rebound adjustment. I probably even broke something. All I was trying to do was service this damn thing, so it would last longer.Overall, the ride of the Judy has never been great. It flexes like a tuning fork, even with a strong hub. Initial stiction never really went away, even after repeated lubing of the upper tubes and spring stacks. The rebound cartridge is inert, my old Quadra 21 felt the same. I've heard the SID is a great fork, so I'm considering getting the Englund air system for the Judy. But seeing as how I can't break the shock down, my LBS will have to install it.

ryan   racer [Sep 30, 1998]

I've had this fork for about a year now and it is falling apart. I don't have experience with any other forks but this one seems to have some durability isues. I've went through two oil cartridges. I cracked the lower legs and I wore out my inner legs. The inner legs part I take full responsability for, I probably didn't maintenence it as much as I should have. But the other two things were not my fault. The oil cartridges just suck and I have no idea why I cracked the legs but rock sox replaced those for free. I would not recommend this fork for anyone who rides alot and hard. Besides it falling apart I would say that while it lasted it was a good fork.

B-RIDER   weekend warrior [Mar 17, 1998]

O.K., time to put in my 2-cents worth. I got my Judy XC with my Klien, and immediately put in a type 3 kit to get rid of the bumpers. I thought the action was great, until I built a bike for my wife with an RST Mozo fork. Wow! Thw Mozo showed me how good a stiff fork can perform, and how flexy and harsh my Judy is. I thought the Judy performed well over fast, choppy stuff, until I rode the RST. Now, I can't wait to get rid of the Judy.About the damper: I've ridden it hard for about 6 mos, and have YET to see it leak. Maybe I got a good one.

beck   racer [Mar 17, 1998]

THIS IS GOT TO BE THE WORST FORK I HAVE EVER OWNED,IT WAS OK FOR A LITTLE WHILE BUT WITH CHEAP PLASTIC PARTS,THE ADJUSTMENTS KEEPED GETTING STUCK. AFTER A FEW SHORT MONTHS I BUSTED THE OIL DAMPANER. IT IS A VERY FLEXIBLE FORK AND BOTTOMS OUT VERY EASILY.NEVER EVER BUY THIS FORK,IT DOES NOT EVEN DESERVE 1 CHILLI.

G-Man   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2000]
Strength:

Great fork at a killer closeout price. Can go longer than recommended on the rebuilds. I've put 550 miles on mine this summer and it is still working like butter.

I clean/grease under the boots once a week (or after a wet ride), this seems to make the fork very happy.

Service is easy, takes about 45 minutes.

Great fork on all trail conditions.

The hollow damper bolt is fragile. Plastic preload knobs hard to remove (wrenches really mess them up!)

If you can get one on closeout, go for it. Otherwise spend the extra money and buy a new Judy XC by Rock Shox.