RockShox Judy XC 96 Front Shock

Rock Shox Judy XC

Bunzing Knijff   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

these judys performed well for me. first 3 years made awesome trips with them. smiling downhill. now, after 7 years, the elastomers start to fall apart, only now,
for me they are good value for my bucks.

little travel, but personally did not need more

things are way cheaper, nowadays you can buy similar quality for half the price. stick to it, and do not let yourself be outsmarted by industry and buy 500$ shox. (admit that they look awesome)

for the average biker, this quality level is

hamish mCclatchy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap at second hand price AND THEVE HELPED ME ON MANY A CURB
80mm travel is pretty sweet (feels like 4 inchs)

abit sticky but you can pour in the oil
Especially bad in the wet
recently they have had internal 'injuries' but on the upside i can extend them out to look like boxxers (my v cable is the only thing holding them together)
i use all 80mm and bottem them out frequently, though removing the oil cartridge may have assisted with this.
they good at sharing around the oil too.

good for commuting but there quality has finally deteriorated after 7 years of use
abit sticky and unresponsive
2 peice upgrade is well worth the wait.

Similar Products Used: Rst, DJ3, psilo xc
Howie   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2002]
Strength:

Low maintenance, a great company like rock shox to back up the product, large # of aftermarket upgrades

I've read all the whining complaints about the cartridge blowing up. Fact is I just took my fork apart for the first time, I expected to find that there was either no oil or just a big mess of little parts. Not only was the cartridge in perfect condition and filled with oil, I didn't have to replace any on the seals. This fork has well over 5000 miles of singletrack on it, I don't care what anyone has to say this thing is bombproof. Untill yesterday I always wished I still had my Mag 21, well that has definitely passed and now I'm not giving up my Judy.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Mag 21, Manitou 3
Simon   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2001]
Strength:

Had these forks for 6 years on a Kona Koa hardtail.
Good smooth travel. Great seals and rubber boots. Not a heap of travel, but quality over quantity !

Now that I have gone to V-brakes the centre-pull mount is still there. Do people still remember centre-pull :)
It does make a good mount point for a light though !

After 6 years of changing tyres 2 or 3 times a week, the wheel skewer nut has gouged a small groove in the dropout. 2mm deep in the 11mm alloy flange. Probably a cheap skewer :)

The cheap plastic oil damper blew a few months into it's life. The local Bike Shop did the right thing and got an alloy cartridge under warranty (RockShox knew the problem and rectified it - no questions asked).
I did fit the 97 or 98 spring kit (half elastomer/half spring) which picked up small bump behaviour.
I used to run the preload really high to get the biggest hit protection, but know the preload is way down (1 turn from softest) and the travel is still smooth.
They are due for a service soon (only 2nd time). The bushings might need replacing (or it could be slop in the brakes), but I use Judy butter and 6 years is pretty good from my view.
40,000+kms and going strong !!!
The only thing I'd swap them for right now is a pair of Z3 bombers, but they are still pricey here in Oz :)

5 chilis all round. Yes, I have changed the springs and got the new cartridge, but not a penny spent in 5 years apart from one tiny tub of Judy Butter and some oil.

Similar Products Used: Have tried newer (obviously lesser and cheaper) Jetts.
Connor   Cross Country Rider [Jan 15, 2002]
Strength:

Maintenance-easy to disassemble with simple tools, lube up with liberal Slick Honey and reassemble. This takes about 20 minutes at best.
Aftermarket tuning parts-see below.
I have used it daily for commuting and for CC mountain biking in the Rockies, Moab, Fruita, etc for several years and it has never stranded me or failed.

Of course, the cartridge. Mine came with the 63 mm alloy cartridge which finally blew up last summer during a jump while commuting, replaced with Risse Gem cartridge which feels more plush than the stocker. Probably due to the Risse having mainly rebound dampening rather than compression dampening like to RS part.
MCUs slowly deflated and were replaced with White Bros. Judd springs after 2 years. This is very recommended as a replacement for the MCUs. Cambria has the springs for $19.00-I run a soft (green) spring in the left leg and a silver medium in the right leg which seems perfect for my 145# weight.

I like this fork a lot. It has been everywhere and done everything I have asked it to do, and is a real workhorse. Limited travel and weight date this fork, but it sure is nice once the appropriate mods are made. I never worry about being stranded with a blown air shock, and even if you lose the oil cartridge it is still rideable home. Zip tie the top of the fork boots to seal out water and snow, and contamination is not an issue. As Rock Shox no longer supports this old fork with parts, you pretty much have to go aftermarket anyway and this is not necessarily a bad thing. I have decided to not go with an air once Judy finally expires but will stick with coil/oil due to the quality of the ride and reliability, despite the weight. I hope to get another 3000 miles out of her before then. Compared to modern forks, will rate a 4/5 for both value (needing aftermarket parts to improve) and overall.

Similar Products Used: 1st suspension fork
jacob   Racer [Sep 13, 2001]
Strength:

awesome shock for crosscountry riding,tough reliable,good product

not good for drops over 5 feet

these r a good product for cross country riding.i got a great deal on the bike i bought it second in mint condition for about $250. nothing wrong with the bike but there was a reason it was so cheap but i'm not gonna get into that.

Similar Products Used: bomber's z.5 fly airs
James   Cross Country Rider [Oct 06, 2001]
Strength:

strong, durable, very bombproof

cold weather sticktion, pulling the oil cartridge

This shock was the best back in '96. There are more plush, longer travel, lighter shocks out there, but this thing has been to the Rockies, San Georges and all places in between. Never had a problem. I used to race, now do big rides, bomb dowmhill (for an ex-XC'er), and it's still going. If you are a rider looking to spend a little money adn get a great return, go no farther. I only plan on replacing it when it can no longer do the same job it did when new...which is not foreseeable at the moment.