RockShox Judy 100 99 Front Shock

99 Judy 100

Scott Marcano   [Jun 02, 2008]
Strength:

Great Travel, never serviced

In all these years I wonder!

Ridden it for years, 6, never serviced. Great travel, saved my butt many times since I love hard core technical trails. It handles moderate drops, up to 5 feet or so. Just makes me wonder how good the new forks are, I'll find out soon since I'm in the market for an "all-mountain" bike. I'm sure the new bigger staunchons are much more stiff, we will see.

Similar Products Used: Bike came with the Indy.
Richard   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2001]
Strength:

reasonable looks

poor paint job, easily broken

Mine took a minor hit from the front and have never been working right since, there a huge amount of top out since the crash and none of the shops I've tried has been able to sort them out.

The paint had also began to clip of on various areas of the legs.

I ended up just getting Bomber Z4's as a replacment and they've been superb ever since I got 'em.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z4 100, RST 261
Dano   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2001]
Strength:

Smooths out the bumps, and I've never came close to bottoming out on it. I'm a cross-country rider - no dropping off of cliffs etc.

Lot's of negative travel, but this may be true of many others.

This shock can handle way more than I can safely ask it to and therefore it does the job. The increased length/travel of the fork may slow down your steering but you can get used to it. For the money, I think I got a great deal compared to what else is available.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Quadra
Racer X   Racer [May 18, 2000]
Strength:

Super plush and active, fairly light (compared to Z1 Bam), slick looking, does very well on big stuff, no bottom out, but adjustability isn't way good

FLEX!!!! This is the flexiest fork I have ridden, almost worse then a SID. Just yesterday I came off a 2.5 foot drop, something I would fly on a triple clamp, but wheel landed, fork flexed almost 5 inches (i was watching from above) and sent me right over the bars. ADJUSTABILITY SUCKS! no rebound or compression unless you screw with oil. Otherwise, its great

This is a very good fork, especially for the $150 i got it for. Its super plush, more plush then any Marzocchi I have tried, and is incredibly active. Unfortunetly, it lacks adjustabilty and stiffness. I still love it

Similar Products Used: Z1, Supefly, Sid, Judy, Boxxer, etc etc
yonkers wonkers   Downhiller [Jan 24, 2001]
Strength:

it is a great fork i have never had a problem with it

there is none !!!!!!!

this is a great fork and i have never had a problem with it and i will probbally never have any probs i dont know what these guys are talking about there is no flex at all. and it never leaks oil and ya every one has to change oil once and a while so buy it if you need 4" of travel and u want a good DH fork or a good FREE RIDE fork and if u are hard core. i beat the crap out of it and there is no probs

BUY IT !!!!

Similar Products Used: z3 100
Rebel .   Downhiller [Dec 29, 2000]
Strength:

This fork is hella cool. Light, plush, and good looking, too. Lighter than my Z1, but not as stiff or plush (but then it does have 1" less travel).

None.

Get this fork for light freeride/DH and heavy XC/endurance rides. It has held up in the rain and the sand, and will continue to do so. Try it on Mount Tam sometime. Wheeler with this fork is like heaven.

Similar Products Used: Z3 Flilight 100
X-Vert Super
AJ Granato   Racer [Apr 12, 2001]
Strength:

everything! color, travel, toughness, and looks good and rides good on anyway bike.

everything except nothing!

I'm 14, and I started off ith a 97 Giant WARP ds1. It dident last with my riding, I had Indy S in front and a giant shock in rear. Then i was gonna upgrade the fork to a judy XLC but my local store said the frame would crack! so i said f*ck that and got a FSR I dident want a triple crown fork on the bike... so I got a Judy 100. Ever sense I've never had soo much fun goin off cliffs and takin big hits with this thing. If you're lucky enough to find one in good condition, BUY IT! Judy's are the best and with 100mm of travel ya cant beat it for the price!

Similar Products Used: Judy XC (when converted to 100mm )
fonseca   Weekend Warrior [May 10, 2001]
Strength:

Very smooth
Tuneable with different springs and oil weights
Can take a beating

Should have come with boots
Slight leg flex

I bought it in early '99, and the first thing I did was install some White Bros wipers. Anyone dumb enough to ride this fork in the rain or mud deserves to have bushing problems! Lizard Skin boots are $5 and velcro on, requiring no disassembly. And if you're too stupid to ride without boots you should not be attempting class V maintainance either. I know a lot of you are on a budget, but your LBS should be working on your fork for you.

I have changed my oil twice, switching from a custom 13 weight to 10 weight. When I drained the oil there were only traces of dirt, and no water. I think fork wipers filled with slick honey (and checked after every few rides) is the reason. Also, I use the salsa brake booster, which really eliminates leg flex and helps with brake fade as well. My final comment is that you should not work on this fork unless you own a torque wrench. The torque specifications are given for a reason. If you are leaking oil, RTFM! Minus 1 star in the value rating for not including boots and for leg flex, which I had to correct with aftermarket items.

Similar Products Used: Quadra 21
Judy SL
Manitou SX
Garner Of the Hill People   Weekend Warrior [Jan 06, 2001]
Strength:

probably hefty enough to kill Doyle with it

pukes worse than Calista Flockhart

I got this in trade with my current frame set. Thought I'd play with it before selling it. Liked the 4" travel, and sold my well used Girvin for some new singletrack play (got off the rocks when I moved). Well, there've been more than a few days I wished I still had the old link'd wonder since I started riding this thing. I've put new seals on it, White Bros wipers (had Lizard Skin booties awhile), and changed the oil a few times. There's just not enough overlap with the stancions and sliders to make this thing a contender. Excess wear on the stancions and mo' flex. It uses more oil than my '75 Bronco; I literally top it off after every 30 miles or so I'll actually have a little resistance in it. When it held oil it was a fun, albeit not overly technically proficient ride. I gave it a chance because Rock Shox had finally ditched the MCU charade and built a Bomber. Well, Marzocchi built a better one and mine's in the mail. Did I mention the oil drip stains on my carpet?

Similar Products Used: Girvin Crosslink, aired-out Judy XC, Manitou SX-Ti '97, Judy C hydracoil, Quadra 21R, Manitou Spyder R
Blackwell   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2001]
Strength:

Inexpensive

No boots

This shock came with my '99 XCR, which I bought in May of '00. This is my first suspension ride, so I don't have much to compare it to, but here's my 2 cents anyway. I weigh about 145, and only ride on weekends, so I've never really hammered on the bike very hard; the shock never bottomed out, but after 4 or 5 months, it started making sounds of "excessive topping out" (per the RS manual.) Took the bike to the shop to have it tuned, and they said the fork was fine. Now, about a month or 2 later, the fork is leaking oil, and is back at the shop. I'll probably end up buying boots for it; maybe that will help.