RockShox Indy SL Front Shock

RockShox Indy SL Front Shock

Indy SL Shock

[Sep 26, 2001]
William

Strength:

Very, very light. Good amount of travel. Stiff when climbing. Low maintenance.

Looks skinny and takes time to adjust when you were so use to the Marzocchi forks with huge legs. Not as plush as many of the other forks available today. Not as agressive on turns as I would like it to be. Feels a bit flexy at times.

Good fork if you do not have a strong desire to throw a bunch of cash in something you don't exactly need. For XC riding, it is in excellent choice. The fork is light and that is a trade off. You sacrifice adjustability, although some is available. The forks can just downright be scary when descending fast since I use to ride a bike with the Marzocchi Z-4 and it sucked up and handled everything like it was cheesecake. On turns it takes time to learn how the weight is distributed since it has no type of angle, just straight perpendicular to the floor. I've seen this being blown out at under $100 a pop and I definitely recommended it for a user who wants a decent fork. Unfortunately, these will go back on the garage wall as I am going to test out the 2001 Rock Shox SID XC.

Marzocchi Z-1 and Z-4. Chubby fork from Proflex. Rock Shox Judy SL.

[Sep 23, 1998]
CANDYMAN
weekend warrior

THE INDY SL, IS A PIECE OF SH.... I BOUGHT IT NEW LAST YEAR, HAD 2 DIRT WORK SHOCK KITS PUT IN, THE WEIGHT IS NICE, BUT IS IT ME OR IS ROCKSHOX F'ING UP!
I WAS THINKING ABOUT A 98' JUDY SL, AM I WASTING MY TIME WITH ROCK SHOX, AGAIN?
THE ONLY FORK THAT SEEM TO BE SMOOTH WAS THE SID, BUT WHO'S DUMB ENOUGHT TO FORK OUT $600?

[Sep 24, 1998]
Robert
cross-country rider

WOW SO LIGHT !!!I upgraded to this shock from my first fork (mrz XCR) and it was loads better. I feels a lot like my dad's 96 judy SL. The shock tends to smooth out bumps and round them out, unlike a bomber which just eats it up as if it was never there. The rebound is just too fast, though. If the fork would slow down a bit it would be heaven. My complaints are the flex, the limit in aftermarket stuff, damping, and servicing. In hard turns or hard brakeing you can feel that unwanted flex. You would think that there are a ton of aftermarket goodies. there is basically: long travel, risse cartridge (jones), Total Air, and Super struts. You can't get fork wipers or others of that genre. On my fork I found the internals hard to remove the second time. If you are looking to buy one, get it over a judy XC for the same price. I think it might be woth it.four Flamin chili pepperes!!!

[Sep 24, 1998]
Glen
weekend warrior

These forks, like the rest of the Rockshox line, are too flexy. I thought my Judy XCs were bad until I tried some Indy SLs with Englund cartridges. Sure they're light, but the flex is just not acceptable for mountain biking. Also, what's up with Robert's review complaining about the lack of aftermarket goodies?!!! You aren't serious are you? If a fork is good, IT DOESNT NEED AFTERMARKET PARTS TO MAKE THEM WORK RIGHT! Also, since the Indy line is Rock Shox's lower end line, its made for those who are more worried about price. Thus, if you can afford to upgrade the forks right off the bat, why not just spend a little more money and spring for a higher end fork?Really, there are much better fork deals around - like the $198 Manitou FS-Ti 80mm travel fork w/ titanium spring at Supergo or all the deals on the 98 Marzocchi forks.I got tired of wimpy, flexy Rock Shox forks with completely ineffective adjustments and bought a Z1 Bam. Now that fork kicks ass. I don't even notice the weight difference. and the cost? Only $344 - with absolutely no need to add any aftermarket stuff to make it work right.2 stars because they're light

SGT ROCK
weekend warrior

'97 Indy SL is a great cross country shock - light, lots of smooth travel and it's easily serviced. Mine has two races and over 1200 km on it, and it looks and works like new. Only drawback is a lack of stiffness on very fast downhills - a tradeoff for the light weight. Would be a fiver if it were a little less flexy.

David Lopez
weekend warrior

I just put an Indy SL on my C'dale Super V after suffering for a year with a RS Quad 5. What a difference! I considered Judys, Manitous, and those crazy Italians, but was scared of the horror stories associarted with blown cartridges. I am 6'-3, 220 lbs. and ride hard when I get out there, those dampers would just fall apart under that abuse. The Indy is simple, relatively inexpensive, effective and easy to maintain. It is supple on the small stuff and has plenty of travel to handle the big hits. The only problem I have noticed ismore flex than I would prefer, but it's not enough to take away from my overall satisfaction. I intend to add the long travel kit soon, I expect that it will only make a very good fork even better.

John Escaleira
cross-country rider

This shock works and looks lovely, it is very light at a mere 2.7 lbs. and the amount of travel is incredible. I way about 185 lbs. and still feel really comfortable riding across the tough terrain. The one problem I had was that sometimes when I try to turn the adjustable knob, I find myself pulling out the spring hardware, little problem just needs to be tightened.

[Jul 14, 1997]
Jim
cross-country rider

Like Jay says (below), this fork is very supple and plush. I have a Judy XC as well, but for someone light like myself (6 ft/ 150 lbs), I much prefer the longtravel Indy SL. Lots of hits that wouldn't even budge my Judy get eaten up by the Indy. I've taken it through some rough stuff and have yet to use up all 3 inches of travel. Granted, unlike those Einstein's below I have not driven it into a curb at 30 mph (there aren't many curbs on the trails I ride). If I weighed much over 175-180 I think the fork might flex a bit too much. But I don't so I love the fork.

[Jul 11, 1997]
Jay Wnuk
cross-country rider

The Indy SL is a supple and plush fork, but it is not for heavy riders
like myself. The combination of light weight and long travel would
make it an ideal fork for a beginner or someone under 150 lbs. It
works very well for my girlfriend, but since I weigh 200lbs. the fork
tends to bottom out easily, especially on rapid descents. It works
beautifully for leisurely trail rides, though. Recommended!!!

[Oct 22, 1997]
Ryan Trusty
cross-country rider

I love this shock. It has great travel capabilities and soft and plush damping. The Indy SL is not that expensive for a top of the line elastomer fork. I got this fork for around 190 dollars and I will never regret it.