Pace Shock Front Shock

Pace Shock Cross-country

Barry   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2001]
Strength:

Rigidity, strength, superb seal quality, general build quality

My rather old ones have rather short travel. rebound adjustment limited

Bought these RC35s two years ago - used with Titanium upgrade - for £200. They are unbelievably good for rigidity and durability. I only got round to servicing them for the first time recently (because they hadn't seemed to need it).

Despite the filthy wet winter here last year, and the fact that Pace don't use rubber bootees, no sign at all of any dirt penetration - the grease was crystal-clear. For you colonials on the West Coast, this probably doesn't matter much, but I'd got fed up with forks from over there needing servicing every couple of weeks.

Have just bought an Iron Horse G-Spot with Manitous, and I suspect I'll be "forking out" for new Pace ones pretty soon. Just the best for wet climates!

Similar Products Used: RST, Rock Shox
Jamie   racer [Mar 23, 1998]

Some of these comments deffinitely are shock reviews. I can't believe anyone can think that Pace forks are no good. OK some people may prefer other forks but how anyone who has tried them can say they are crap I just don't know. Pace say regular use of full travel should not be mistaken for excessive softness but if anyone finds them that soft then just get a harder spring or two. I would give them five stars but that would suggest that they are totally without fault and they're not. They are the closest any fork manufacturer has come to perfection though.

Pace Forks Owner   cross-country rider [Mar 17, 1998]

Abe, I have in the past looked for a Pace web site and have come to the conclusion that there isn’t one. I’m sure the guys are working on it as I write this. As for the contact; the UK address and telephone number is as follows:Gt. Edstone, Kirkbymoorside, York, Y06 6PD, UK01751-432929

Troy   racer [Mar 12, 1998]

I was severely disappointed with the flex in these shocks.
It bgought me back to the days of my old Mag 21's by Rock Shocks. On long climbs the legs rock back and forth, scaping my brake pads,it seems, with every down stroke. I was equally disappointed with the seals. They just don't work. Lastly,
the performance over smaller (studder) bumps is weak. At this price, one would expect much more.

Chris   cross-country rider [Mar 18, 1998]

I was very surprised at some of the less than complimentary opinions on Pace forks. I bought my 1997 forks early last summer after reading three tests in different magazines each raving about how great the forks were. The general opinion was that both the Pace and Marzocchi Z2 were as good as each other as far as suspension action is concerned - some way ahead of the competition. The comparisons also concluded that the Pace were slightly lighter and easier to service. 8 months on I can safely say that I agree with all the group tests, the forks really are superb.
I have since ridden many bikes with both 97 and 98 Marzocchi Z1s and have come to the conclusion that the Pace are easily as good (if not very slightly better) as the Italian forks on small bumps whilst being not far off the Z1s on larger hits. Obviously conclusions drawn from side by side comparisons are dependent on levels of maintenance and set up or pre-load.
As for stiffness I have no problems and they feel a world away from a 97 or 98 Indy fork. There is no doubt in my mind that regular servicing is vital for any fork to maintain its optimum performance. I clean and regrease my forks regularly and always clean the stanchions after every ride.

Billy   downhiller [Mar 18, 1998]

I weigh about 250lbs and so my GT STS DH is set up with that in mind. When I'm not riding that bike I ride my Kona with '97 Pace forks on the front. Previous to this I had another Kona with '96 Judy's but that was stolen. Everyone used to say how good these forks were on small bumps. I always kept them well serviced but they didn't even come close to the Pace I have got now. These forks are the very best you can get for a hardtail. My White Bros forks have a slight edge on very large bumps though!

fraser   cross-country rider [Jul 20, 1997]

have got 96 mxcd with 60mm of travel. I do a lot of xc racing and these
forks give good shock absorption, steer well and are very light. i still
rate the full elastomer system, which is infinitely tuable with different
gardes of elastomers and washers. an excellent fork.

Steeve   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 1999]
Strength:

Above all, cool looks, you stand out of the crowd of soap bar shaped cast forks..
fringe appeal
made in the uk (if that is cool, but since steve peat has been rocking recently..)the fork is very responsive, smooth and reacts very fast to repetitive bumpseasy servicing through greaseports

those (summer?) seals!
it turns into a rigid fork when it rains..
i have had new winter seals installed, they were very good,
but a couple of weeks later I crashed, both the stanchions, the crown and a crown bolt cracked..
i probably would have killed any fork on that crash..stiffnes while braking is not too good eitherexcessive dive under braking
(probably springs too soft, but then you cannot adjust the preload)a pain to reassemble

good performance, lack of rigidity, cool looks,
watch out for those seals..