Noleen mega air Front Shock

Noleen mega air Front Shock

noleen mega air

[Mar 24, 2013]
Scott

Strength:

Great stiff, lightweight front shock that has held up solidly over the years and remains one of the better circa "2000-2010" buys when compared to other competitive XC options. No leak problems for me and has been a responsive XC performer. Easy to service and maintain. Manufactured by a true leader in suspension technologies.

Does not have the brand name cache if you're into that sort of thing. (K2 did rebrand these for a period of time) Not a competitive "race" option at the spare no expense level. Limited to 100mm travel.

If you got this shock for under $200 then you got an amazing deal that will last you for several years of XC enjoyment.

[Jul 14, 2011]
DuneDevil

Strength:

Rebuidable.

Rebuildable per Tym's instructions! Thanks!
Actually a good fork when maintained.

[Sep 13, 2009]
Tym Tucker

Strength:

light, stiff, no oil.

air valve strips, leaks. (fixable) compression daming would be nice

YOU CAN REBUILD THIS FORK!!!!!

If you had to abandon your mega air, read this:

First, I bought mine used years ago with a stripped schraeder valve in the top cap. I took it out, reinstalled it with a liberal coating of expoxy glue, and it hasn't leaked in years.

I have rebuilt the innards with new o-rings twice. IT DOES NOT LEAK AIR.

I thought it was a goner recently when the bearings started to go. It got loose and rattled and was driving me crazy. I searched online - with little hope - for a rebuild kit, and found it on ebay.

Here's what you need to replace the bearings and slider seals:

Slider bearing kit, part no. RK016
Slider seal kit, part no RK015

Here's how you do it:

Remove the two 5mm bolts at the bottom of the sliders. Pull the sliders off. Unless you need to replace the innards with new O-rings, leave them alone.

Both kits come with instructions and grease. The seals are straightforward, although hard to pry out. The bearings say you need a special tool, which you probably won't find.

Here's what I did:

The bearings are split. Do the upper first. Carefully tap a small flat screwdriver between the bearing and the slider wall near the split. The bearings are soft and will bend with ease. Bend the bearing in and then pull it out. Repeat for the lower. Only do one side at a time so you can compare the new bearings placement to the old!

Clean the slider well.

Lightly grease the slider wall and slide in the lower bearing. (they are 1mm smaller than the top bearing.) Use a wooden dowel rod or something similar in plastic and a hammer to tap it into place. There is a line on the slider wall to stop the bearing. I used a caliper to compare to the old bearings in the other side.

Repeat for the upper bearing. Do not install the seal yet.

A KEY FACTOR IS GETTING THE BEARINGS SEATED PROPERLY. THE SLIDER WILL BIND LIKE CRAZY IF THEY'RE NOT IN RIGHT. So, take the slider and test fit it. If it binds, get your hammer and dowel out and fix it. It will be very tight, after all it's new bearings. But it should move pretty easily.

Repeat for the other leg, tap in the seals with a wood block like the instructions say, reinstall the sliders, and enjoy a few more years with your mega air.

too many

[May 24, 2003]
Phil

Strength:

Not too flexy, rather light but for XC use only

Leaks air. No parts available to fix it

This fork leaked air from the start till I had to pump it up before every ride. Nice when you know that a Marzocchi holds air for an average 6 to 8 months...

Tried to order parts through several dealers. They were nice but none of them could get the parts from K2. I contacted K2 and they told me they would contact my dealer directly... nothing happened... contacted them again... and again... and I got fed up

This fork is an average XC fork but it leaks air real bad. Customer service stinks even more than the fork itself, so much that K2 IS REPLACING THE ONES STILL UNDER WARRANTY BY NON NOLEEN FORKS... Need I say more?

Don't buy anything from K2/Noleen unless you are planning to junk it after 12 months. You won't be able to get any spare parts form them once the legal warranty is over.

Rockshox, Marzocchi

[Mar 09, 2002]
Andy

Strength:

Well, i got the bike for $400, with the Mega Air. (normally $1250) so i cant complain there. This fork is fairly light..

This for isnt super attractive. I usually set it at about 50 Psi, and its always gone by the end of the day. Right side is fine. Not very adjustable. Feels like a loose headset when u rock it back and forth. This fork doesnt soak up stutter bumps at all.

This fork no one should ever buy. Typically people have it because K2 is to cheap to get a good fork on thier bikes. Buy a Marzocchi, or possible Manitou or Rock Shox.

I havent been riding a super long time, and im kinda limited on money. im only 14 =p. But i do trailride seriously and enter races. so dont judge.

[Feb 09, 2006]
Big Al

Strength:

Super light and rigid. Inexpensive and simple to maintain and rebuild. Spring rate is easily adjusted with air pressure.

Leaked steadily over the years until they were so bad that I couldn't finish a ride before they were out of air. Hell, I couldn't even GET the bike to the trailhead with presure in the forks! No damping as set from factory.

I ended up with the leaky ones and decided to try rebuilding them after their demise. After taking them apart, I noticed that the top-out springs on both sides had been totally trashed and were broken into three sharp pieces each. One of the pieces had been driven about 1/8" into the outside edge of the plastic plunger on the spring side (found...the reason for the bad leak!). Raymond-Associated Spring has replacements (p/n C0600-072-0620-M) for about $32.00 each, but I bought cheapo similar looking springs from the hardware store instead. Warning: don't do this! The spring wire ends will start shaving the center plastic shaft on the spring side of the fork. The ends of the top-out springs must be squared and ground. I noticed this after the first test ride and disassembly inspection, so after some head scratching, I decided to try replacing the springs with 1/2" thick Rubber Grommets from the local hardware store. The damping side required that one of the grommet flanges be cut off and generous chamfers cut all around inside and out, with a small slot cut between them so's it can breathe. The spring side grommet went on "as-is." Adjusted the set screw on the damper bypass valve until the spring lightly seated the ball (Noleen failed to do this at the factory, hence no damping), smoothed out the damage on the spring side plunger, replaced the o-rings and lubed the stanchion tubes and o-rings. Since there are two o-ring grooves on the spring side plunger, I added a backup o-ring just for grins. Got the forks assembled and...presto-chango, they hold air just fine and I also have nice, adjustable damping instead of pogo sticks for forks! To the best of my recollection, below is a parts list of the O-rings required to rebuild a Mega Air Fork (excluding the schrader valve o-rings):

1 each .070 ID X .070 W (Parker 2-004)
3 each .987 ID X .103 W (Parker 2-120)
5 each .924 ID X .103 W (Parker 2-119)
2 each .362 ID X .103 W (Parker 2-110)

5 flamin' Chiles for value because you can buy these forks cheap and end up with an AWESOME fork after an inexpensive rebuild. 4 flamers overall because they are soooo plush now after the above repairs, and I anticipate many years of enjoyable riding on them.

Rock Shox Jett XC

[Feb 16, 2004]
Kristan

Strength:

stiffness (32mm alloy stanchions), superlight, easy adjustment, plushness (very linear spring curve), bargain price since k2 is clearing them out.

None so far on the five I own.

While some report leaking issues, the fork design is simplistic and the actual air seals are nothing more complicated that regular, available at any autoparts store, black butile rubber O-rings !!! If people are having leakage issues, maybe they should try to RTFM, take the fork apart, and replace the O-rings. There are no hydraulics to spill or reasons not to dismantle the fork, nor any special tools needed.

If its a suspension fork made in the past 12 years, i've likely used it.

[Apr 24, 2003]
Jon

Strength:

Stiff, light, durable

Preload and dampening stiffen as air expands on long rides, paint job is brittle, lack of support from bike shop

I got this fork when I first bought my bike because it looked a lot beefier than the stock SID for an extra $100. I was satisfied with the performance except for the weaknesses I mentioned above. I never had any major problems with it except that I've had to ghetto-service it myself. The wiper seals are pretty shot and the shop I bought it from won't seem to order a rebuild kit for it. Considering the lack of support and that it is a discontinued model I may be forced to replace it soon. I will ride on it as long as I can, though. So far this season it has performed well under my 200-lb frame. It's pretty dinged up, but it's on a mountain bike! What do you expect?

This was my first air fork

[Jan 16, 2002]
dex

Strength:

good feel. no defects 00 model no leaks

good strong fork, no repair bills

sant cruz bullet, ellsworth id

[Jan 15, 2002]
David Ambrose

Strength:

Light forks with great sus when not leaking air.

Always leaked air (heh). Rebuilt twice. Bought RockShox Duke XC to replace.

If I knew now what I knew when I purchased these forks, I would have gone a different route. Always leaked from day 1, rebuilt twice, replaced seals, stripped valve threads, bottomed out constantly (and sticks there) even with 75+ PSI in both legs. I somehow managed to suffer through it for over a year before finally replacing.

The first few months they seemed really nice despite the air leak (slow at the time), but then they just kept getting worse.

The rest of the bike is great. Still riding strong.