Noleen Elite Front Shock

Noleen Elite

George Estreich   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2001]
Strength:

Super laterally stiff...no side to side what so ever. Tightest fork Ive ever used. Replaced NR1 with NR2 and it got even better with dampening control. Tracks like a laser. Looks real mean (great conversation starter + anyone who has one will treat you like a brother)

a little on the heavy side. Tall mounting makes low handlebar height tough to acheive (get - stem angle and flat bar) Smashed my rapidfire shifter barrels to smithereens on the bottom out.

Bottom line is I love this fork. I raced for one season in the NORBA circuit in Hawaii (BIMBA) and I used the Judy for half the time and the Noleen for half. I love the friggin thing. Its so tight its like halfway between a sid and no shock at all. (those of you who can appreciate the no shock analogy will love this thing). Not for the meek...for the intense. I loathe the dual suspension experience, I need much more feel...the noleen delivers. Get a softer coil and an NR2 and you can have the plush too. Not me. I dial the preload stiff and rip. When it bottoms out (very rarely) I know Im riding properly.

Similar Products Used: rock shox judy race, manitou sx, a few others.
Shaun ONeil   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2000]
Strength:

I work at a bike shop in Buffalo NY, and I have to day when my collegues pointed me towards the Noleen I was very uncertain, somehow they talked me into it and now I feel it is one of the greatest purchases I have ever made. It handles like a dream and will without a doubt go through anyting. If you dissagree with this it is only because you need to learn how to really bike!

Its the bomb
No side to side movement you get from all those other front shocks out there

Alan   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2000]
Strength:

Good stiff fork, dependable, great performance for the money, reasonable weight.

Will raise handlebar height unless you flip a rising stem upside down... not really a problem in my case.

Best all around fork that I have used to date. Great on single track. Seems plush on small and large hits but a little harsh "in the rough" at speed. Works well for XC racing.
Thought it steered flawlessly until I added an Ionic Major Stiffy brake booster. Now it REALLY does steer EXACTLY where I want it to go: the most confidence inspiring fork I have ever ridden. I am 140lbs and using the RED 200 rate spring.
I recommend this fork to anyone wanting a great performing XC fork at a reasonable price. Follow the instructions CAREFULLY if you install this fork yourself. Have a bike shop do it if you are not mechanically inclined. Then go out and enjoy a great riding bike.

Similar Products Used: '93 Specialized Future shock, '94 Girvin Vector 2, Specialized FSX Carbon/titanium (tapered legs).
Mike the bike guy   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 19, 1999]
Strength:

It really takes the hard hits well. Rolls right over them.
Tracks very well!!!
Can bunny-hop like a crazy person...

no disc mount (no biggie) I can deal with that.

OK the fork's great but.... check this out:Here it is 12ish and I just finished up, guess what?installing a light directly onto the Noleen Elite fork I just got.I putz'd around with a few different ideas when, low-and-B-hold, I found it...
The perfect do-hicky.I installed a simple, single-beam, helmet light, made by Cateye, taken off it's bracket then mounting it onto a cut and re-bent reflector bracket intended for a kid's bike.In a spot where Noleen made a bracket intended for running derailleur/brake cable I was able to mount the light directly onto the inside of the right fork leg. (right in front of the fork's shock)It looks as if it belongs there. It almost looks like a motorcross bike. tee hee :-)Best thing about it, because of the light's location (on the actual fork leg), it doesn't pivot very much. And, if you think about it, the pivot action it does have is actually good... it pivots slightly downward, something you'd want when you're hitting the bumps.I crack myself up. I'm so frikin' creative!!!Now I just gotta figure out how to mount the battery pack (which is no biggie).
+ I gotta get a new bulb to replace the one I torched the other night (woops).

Similar Products Used: NA
Billy   Weekend Warrior [Nov 11, 1999]
Strength:

Very Reliable

Funky Travel

Had the fork for a little over one year. Never been broken. First fork I have had that was so reliable. I have only done scheduled maintance and have had zero suprises. My only bitc* is the way the travel arcs under. This fork does dive under because of the design of the travel, so it does take awhile to get used to. It's probably me but I find it hard to jump with this fork, landings are sometimes sketchy at best, maybe I'm getting sloppy. I really don't like this one any higher than three feet. Nice under pedaling, very little bob. I give it a three not cause it's a bad fork but there after riding some other stuff I found this is not the fork for me.

Similar Products Used: Judy, XCR, Bomber
Tony D   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 17, 1999]
Strength:

STIFF, tracks very well, handles square edge bumps, very, very little bobbing or brake dive

Could be lighter, no disc mounts

I wouldn't pay retail for this fork, but got mine for $150 and am happy. It replaced a '97 SX-Ti w/Speed Springs. This fork is very stiff, I immediately noticed less front wheel deflection. The fork lets most the small stuff through and doesn't activate until more medium hits. Anything from say 6 to 2.5' this fork just eats alive. I would not call the ride plush at all though, it feels much more like a race fork. At about 3.65lb, it could be lighter. Word is that Noleen has an air shock in the works that is retro compatible that'll get the weight down to the 3.15-3.2 range. There are also replacement legs soon available that're disc compatible. Maintainance is a breeze w/the lube ports

P.D. Nick   Downhiller [Aug 12, 1999]
Strength:

Very light, if you are a climber. Stiff, nice amount of travel.

Not disc brake mountable unless you by a new leg which costs $180.

It is a good shock for downhilling, but I have decided to change to a Manatou X-Vert R. And it is not $600 like the site says, I'm selling mine, which is in good condition for $400, O/B/O
It really is a good fork for the money.