Marzocchi Z3 Long Travel Front Shock

Z3 Long Travel

Marzocchi Z3 Long Travel

J-Dawg   [Sep 08, 2001]
Strength:

This is the strongest single crown you can get.

I am only dissapointed with this fork because everyone (Bike shops/reviewers) claim it's "So Burly". I ride a hard tail and after 3 months the stanction snapped, the spring shot into the air and missed my eye by about 2 inches.

To all you Dirt jump and Urban riders if you can stand not being able to turn the bars in the air, you must step up to a double clamp. Otherwise the Z series forks are temporary and may let you down at any unexpected moment. I'm not even going that big, 6 ft. drop is pushing it for me. Do not take bike product advice from a person who wears spandex.

Similar Products Used: rock shock sid. Soon moving up to a short travel statos double clamp.
Corey   Downhiller [May 01, 2001]

This is a great frok. Don't believe any of the losers that say that this shock bottoms out. I've had this shock for 2 years and I've only bottomed out once.

Jerry   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2001]
Strength:

Plush progessive damping, low maintainance, good looking

No rebound damping

A great freeride fork that soaks up anything thrown at it. Only complaint here is that there is no rebound damping adjustment, was able to slow down rebound with 20wt oil(7.5 is stock).In two years have only had fork apart twice to change fork oil to adjustment rebound.

Similar Products Used: None
Kevin   Racer [Jan 08, 2001]
Strength:

Looks Good, 105mm of travel

This fork has to be one of the worst forks that I have ever used. I can bottom this fork out on anything. I mean literally anything. I used this fork for the last half of circuit. I blew this fork in half. I was on the trail and the fork came apart. The male end of the stanction legs came out of the lower leg assembly, completely out. The only thing that saved my a## was the fact that I had not put my disk on the front yet. The cable housing on my v-brakes was too short for the front to fall completely off while I was in the air. THANK GOD!

In my opinion, the Z3LT in a total waste of money. I have had nothing but bad luck with this fork from the very first ride with it. I can NOT get marzocchi to deal with me on it either to get it fixed. The shop said they would help my if I needed they to, but that has yet to go anywhere. The fork is a total loss. I would not suggest to anyone that they get one, unless they have extra money to throw away. To the one's who do like their fork, more power to you all. To the riders who use Answer products, ride on!

Similar Products Used: Answer (THE BOMB) EVERT-R dual crown TPC
Trek Mogule (bad idea also)
Brian Attiyeh   Downhiller [Oct 01, 2000]
Strength:

Very bombproof, lots of smooth travel, low cost, doesn't break down

Great fork, soaks up all the bumps, no problems at all. It has been working great for as long as I've had it. Works well on big drops.

Similar Products Used: judy c, xc.
Dennis   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2000]
Strength:

Travel, steering, beefy

Lil' heavy, get over it

Although I have only ridden on this fork several times, it rocks! Rock Shox should take some notes from Marzocchi. Its so plush...! Awesome intermediate freeride fork. For $250 dollar, you can't beat it.
I will give it many flaming hemmoroids!!!!!
BTW-I weigh 200lbs, haven't bottomed it yet.

Similar Products Used: RS Judy XC
Billy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2000]
Strength:

Plush, rigid, low maintenance, confidence inspiring, 4 inches of travel, aggressive looks, haven't bottomed out yet...

heavy, cromoly steerer, little adjustability.

Great product. Better forks exist, but for only $249, you can't beat this deal with a stick!

Similar Products Used: 1999 RS Judy XC
CobraDMX   Weekend Warrior [Apr 22, 2000]
Strength:

Solid construction, quite light, plush and progressive travel.

Crown bolts

This fork is extremely good especially for the money. It comes with quite soft springs but they are the ProWind springs and are very progressive. This is a Good Thing. I weigh 90Kg (apx. 14 stone) and I have not bottomed them out as such, just neared the end of the travel. The preload adjustment helps a little.

A word of advice to anyone with these forks: the crown bolts. They come loose easily. What you should look for is the fork going "clunk" when you lift it into the air and then hit the ground with your weight on it (eg. riding off a kerb). If this happens to you, don't panic. Just press each side of the crown and look carefully at the stantions (gold bits). One (or both if you are unlucky) will come a tiny bit out the crown. Just take out the bolts, use threadlocker and screw it back in, making sure the top of the stantion is plush (or as close as you can) to the crown. Tighten the bolts up as equally as possible.

Who should buy this product? If you are a cross-country rider who is concerned with weight and "bobbing", try elsewhere. You will lose a bit of power through the fork as it is has soft springs. You could try harder springs but there are lighter forks out there. If you are into downhill or dual, you might want to look for something a bit more solid. Not that these aren't strong forks because they are, but they won't be able to stand up to repetitive huge drop-offs or massive jumps. If you are a freerider then these are good forks - plenty travel, just enough damping and a lot of strength.

Overall, these are good forks. They are solid, good looking (especially with blue FSA kit) and have very nice travel. The crown bolts are nothing to worry about, just tighten them with threadlocker and they won't bother you again. If you can, try before you buy to be sure but if you are looking for a decent set of forks these are hard to beat.