Marzocchi Z2 Superfly Front Shock

Z2 Superfly

Z2 Superfly

Jason Nieman   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight, very smooth, extremely well constructed.

The air fill valves are poorly located.

This is a follow up to my original review, and constitutes a long term test. After 3 years, I am just as happy with this fork as the first day. I completed my first overhaul yesterday, after all that time, and it was a snap (especially compared to some of the other makes). After three years of hard use, there was absolutely no sign of wear anywhere; seals, sliders, etc were all clean. The hard anodizing on the sliders makes a real difference.

There has been one nagging problem since the beginning; the air fill (schrader) on the right fork leg was finicky. I was able to pirate a schrader valve insert from a bike tube and it worked perfectly. If you have a leaky valve, try that trick before you call Marzocchi or a shop.

As to operation, I don't fiddle with forks much, but I haven't had to. I set my air to 35 lbs (I'm 190 lbs) and it is just perfect. Much more supple over the little bumps and roots than any of my other forks.

They seem to be a little more expensive than RS and Manitou, but if you buy one on a closeout, they are a decent buy. Mine came on a bike I purchased complete.

I find it funny that the guys I talk to at the shops (who can run anything) run these...doubt it is coincidence.

Similar Products Used: Mag 21, Specialized Mag 21 carbon, Rock Shox Judy, Specialized Judy carbon, Proflex fork.
shaun   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2001]
Strength:

stiffness, weight (for marzocchi). customer service. they fixed my discount on-line purchased forks for free, with seals that make the forks work much better. only one seal blew, but they replaced them both. really friendly service.

with first set of seals, stiction. and then one seal blew. the schrader valve is almost reachable, but it is not. maybe i have to wrong set up, fitting wise.

the stiffness compared to rockshox made them better no matter what sort of sticksion i was putting up with. when they blew, and i got them back, they worked as well as my atom bomb, but -1/2 lb (or whatever it is) lighter. i bought the 99 fork and i guess i got the updated seals under warranty. the customer service was exellent! i will be buying zokes again. (bargain basement on-line!)

Similar Products Used: atom bomb, rockshok t2, old rockshok judy something or another.
Logan Felder   Racer [Oct 22, 2002]
Strength:

The fork is stiff and handles corners with ease. It's light too.

The valves are behind the brake calipers and are very hard to get to.

This fork is extremly awesome once you get to the valves and can adjust it to the firmness you prefer. I run my fork stiff because it only has 63mm of travel and I want to use it when I really need it.

Similar Products Used: None. This is my first air fork.
Jason Schlueter   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 06, 2000]
Strength:

everything!

air valves under brakes?

This shock is light, looks great, but works even better. I've never owned a SID, but I'm glad I got the Bomber. Super smooth, I get around 57mm of travel, but I live in texas, and thats just fine. This fork kicks ass!

Similar Products Used: manitou sx 00'
jett t2
jim   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2000]
Strength:

Light, easily adjustible for riding conditions, nice finish

Creaks a little, manual gives a poor description on setting it up, no boots. It looks like it is going to be a nightmare to rebuild.

I do a lot of road riding and being able to pump it up is a real benefit. It has some stiction but a little oil on the top seals every other ride takes care of it. It loses about 5 psi a week (about 120 miles). I top it off when I fill up the tires and its ok. With XTR brakes, there is no problem getting air into it using the 90 degree fitting supplied and a good shock pump. I'm not sure how to set correctly the compression damping. The manual wasn't much help. I like the machined arch on this model better than the 2000s. I got it for $259 from Supergo which is the lowest that I've seen it for sale. I'll give it a 5 for value at $259 and a 5 for rating since I don't have much to compare it it and it hasn't given't me any problems yet.

Similar Products Used: Judy, Magnum
Todd   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2000]
Strength:

Does what it's supposed to do, so nice.

I hear the valve, but I haven't had to adjust mine.

I love this fork. I've ridden it hard for quite a few months now and haven't had to touch it. I weight in at 175 and the stock pressure fits me perfect. As soon as I get a chance, I'm taking the SID SL off my Trek 9.8 and putting this fork on, cuz it rips the SL.

Similar Products Used: 2000 SID SL, Indy XC
Joshua Reed   Racer [Jan 12, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight, not a sid! stiff, no bobing on climbs but still feels plush enough for me. Hopefully it won't be like a lot of sids and need air before every ride.

suspect durability, not as light as a sid, but if it holds up it will be worth it, especially since it is not flexy and has better steering precision.

After one epic ride, I really like it. great control and steering precision. It doesn't have much travel, but somehow feels great anyway. It is great because it came out of the box set up perfect for me (155 pound aggressive rider). So far it gets a five but I won't hesitate to re-review if it gives me problems.

Similar Products Used: rock shox garbage, and a 97 Manitou FS ti
Jim   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 10, 2000]
Strength:

smooth action,very stiff,looks,and light wt.

none so far

These are the best pair of cross country forks I have ever tried.They blow away the Sid I had on my superlight.The front end now tracks better than ever and has improved braking due to stiffer design.Pay no attention to the retards that can't get air in the fork ,its a minor hassle but doable. Once you try a Marzocchi you will never go back.Best forks made.

Similar Products Used: Sid,Judy SL,Marzocchi Z1,WB DC 118,Manitou TI
Fritz L.   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 10, 2000]
Strength:

Light for Bomber(3.3lbs w/ cut tube)
Great Dampning, low maintenance
Looks great, nice machine work
Very adjustable
Good value on sale

The fork is flexy
Seals have already blown in less than 100 miles, possible relaibility issue
schraeder valves in poor location
doesn't come with pump

This fork works very well when it is working, you hardly think about it when your riding. It is the best 60 mm of travel you will ever feel and you have infinite adjustability with air. The only problem that I have had is that it has blown its seals or something. It will not hold air when you ride it now, and the same thing has happened to my friends fork. I weigh 185 and my friend weighs 175 and that may be the problem, shouldn't be, but could be. I will post a follow up on the reason and what happened to the fork. Hopefully I will get to keep using the fork and it can be fixed. I would give it 5 stars, but considering this major failure so soon for no apparent reason, I can only give it 3 for now.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z1, Z2 Atom Bomb, White Bros. SC90, Judy XC
BH   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2001]
Strength:

Light, tunable, sturdy, looks nice

Too much stiction, location of damper screws, poor quality owners manual with many errors, very low travel

This fork is light (for a Marzocchi) at 3.25 pounds. Its a great fork for road riding but not so good in the dirt. My Atom is much more plush and the damping can be adjusted on the fly. I think I'm only getting about 30 to 40 mm of travel on the Super. Over the course of the year, I changed the damping oil twice but only just recently the air chamber oil (which requires more of a teardown). I refilled the air chambers with 5ccs each instead of 7cc (not 77 as indicated in one part of the manual) which didn't help increase the travel any. The new oil did slightly reduce the stiction though. This would make a good racing fork because the stiction minimizes the bobbing but it doesn't give anywhere close to the quality ride of the Atom. Oh, BTW with the XTR brakes and the M supplied adapter the fork is easy to fill with air.

Value: for $259, I can't complain