Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb 98 Front Shock

Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb 98

Adam Miller   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2017]
Strength:

Dependable, adjustable, rugged. Tunable for anything between xc and street assault. When i bought it i chose it over the lighter manitou because of its surdier build and air/oil dampening.

Umm after almost 20 years the only problem is finish due to abuse and neglect. That and for the modern world no disk bosses

Rode these hard for 8 years lots of big drop offs, plowing up flights of stairs, dirtjumps, endless klutz moments, and even plenty trail riding. Then i got out of riding and put the bike in a bomb shelter with no door and epic humidity for about 11 years. Got it out and dusted it off, rides just fine, probably should get seals but not leaking. Finish is coming off in spots and crown has an uneven patina. I wish i had held up as well during those 20yrs. Im now a weekend warrior, but when i first got this shock i road almost every day, probably 50+ miles a week average with highs in the 100's

Ruinane   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2003]
Strength:

Plush and smooth. 1 inch steerer and removable too!

Heavy

Generally, I've been able to outride most people on downhill sections without shocks so I always thought they were over-rated. Wow!

The first couple of times I rode with it, I was actually slower due to the extra weight. However, that's because it took my a while to have faith that the fork would keep my wheel on the ground; I wasn't going as fast downhill as I could have. Now, if for some reason I can't take the smoothest line I can still maintain speed and not feel like I'm risking life and limb. I'm able to go faster both downhill and up. I'm also able to get full use of my avid mag front brake. Before this shock, I couldn't because my wheel was always being thrown off the ground and I didn't want the wheel to land with such powerful brakes being used. Now, I don't even have to worry about feathering the front brake; it's rare that my wheel hits something big enough to lift it off the ground. I can't imagine why someone would need more than 80mm of travel, but then again, I couldn't imagine why someone would need a front shock either.

I'm glad Marzocchi isn't as popular anymore. I got this thing barely used, not a scratch on it, for on $85!

Similar Products Used: rigid fork
William   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2007]
Strength:

68mm of pure travel!!!!

a bit heavy, nearly the same weight as my Judy xc 02

I was using my Judy XC 02 that has 100mm, i bought the bomb as a back up fork for my bike, and i was thinking about using it after i read the reviews from other users, but how can a fork that has 68mm of travel can out run a 100mm fork?

i don't know what to say, i was having doubts at first, bottoming it out, and so on, but after turning it up, and riding it on my fav xc trial. i'm not going back to the judy, i can't belive it has 68mm travel, it is the best 68mm you can get, even better then my z3 m80

Similar Products Used: Z3 M80, Z3.5
Jimmy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2001]
Strength:

Virtually bombproof
Set and forget adjustability
The metallic lime-green colour still looks phat on my bike
Marzocchi's Baby!!!

These were my competition forks for racing when I was in high school. Now they've become my freeride forks(until I get new ones) and I just gotta say that I still can't find anything about them to complain about.

Believe it or not I am able to ride these forks off of
5-6 foot drops on to flat landings without bottoming them.
I do only weigh 130 lbs. Heck, maybe I just know how to land properly. Anyways during the last 3 years the only thing that broke on these forks was the oil seal and I rode the damn things for 2 months before I had the seal fixed. They had only enough oil left in them for lubrication, no compression or rebound damping. After they were fixed they rode just as good as the day I broke them in. I couldn't believe it. I know that not too many people are in the market for these forks, but if you are reading this and you are in the market for some good forks I seriously suggest that you consider buying a product from the folks at Marzocchi. I've heard too many horror stories about people who rode other brands (like RockSux) who's forks have completely locked out or worse yet, broke their stanction tubes(Tubes which slide into the legs) riding off drops like the ones I described earlier.
In 2002 I will be looking to buy a real freeride bike and I will not buy a bike unless it's fitted with a Marzocchi fork.

Similar Products Used: 95'Marzocchi Zokes (Crap)
96'Old school Manitou Magnum (ok)
99'Marzocchi Monster T's (sweet)
01'RockSux Psylo's (trendy crap)
Jimmy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2001]
Strength:

Virtually bombproof
Set and forget adjustability
The metallic lime-green colour still looks phat on my bike
Marzocchi's Baby!!!

Believe it or not I am able to ride these forks off of
5-6 foot drops on to flat landings without bottoming them.

Similar Products Used: 95'Marzocchi Zokes (Crap)
96'Old school Manitou Magnum (ok)
99'Marzocchi Monster T's (sweet)
01'RockSux Psylo's (trendy crap)
Rick   Cross Country Rider [Jan 06, 2004]
Strength:

bombproof, bombproof, bombproof

Bought this fork in June 1998 and everyone said "too heavy." Ha! Best fork ever made. Seals replaced 3 times and about 6 oil changes. Takes everything thrown at it and asks for more. Was way ahead of its time in '98, and still holds its own without a whimper. And I ride whenever I can year round.

Always buy quality and you'll never be disappointed.

Eug   weekend warrior [Sep 27, 1998]

Feel - 5 chilies (except for the weight)
Adjustability (Preload/damping) - 5 chilies
Weight - 3 chilies (Uncut it weights >3.9 lbs, more than my entire 16.5 ChroMoly frame, according to Trek.)
Value - 4 stars for US$300I wonder how the '99 Superfly compares to the '98 Atom Bomb.Overall, excellent at 4 chilies, but not one for the weight weenie.

tintin   weekend warrior [Oct 01, 1998]

Own it for a year now. Great fork, specially compared to my old flexy MAG21. I can't understand how some guys still satisfy of Mags and derivated product (such indys) which offer such a poor directionnal control. To Z2 Atom, my only complain is about the positiv travel which (i mesured) don't exceed 2,2 inches...very far from advertized one. Hopefully it is really a usable one.
I'll never buy RShox again...

Harvey Fujimoto   weekend warrior [Oct 01, 1998]

After reading many of the reviews posted here, as well as tests in the bike magazines, I decided to buy the A-Bomb on a year-end closeout from Supergo. THIS FORK IS AWESOME! Besides great looks (I have the polished model), the Atom Bomb soaks up just about anything I can throw at it. Not fearless by nature, I nevertheless found myself going at least 5 to 7 miles per hour faster on my favorite downhills simply due to this fork's smooth action in the rough stuff. The only downside I can think of is its weight, which I don't really notice while riding, just when I hoist it on to the car roof rack. Smooth action, quick rebound, adjustability, and great looks - it doesn't get much better than this!

AKellum   cross-country rider [Oct 02, 1998]

I have been riding my Abomb for approxiately 6 months now. It really rocks! It is a tad heavy but then so am I (220lbs) I have ridden and raced this fork and could not be more pleased. Unless you are a gram freak, this is the best telescopic fork on the market. Even if you are, Bunton Precision Machine makes a Ti bolt kit to replace the bolts and brake bosses and save an additional ounce or two. Their number is (406)932-2378. Check them out.