Marzocchi Z.1 X-Fly Y2K Front Shock

Marzocchi Z.1 X-Fly Y2K Front Shock

Marzocchi Z.1 X-Fly Y2K

[Jul 06, 2003]
Andy Edick

Strength:

suppa plush, endless travel, sexy looking, pretty light for the overall quality. CHEAP

stickers are starting to peel? Does the count? Adapter is kinda a pain for the air.. but o well

Great great fork. really plush, great looking, pretty adjustable.... Ive had this for for ever a year, and i havent done muh at all to it!!! just lube on the seals every ride and it like butta. Great price as well you wont find another fork on the market with this quality and feel for under $300. Buy one while you can!

Noleen Mega Crap

[Nov 28, 2001]
Charles Romein

Strength:

Don't know, haven't gotten to ride it more than once.

Don't know, haven't gotten to ride it more than once.

This appears to be an excellent product but no product is good unless you get to use it. Mine came with a leak out of the box. Marzocchi service center promised a 6 day turn around on the under warranty repair. Six days from delivery to them I called back and was told the fork had not yet been touched. They promised to repair and ship immediately. I called back the next day (coast to coast long distance toll calls)and was not immediately given any useful information on its status. After complaint to Marzocchi management the shop guy called me back, told me the fork was fixed, and promised to ship out it out that same day via UPS 3-day. It's now exactly one week later (14 days from the date they received the fork from me) and I don't have the fork back yet. There was a note on my backdoor this evening informing of an attempt by UPS to deliver the fork but since a signiture was required by Marzocchi upon delivery, I now have to go by the UPS terminal tomorrow to pick it up. I now need strong medication. These guys brag that they all ride mountain bikes. They don't seem to be too concerned that I have a bike that I can ride. Next time I buy a Fox!

Noleen Elite Smart Fork

[Feb 28, 2002]
Matt

Strength:

lateral rigidity, wide range of rebound damping adjustment, durable bushings, weight, adjustability of air springs

no negative spring

For the price I paid, this is a great fork. It's got tons more lateral ridigity than my SID did and it's almost as plush. Plus I love the extra 20mm of travel to get me out of the occasional jam when I find myself on a bad line.
The only time I find myself wanting a negative air spring for a little more top-end plushness is when I'm commuting, so it's obviously not a big deal. It also would be nice to have a lockout for the long hill climbs to the trailhead, but that's nitpicking. The bushings are tons better than anything I've ever tried from RockShox and now, at the six-month mark and over 1000 mile later, I'm finally thinking about taking it into the shop for a little maintenance, just because I think I should, not because anything's wrong with it.

One of the other really nice things is that it's got a low crown-to-axle height for a 100mm fork (just 8mm longer than my SID), so it's not a big geometry change (about half a degree head/seat) from one to the other.

Also, to those who have complained about not getting full travel: 100mm is _not_ 4 inches; it's 3.9 inches. Don't expect 4+ inches of travel out of any 100mm fork.

'99 SID XC 80mm, previous Z1 X-Fly (stolen)

[Feb 15, 2003]
Tomi

Strength:

Great fork!

Great fork, could be better. It gets a little old.

[Jan 29, 2002]
joe therider

Strength:

very plush well designed takes a beating

alittle floppy in fast rocky stuff hard to dial in

there is definatly better technology out there today than when i bought this but i like it it is well built, designed and has not made me miss any riding yet...you can definatly find this fork for cheaper now.

rockshox sid judy and cannandale crap

[Oct 02, 2001]
jason hall

Strength:

Adjustability, Stiffness, Looks, Durability, Coustomer service, fealing confident.

Slack in the bushings

Best fork to ride. RS makes a fork that feels good in the shop but feels slopy on the trail. The Marzocchi doesent have that initial plushness until riden at speed or broken in after a few rides. My fork is on its way back from Marzocchi and I have missed it dearly. I had to ride a Judy Race for the past week and have been resigned to riding on the road due to strange insecure flexey feel and squeaks and popping. By the way for those of you that think that they are not getting full travel their right. If you do get the full travel out of that fork you will hear a loud ping and be ejected, or brake somthing. The fork has progressive compression that keeps it from bottoming out with a hard ping. to measure the travel just put about 10 psi in and use a zip tie after some complex math you should find that it has in fact moved 100 mm

rs judy race(broke in one week)

[Dec 24, 2001]
Jon Smith

Strength:

PLUSH! Reliable

not the lightest fork on the market

A very plush, fairly light fork. At first it can be a bit tough to adjust to soak up the small hits without sagging too much, but it only takes a few rides to dail in perfectly. My x fly is on my cross country bike and rides very nicely, if I were a super weight geek I might opt for something lighter, but its performance outwieghts the small gain in weight for my purposes.
Sweet four inches of travel. Quality and lighness tough to beat for the price, especially now that the marathon is out there you should be able to find a great deal on one.

Manitou EFC

[Aug 09, 2001]
ed hu

Strength:

super stiff, soaks up everything!

raises the front of my bike a bit too much.
wish it came with a fork boot. i put a scratch on the stanchion tube and now it ripped my seal and have to get the whole steere tube and stanchion tube replaced cause it is one piece

love this fork!! its a good weight for the performance and amount of travel. but i don't think i get all 100mm's of it. have to play around with it still. this fork has saved me plenty of times! 4's all around b/c i don't think its perfect just like everything else out there. but get it and you won't be sorry

manitou spyder

[Jul 06, 2001]
axelator

Strength:

stiffness, firmness, rigidity, solidity, stability, constancy, ability to inspire confidence. as soon as i put this one on, i felt the need to jump everything i saw.

?

marzocchi's age like fine wine, the more you ride 'em the tastier they get. they always feel kind of sticky at first, which can make set up a little tricky. however, a year or so down the road, a marzocchi shines and feels like an old friend, while other forks make you bike feel like a shopping cart with a broken wheel.
buy it if you want to go fast, especially down really steep and rocky hills, because you will.

98 marzocchi z2

[Jul 05, 2001]
Albert

Strength:

stiffness
progressive travel
tunability

setup for bigger riders from the factory
4" of travel - or less!

I weigh around 135lbs, and this fork sucks right out of the box for a rider my weight. I read somewhere that Marzocchi's typical customer weighs 185lbs+. They have done their homework, and the stock setup with 30lbs of air and 7.5wt oil combined with the high amount of stiction before brakein make it pretty much useless on smaller hits and slow speed - I even went over the bars once because I assumed that fork would absorb the hit (oops!).

After changing the oil to 5wt and reducing the air pressure to 15lbs and greasing the stanchions with Manitou MPrep and getting broken in, the fork is performing significantly better. Even if you don't change the weight of the oil - change it soon after you buy - the stock oil in mine was jet black after only about a dozen rides! It works great at medium to high speeds, and really works well on drops and big hits. Stiffness is very high - this fork goes where you point it!

After the tuning improvement, small hits are absorbed alot better, but not absorbed with the same completeness as Manitou's TPC offerings - small hits at slow speed are basically the weak point on this fork. If you have a bike with an extremely active rear end, like the Ellsworth, you may have to slow down the compression damping a tad on the rear so that the bike feels correctly "matched".

The XFly does really well on rooted singletrack and rocky uphills and downhills - you can just point it and go assuming you have enough speed. It also carves corners on singletrack very accurately - you go where it is pointed.

Again, the main performance gripe is slow speed, small bump performance - it moves, but doesn't exactly swallow this stuff. The fork finish does become kind of ratty looking after a while, and travel is not as advertised. However, it does make a very nice complement to a 4" travel fully suspended cross country bike.

'00 Manitou XVert