Marzocchi Z.1 MCR 01 Front Shock

Travel: 130mm/5" // NEW Extension Control Cartridge [left leg] // Adjustable Rebound Cartridge [right leg] // New Polished MAG Powerwrap M-Arch // 30mm EA70 Stanchions // Forged disk brake hanger [Intl. Stnd.]

eug   [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

shiny and they work

little flexy (reg. dropouts)

forks are okay for general bike riding. Wouldn't be doing too much moto X style jumps, or anything larger than 5 ft to flat landings. Reliable, low maintenance. Somewhat shore capable (see above). Contemplating going for triple clamp, just don't want the extra coupla pounds because riding up will blow/suck that much more.

Similar Products Used: pogo stick when i was a kid, any push button click pen.
Ed   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2005]
Strength:

Incredibly expensive for how weak and heavy it was. Nowhere near as smooth or well put together as a Fox fork.

Bottom line is that the steerer tube broke away from the crown under mostly cross country stress. I could understand this happening if I was dirt jumping or something along those lines, but this fork at most saw 4 foot drops and smooth trails. My Fox fork has outperfomed this fork in every way and its about a pound lighter. I would have assumed a 5 inch travel fork with freeride intentions could survive frequent use, but from what I've heard since my purchase is that Marzocchi forks are for posers and can't stand up to the stress of real riding. All I can say is stay away from these forks, and I will never buy a fork from Marzocchi again.

Similar Products Used: Foc float RLC
Rob   [Nov 26, 2001]
Strength:

These forks seem to be very good. I'd not had sus. forks for years and everyone said get Z1's so I did. Lockout feature is very useful as I commute on my bike as well. To be honest all I notice is that I haven't got any suspension on the back of my bike!! Wish I'd got the 20mm axle option but I didn't know I could upgrade my Hope hub. Really good.
Would suit anyone due to myriad adjustment possibilities and lockout function. Anybody who gives these a poor review has either not used them at all and is going off hearsay from their 'friends' or hasn't taken the time and effort to learn how to set them up and enjoy them (Or they're too afraid to take them back if they get a problem!).

The lockout didn't work when I got them but Windwave sorted that out with a full service FOC and now they are just grand. Huge travel means some bikes handling may be affected, but get used to it and it'll be ok!

Top stuff. They look nice, feel nice and last well. The importers/shops help you out well and they've got a good reputation. Plush after break-in period. Buy some!

Similar Products Used: Tested Rockshox Judy Race and XC - they seemed to have no rebound control at all compared to my forks, and were very flexy. Rockshox Psylo's - felt a bit lighter but flexed more and the ones I tried had shagged buchings so felt like they about to fall apart.
Jeff Davies   Downhiller [Jul 14, 2002]
Strength:

Great for the mountain, ranges from freeriding to Downhill or just cruising 'round. Good adjustments, I have the z1 QR20 version, excellent strength!!!!! very plush, doesn't flex too much, looks cool (Chrome with red stickers).

GOOD PRICE, MINT CONDITION!! (canadians please)

Not many they were a great fork to me but I'm moving to a triple clamp as drops and a huge 30ft tables are getting scarier, I think it's time.

GOOD PRICE, MINT CONDITION!! (canadians please)

Well, I can tell you this baby is a Beauty! She soaks up the bumps, pops of the jumps, and huck over stumps. If your an extreme freerider then this fork is for you! Best single crown out there!

Similar Products Used: Jr. T's and Z4's
Guillaume Brochu   Weekend Warrior [Jan 23, 2002]
Strength:

1)Very plush, smooth as butter on a hot day
2)Super sensitive, a toothpick-size rock activates it!
3)Very adjustable!
4)VERY stiff
5)5" of travel!!!!!
6)Looks very good...
7)Not too heavy
8)ECC, way better than a standard lock out since it keeps your fork compressed while you climmb!
9)Aluminium compression, rebound and ECC clickers, much better than crappy plastic knobs that breaks all the time!

1)Hard to adjusts precisely, cuz it's very sensitive
2)Changing the oil is a hassle, cuz you have to remove the clickers, remove the stanchiosn cap, and there are still the cartridges in the fork and they're really anoying while trying to measure the oil level
3)A bit noisy, but it's easily fixeable, just wrap an old road tire tube over both springs, and it'll be completely silent!

Very very nice, best single crown fork out there!!!!! I luve it, really, makes my bike feel sooooooooooooo much better! You can't go wrong.... Take a look at www.supergo.com ,they have a few dozens in stock for only 329$US, reeally cheap! C ya!

Similar Products Used: RS Quadra 5 (not a real fork!), 2001 Marzocchi Z5 100 AIR (very good, but damping sucks, and it's not adjustable), 2001 Marzocchi Z5 80 coil (springs doesnt work good in a low end fork, it's like you don't have any rebound damping :( ), 2001 Marzocchi Z1 MCR
jack burnett   Downhiller [Apr 02, 2007]
Strength:

travel is amazing, good price, makes mince meat od rocks

weird noises

extremely good bike considering the way of peformance, dofinitly worth $200

Similar Products Used: marzocchi bombers 03 120mm
Colten   [Jan 06, 2002]
Strength:

I have bought the QR20 version of this fork, and it sure beats the hell out of my old 5" Z5. It is stiff and solid, plush and looks great. Also has the ECC system.

The ECC lever hits my frame when turning if it is pointed out to the side. It does bottom out easily with Stock spring and oil, but that is easy to change and will happen to any fork. Tire Clearance.

I got this fork at an unbeatable price on Boxing Day for $525 Canadian. I was a little scared about them at first since it is alot of money for a small fork, but it is one of the best investments I have made. The ECC is great for commuting, and probably XC, but I havn't tried yet. I will be racing XC with my school with this fork and it should be nice. Bottom line, this fork is Stiff as hell, Plush, and looks great. 5 flamin chili's

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi 5" Z5's, 2000 Z1 CR, 2001 Jr T.
Matthew   [Jan 01, 2002]
Strength:

This thing lands any drop. The lockout feature proves to be very useful when climbing or road riding. 5" of travel rules.

Rebound dampening is hard to adjust precisely and slow.

If you're like me and occationaly tackle a 6-8' drop and need all the travel you can get, definitely get this fork. However, if you are more of an XC'er than a downhill/technical rider then don't get this fork, its much to heavy for your style of riding.

Downhiller [Nov 06, 2001]
Strength:

Plush,responsive and tracks like it's on rails.

None as of yet

Well for starters people....This review is for the 2002
Z-1 "Freeride" series.I find it strange there are reviews for this fork since it has ONLY been out for about a month and the reviews to date are for OVER 3 months.I'm lucky to get my forks directly from Marzocchi for testing purposes.
Go figure huh?.....ANYWAYS.....For those who are considering this fork let it be known that your money will be well spent!! After a short break-in period this fork was taking hits that would kill other "extreme" forks.
The ECC cartridge is great!!!! It allows the rider to compress the fork to climb better with NO PEDAL BOB at all,with a flick of a control on the fork you have 5 inches of what appears to be endless travel.The valve design is a plus as well,the faster you go the more it works to smooth out your ride!!
Aside from the high price this is a good fork because you'll never have to upgrade in the future and it's basically great for all types of riding....EXCEPT for the
XC rider who has kittens when his/her bike exceeds the 5 gram limit...You know who you guys/gals are :)

5 flamers all around for a great all around fork.