Marzocchi XC51 Front Shock

Marzocchi XC51

mike   [Jul 15, 1997]

They leak and are a pain to fix.

Versun Jetericks   Cross Country Rider [Aug 23, 2000]
Strength:

Durability.

Rebounds with the same force that compresses it. It's impossible to find anyone that can service it and Marzzochi can't help you. Really small air reservior that is hard to fill to the righ preassure.

I've ridden probably 6000 off road miles on the XC 400 and it's never been serviced. It leaked oil for the last year and used up all it's travel over even the smallest of bumps. The XC 400 has a very small air reservoir that can be difficult to fill. When I got the preassure right I'd leave it alone. This fork has been through so much hell and still survived that I'll give it high marks on that alone. I mean how many people can say they have a fork on their bike from 1992 that still actually "absorbs shock". Not many. This fork will hang on my wall now as a testment to all the miles I've ridden and all the joy I've had with it. I'll miss it.

Similar Products Used: 98 SID and 98 Z3 Bam.
Dan K   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2000]
Strength:

These forks are extremely reliable and have very little stiction. These old, entry-level, shortish-travel forks smoke many middle-end forks on the market today. Ideal for a cross-country rider on a budget.

The fork's only weakness is low torsional rigidity. They're not exactly wet noodles, but take it easy over tree roots.

So, Air/Oil forks require a lot of maintenance, right? WRONG. I have been hammering on these XC51's for over 6 years - from SoCal ski slopes to East Coat mud, from NorCal trails to gritty rides in Turkey, Spain, and France. I have never rebuilt them, or even replaced the oil (which probably has the consistency of mud by now!) In six long years, I've only pressed up the air pressure twice, and the forks have always performed without the slightest fault. GREAT VALUE.

Similar Products Used: RS Mag 21, Marzocchi Z1
Anony Mous   weekend warrior [Nov 24, 1998]

Hi I have a Kona Fire Mountain with Marzocchi XC400. I am very pleased with their performance. I really like Marzocchi's and think that they are the best shocks out.

Carlos E. Larralde   racer [Mar 21, 1997]

FEELS GOOD, BUT LEAKS VERY OFTEN.

Ross Luzzader   cross-country rider [Dec 10, 1996]

This has been a great shock for me. I have tried many others, but this is the one I like. It is good for the cost.

Dan Irby   cross-country rider [Jun 13, 1996]

I have been using the marzocchi XC 400 suspension for the past two years and have dramatically improved its plushness by: a) completely removing the compensating piston b) using automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in the fork c) adding air to less than the recommended pressure (50 psi) and d) reducing stiction by lightly coating the stanchion tubes with ATF (of course boot covers are then required). With these modifications I've experienced no seal problems at all and the fork performs about the same as a dialed in MAG 21.

Dave   weekend warrior [Jun 07, 1996]

model: XC500 I have never had anything but good performance from the xc500. It is amazing ove anything medium to big, and not too bad over small stuff if you back off the preload. I have not touched anything but the air level, in two years. It is still very plush and stiction free. Bulletproof.

Amittai Dekel   downhiller [Apr 12, 1996]

This is my first front-suspension-bicycle and I like it a lot. I have a hard time finding information on this fork (can have some help). It is a air-oil action and I can't get the tool to pump it up. Trek has a tool that is good for me but it's impossible to get it over here. If you can help me with more information please e-mail me, to: dkl@shani.net.il

Jory MacKay   weekend warrior [Dec 14, 1998]

I just got some XC400s and they're pretty cool anyways I don't have any problem with them except I wish that they came with covers for the scock but I guess that's easy enough to get