Marzocchi Bomber Z4 Front Shock

Bomber Z4

Bomber Z4

Seadog101   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2010]
Strength:

Simple, strong, straight forward

Little adjustability

This fork, I kid you not, was fitted to my bike in 2001.

The only thing I have done to them is adjust the air the pressure to get me the right feel.

They have never leaked, squeaked, gurgled or moaned. I've ridden lots on these forks and they have never let me down

At only 83mm of travel you are never going to hit the big stuff with this fork. But if you want a fork that will just keep on running without any fuss or bother, then this is the one. OK they are no longer available, but if you are looking for a fork which you will simply fit and forget, then this is the one.

Compression damping is altered by changing the oil weight, but I've never even changed the oil, as it's fine by me.

The details:
-Open Bath Adjustable SSV Valving
-Lo-pressure Air
-Cryofit Boltless Crown
-MAG Powerwrap M-Arch
-Rebound Adjusters - (internal job)
-30mm Alloy Stanchions
-Weight: 4.0lbs [incl. Easton steertube]

Similar Products Used: Nil
robmax   Downhiller [Feb 10, 2009]
Strength:

Simple, strong FAIRLY supple fork. Pretty much nothing to go wrong in them.

Dire lack of adjustment ability. All you can do is adjust air pressures and more than likely have oil piss all over you through the shraeder valves while you do so.

Prob dirt cheap if you find them anywhere and a pretty solid fork giving 100mm of usable travel just dont expect any miracles. Prior to this era everything was pretty much coil and elastomer so these arent exactly the cutting edge by todays standards

Similar Products Used: Before these it was RST mozo pro 3.5" which were rubbish. Now its Corsa WC's for XC and 66rcv's for DH
Rodney Davis   Racer [Jul 18, 2003]
Strength:

This fork is absolutely great. Its weight is considerably light when aspects such as performance and strength are combined. This fork feels very very light on the trails and in the air. It has the ability to adjust to different types or rides, and its feel on the trails are killer. The ratio of weight to performance is un describable

None - great product, their older forks perform much better than the newer forks.

If u have the chance to try this forks, or even buy them i wouldnt think twice about it. I managed to get a good deal on them, and i'm so glad i made the desicion to buy these forks. If u're looking into buying these forks u're making a right choice, just look at all the reviews that this fork has had and look at how good they are rated.
I wish Marzocchi had continued making the Z4 series cuz they are killer forks at a great price, great weight and great performance.
I give it 5 chillis for everythin. WHy? Cuz this fork has done wonders, its great and if these forks some how died on me, i'd be looking around to buying another pair.

I actually give this fork 100000 flamin chillis, but it doens't hav ethe option :P

Similar Products Used: Manitau Mars, Manitau x-vert, TRIALED dj1 (heavy, heavy, bad quality much rather go the z5 or z4 series because of its weight and the way it feels)
Krzysztof K   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2003]
Strength:

Good progressive action, look cool.

Keep breaking. Lost all my travel -- bad seals? Rebuilt. Now, oil busts forth from between the brace and the fork legs. Never have these problems with my '01 Judy SL.

Maybe I've just got a lemon but everything else being equal I'd go with the Judy SL. I also weigh 200lbs so that may be a contributing factor...

Similar Products Used: Judy SL, XC, TT, Manitou Six. Judy SL is the best fork I've used yet for the freeride/XC mix I put it through.
Ben Mcgrath   Cross Country Rider [Nov 27, 2001]
Strength:

Strong,Reliable,Very smooth (when you get the pressures right). Compression easy to adjust.
Has pulled me out of more nasty situations than I can poke a stick at.

Although the air spring is easy to adjust,dampening is not. Could do with out side adjusters.
The fork will absorb small hits at low pressures but you run the risk (and that nasty feel) of bottoming. Run the fork pressures too high and its quite harsh.Its a fine line.
The stanchions came loose in the crown.Have had to send it to the eastern states to get it fixed. Not happy!

Looks bad but its not. I realy like this fork, it works great once you "dial" it in. Pitty about the crown problem but it looks like I bought the only dud Z4 on the market.
I like these for cross country racing. I would not recomend them for down hill or duel slalom. I dont think they have enough travel.

Similar Products Used: Z5s
Brendan   Downhiller [Jan 19, 2002]
Strength:

Weight,Smooth,Adjustability,Looks

Need a Pump

Good all around fork for anything you want from downhill to dual slalom to cross country. If you want a nice air fork but don't want to buy SIDs then I would go with the Z-4. The only problem is you need to buy I pump and I'm broke after customizing my bike.

Similar Products Used: None
David   Racer [Jan 18, 2002]
Strength:

Wide stance, accomodates large tires, right amount of travel. Make sure you get the coil fork like I did; Mountain Bike Magazine says the air sprung Z.4's are not as good.

Not a lot of external adjustments but that doesn't matter to me; I adjust my fork maybe twice a year and leave it. Also, the fork makes weird clunking noises but the tech support guys say that's normal for Marzocchi coil forks. I'm just not used to it because I raced only with Rock Shox forks before.

After racing for Rock Shox last season, I decided to go un-sponsored for the 2002 season and I was no longer restricted to racing with Rock Shox forks. So I got this fork. It is holding up good but the springs seem a little soft (I'm only 120 lbs., race in Junior II men's category) so I'm replacing the springs before the 2002 race season starts but the plush fork is good for winter training. I might get a Manitou Mars Super, which I tested. Overall, great value and a great fork. I an going to see if I can sign on with Marzocchi for the 2003 season; they make really nice forks.

The importnt thing is, you can't be strictly devoted to one suspension manufacturer (Rock Shox is gonna kill me for this) because they all make good forks (Except for InSinc, SR Suntour, RST, and other K-Mart brands). The secret is to go out and test them.