Manitou 97 FS Ti - Palmer Stroker Front Shock

Manitou 97 FS Ti - Palmer Stroker Front Shock

Manitou 97 FS Ti

[Oct 10, 2011]
Pat

Strength:

none?

All? is this really supposed to be a shock absorber?

after using, I convinced myself that it was great. However, in the back of my mind, I wondered if the difference that shocks made was supposed to be so trivial. It wouldn't even move unless there was a major drop off, or I put ALL of my weight on it. I could feel every bump on the trail. I road a friends bike with an economy RS on it, his bike was way smoother (and it was even a hardtail). I wish I could have gotten my money back. this fork sucked (and still does).

[Mar 22, 2009]
BD FRANCO

Strength:

TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH.

NONE

LOVE THIS OLD LIME GREEN FORK

NONE

[Jun 01, 2008]
Brian

Strength:

It's held up for ten years, on two bikes.

It ain't what it used to be.

I purchased this fork on clearance at Supergo during the summer of 1998, as an emergency replacement for my stock Manitou Mach 5, which blew out rather catastrophically. I finished fourth at the NORBA Nationals downhill at Seven Springs on this beast. At the time, it was a fantastic fork for the money, and held up to all of the abuse I've thrown at it over the past ten years. However, after today's jarring ride at Seven Springs' new mountain bike park, I think it's time the Palmer is retired.

Rock Shox Judy DH (old school)

[Jun 01, 2008]
Brian

Strength:

It's held up for ten years, on two bikes.

It ain't what it used to be.

Rock Shox Judy DH (old school)

[Feb 01, 2002]
Phillip

Strength:

Used to be cool and rode cool untill I blew it out and broke the brake arch in half.....I was suprised cause I only wiegh 145 cool fork even though I broke it in half also this week broke the stancion tube on an SX-TI

cool but it broke

[Nov 02, 2006]
mark

Strength:

love the green, stiff(I am heavy), takes a beating, did I mention its green

its really really stiff if you are a light weight, about 62mm travel, heavy

This is not my race fork, nor can it be. But I have taken it on some pretty knarly trails to save my race rig from scratches. This fork has also seen quite a bit of urban. Not the 20 foot drop urban mind you, but you know the kind. Everyone gathers round, watching each other one by one trying to stay on a five foot ledge, wheelie contests, stair jumping, six foot drops. There are usually a couple bmx'rs there and a couple crazies who are really good.
This fork has seen 4 foot drops and maybe 2 five footers. This is when I weighed less(like 225 is lite). So this fork has seen abuse and has been bottomed out many a time. I also used it to get around campus. I like this fork quite a bit because I am 240lbs and man this fork is stiff. I come from BMX so when I cruise to the grocery store or around the neiborhood, I dont bob around(even at my weight).
I've read the feedback from others and man-oh-man it sounds like I have gotten lucky with mine. I've had this thing for 6 years now and I am getting rid of the LTS frame for a fetish hardtail and even though the fetish is designed for a 100mm fork, I am keeping the PALMER and putting it on the fetish. It will be a great commuter fork, occasional trail fork, and a no more abuse fork. I cant complain after 6 years of use. I have to rate it high.

marzocchi Z2 X-Fly 80, Rock Shox Judy XC, Manitou somthing or other (my first fork)

[Feb 21, 2007]
Vinnie

Strength:

color

spring/stanchion combo leaves travel short of the advertised 80mm

I'm just glad to see this classic piece of mtb history still getting reviewed-- good, bad or indifferent. I got all gooey over this thing when it came out because a) it was a whopping 80mm of travel, b) Palmer had just shocked the racing world by putting it on a hardtail & winning some NORBA event with it, and c) the green... oh, the big, goofy, florescent green!

I immediately peeled the cheesy custom Manitou logo stickers off it and stenciled "I AM NOT MY JOB" in black down both sides. I bought it for my older hardtail thinking I could replace the steer tube with a 1" (old Cannondale size). The bike shops wouldn't go near it-- not because they didn't want to swap a steer tube, but because, "You can't put an 80mm fork on a hardtail! They aren't made for that much travel!" No lie, 3 different bike shops told me the same thing. Apparently they hadn't read the news about its namesake. This was in '98 and it was several months before I bought a new frame & actually got to ride it.

A couple years ago, I finally laid the green monster to rest in favor of an X-Fly, but the Palmer is still near and dear to my heart. I still wonder sometimes what those bike shop nuts were thinking, especially as I whip around the singletrack on that same old '99 hardtail but now with 100mm of Zoke underneath me. Goobers.

The Palmer is a fairly heavy fork, and the spring/stanchion combo never made sense to me. Stanchions do little more than prevent you from getting the full advertised travel out of any fork. I weigh 175. Maybe at 225+, you can make it move 80mm, but I never could.

The value in this fork was always in how it played the game, not in its box score. To paraphrase Ferris Bueller, "It's so choice. I highly recommend throwing your money away on one, if you get the chance."

SX Ti, 'Zoke Bam80 Z3

[Jan 03, 2000]
Eric
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

smooth, easy to take apart

blown damper all the time

A manitou rip off!
horriabe customer support and false advertising.
Rebound damper blows up all the time, leaving you with a expensive pogo stick
go marzochii or eat it..

EFC, Z-2

[Jul 18, 1999]
Licky Buttsmack
Cross-Country Rider

i don't know what you guys are smoking.
my friend owns this fork ans it is excellent,
he bought it off of another freind for 10 bucks because he thought it sucked and got a 98 judy sl
and the only reasonit didn't get 80 mm of travel is because YOU HAVE TO REMOVE SOME BOTTOM-OUT BUMPERS.
if you spend this kinda cash on something, the least you can do it know something about it.oh yeah, F--- J.W.
that grrl still looks like some sort of a rodent.

[Sep 20, 1998]
Raymond Cox
cross-country rider

With only 3 rides on my forks, thus far I'm a happy C.C. rider. I've waited a long time for a quaility fork to come along that fit my budget. The S.P. fork bakes in the bumps! I love it. These for forks have allowed me to not be 'picky'
with my lines I choose on the trails - they just suck up the bumps. No alignment problem; no leaks.