Manitou 4 96 Front Shock

Manitou 4 96 Front Shock

Manitou 4 96

[Feb 19, 2012]
khaytsus

Strength:

Almost No Maintenance Required, Bombproof, Reliability, Good Looks

Travel (compared to 2012 shocks), Elastomers

I purchased this shock in around 1996 to put on my '94 Cannondale M400 and it's been great ever since. In 1998 or so I swapped out the elastomers for Englund Total Air and instantly transformed it into a plush and better dampened experience. Maintenance was still nearly zero, only needed to top off the air in the air cartridges around once a week, maybe once a year a 30-45 minute take apart and relube.

The Total Air's lasted until around 2002 when I started having problems with them blowing out, and after replacing all of the o-rings and riding them a bit more, one side exploded, so back to elastomers. In 2011 the original elastomers were completely dead, so I replaced them and rode on. In early 2012 I've gotten a new bike and plan to convert the M400 into a work commute bike, slicks, maybe fenders etc. All in all I got around 8000-10000 miles on the shock, perhaps 30% of those on trails, and zero problems out of the shock. It still looks brand new today, with the exception of where brake cables have over time etched into the crown a bit. The stansions always had Lizard Skin boots on them and look new to this day, no scratches, original gold finish.

I expect that the MCU's will again give out in some time in the future but until that happens I expect the Manitou 4 will continue to rock on for me. Best investment I ever made, I can only hope my new bike with a Rock Shox Recon Silver is only close to as reliable as my Manitou 4 has been.

Rock Shox Recon Silver TK/R

[Mar 04, 2010]
oldschoolmtnbkr

Strength:

Product it self. Light weight 2.7 lbs. Almost maintenance free.

none. However, not designed for heavy weight riders. 175lbs and below should get the best out of elastomer performance.

Excellent fork for non-mechanic oriented mtn bikers. Did numerous races to include 2007 Chupacabaras 100km with a 13 yr old bike and fork. Basic maintenance (replace and lube elastomers). After 16 yrs fork is still going strong. Looks!! who cares. Travel?? who knows how much travel is realy used from current fork!!. this is more than enought
Strongly recomended if you can get your hands on one and don't mind looks or age. Worked at a bike shop for 3 yrs and this was by far the best product.

rhx Judy. FOX.

[Sep 05, 2009]
turbodog72

Strength:

Light, reliable, easy to service.

Replacement parts.

Bought used from a friend about 1994. It's 2009 and I'm rebuilding it for the first time. Love this fork. Found some new elastomers and suspensionforkparts.com
Yahoo! Looks great on vintage mid 90s bike.

judy, r/s duke, etc.

[Jan 12, 2002]
A G

Strength:

Fantastic on the small stuff, great on the medium stuff, OK on the large stuff (I'm not really concerned with big hits). Simplicity, ease of maitenance

This fork is a true CLASSIC. Great for XC. Over the 5 yrs that I've had the fork my weight has fluctuated between 190-210, and I ride hard!!! I have replaced ever single component, including the frame. The fork stays!! I have replaced the elastomers once!

[Mar 06, 2007]
Jason Smith

Strength:

Beautiful CNCing. Late 90's graphics are rad! Siplicity rocks and it lasted the better part of a decade.

I never had a single problem with this shock until finally the elastomer wore out on me and i was getting zero travel. what can you expect after 10 years?

Great fork in its day. Serious bling back in the late 90s. Now it just looks cool in my garage. The simplicity of this thing is what made it great. To bad today's forks are so complicated and unreliable. Like another review said, guess thats the cost of progress

[Jan 23, 2004]
Andrew

Strength:

I've had this fork for almost 10 years and it's still the sexiest beast around. I recently replaced the "original" elastomers with steroid-injected MCU's and now I have the toughest 2 inches of travel around. I'm not a downhill/extreme rider so this is all I need on my hardtail.

Short travel. Not for hard-core riding. You wouldn't take your Bentley four wheeling.

The "Mona Lisa" of forks.

Many

[Jul 31, 2001]
Nick

Strength:

Decent durability- I rode mine for 4 years, and I wasn't even the original owner. Good damping. Mine was cheap, but I don't know anything about the original price.

Short travel, and heavy. Lots of flex.

Mine took me all over the country- Utah, Illinois, Tennesee, Wisconsin, and I never had any problems using it for cross country. It has a good feel to it, little or no maintenance is required, and you aren't going to end up leaking oil all over the place and riding home on a bottomed-out fork. Plus there's a fun whooshing noise when it compresses. However, after all those years of riding, I went to do an 18" sidehop drop.. CRACK. I couldn't figure out what had cracked on my bike from looking at it, so I decided I might as well break it the rest of the way so it wouldn't happen when I wasn't expecting it. This time both fork stanchions snapped where they enter the crown. At least I was expecting it. 4 years seems to be a reasonable amount of life for a big (180#) guy like me, if you can stand the limited travel.

Manitou Spdyer, Marzocchi Z4

[Jul 07, 2001]
juan

Strength:

Reliable, easy to maintain, durable

Limited in adjustments, no rebound control. Over the years the fork has become very very flexy.

The fork has been very good it takes punishment well and requires very little to keep it maintained. Unfortunately it is beginning to show a lot of flex especially at low speed in technical terrian. The brake pads begin to touch the rim in this type of riding.
I would probably keep riding it if it were not for the flex and the fact that it's getting harder to find elastomers.

[Sep 21, 2000]
Peter Erdmann

Strength:

Strength. Craftsmanship. Simplicity. Effectiveness.

Lonely. They need to make these again (something similar, anyway).

They certainly don't make forks like this anymore. For good reason. No company could afford to! All CNC'd... this fork gives me wood. I'm going to get a bunch of em.

Oh yes, and it rides like a dream.
Hot diggity!

Everything under the sun.

[Jul 12, 1997]
Tom
weekend warrior

Manitou 2. After four years and nearly 3700 miles, I found that maintenance on the fork nearly impossible after blowing apart rubber bushing again and again. The fine tune adjustment screws froze up after a couple hundred of miles with only riding through puddles. This shock sucks, coil over oil. I would give it a zero, but it not there.