Hanebrink Downhill Fork Front Shock

Downhill Fork

Hanebrink Downhill Fork

m-unit   Downhiller [Jul 17, 2013]
Strength:

light, no doubt

the akward hub size

this is for the silver one. its a good fork for its age, probably one of the first forks that had a spring leg and a cartridge leg. ahead of its time... maybe... idk. most, if not all forks for the time it came out were open bath forks (boxxers, marzocchi, etc..)

the seals on the forks do little, just like every other fork nowadays. maintenance on this fork is just like any fork, i do not know why people are complain about it. if they are leaking oil, its probably safe to say, the dampener is leaking. the seals main job is to keep dirt out. one side is a spring side ( just 2 springs (like older marzocchi stuff, one soft the other firm)), while the other holds the cartridge/dampener(whatever you want to call it). you should be able to find seals at a place that sells them for hydraulic rams, they are just a simple rubber seals, nothing fancy. you could probably rig up the fork with a newer cartridge (fox 40, boxxer, manitou travis sherman dorado, elka, etc) and have a fork that rides better but what they are now works alright. the cartridge has a schrader valve on it, dont know if that is compression or not but it would make sense if it was. its not really reach-able, unless the fork is apart or if you have a long air end

the bushings on this fork are a great design if parts are available (might be able to email hanebrink and ask, i dont know though, they sell electric bikes now). you might be able to find them at a bushing and seal place (i doubt they are a special design to keep cost down) they can be removed without and special tools. i there is on that goes right behind the seal, at the bottom of the outer leg, it has an edge on it and the other slides up and down and is attached to the end of the inner leg.

i know these have adjustable travel but i am not sure how it works

Similar Products Used: all forks basically ride the same, when comparing apples to apples
nick bayne   Downhiller [Jun 04, 2008]
Strength:

The 'World Cup 7-10' is indestructable. The crown and overall manufacture is solid and it's really easy to strip and rebuild. If i can't be bothered an MX garage does it for me. Rode this all over Europe and UK (Including some big runs in The French Alps) and they have never let me down. Very smooth compression and return.

Bushes have a tendency to slide (just hold them in palce with Blue Compound). I'm 5'10' and sometimes find them heavy but they are also huge so that's forgivable. Very tall.

I can't comment on the smaller Hanebrink forks. Don't buy these if you don't abuse what you currently have. These really do need treating hard to get the most out of them. Don't buy them if you are not strong enough to power a big rig with a little extra weight on the front. DO buy if you want a fork that won't break, if you're an agressive/strong rider and if you enjoy going fast downhill without worrying about 'that boulder' and bouncing off BIG drops trusting in Forks that will neither snap or bottom out, throwing you off (you're more likely to snap the headset from the frame)

Similar Products Used: Marzochhi, Rock Shox.
Top Dog Racer   [Dec 06, 2001]
Strength:

These forks are pretty strong. I've killed 5 squarels, 4 rabbits, and 1 jackass with them. They are still straight. They look beatiful hanging over my prize catch's.

They work just fine as long as you use them on flat ground.

I had a volvol and I reck it and they gave me a new one. So what is the guy below me talking about. The only reason you guys break your forks is because you haven't welded them shut yet. Take out the dampner and springs and fill it with lead, then weld the sliders shut. The forks will be full proff and last you forever............

Brittny Spears rocks.....

Similar Products Used: monster T, foes'F1, jurnor T, huffy T, and finally a head shock.
matt   Downhiller [Feb 26, 2002]
Strength:

light, looks great

poorest quality ever seen, spares

When I got this fork, I was really surprised, how such a backyard- manufactured "thing" could ever be sold here in Europe. After the first Rideout the cartige blew out and could never be fixed since. The man on the lathe doing the seals must be blind!!!(What is quality control???) 2 Months later the left Leg cracked because of the bent brakeadapter.
After I got a new tube (this took about 4 Months because there is no service here in europe) the spring-rod inside the right Leg broke underneath the Top Cap because of a sharp egde from the Thread! Unbelievable!
As a Student I really don`t have enough money to buy a brandnew fork every season- but one thing`s for sure: I will never ever buy an american- manufactured fork again! Some people don`t seem to know what is ment by "tolerances"
Sorry but this fork is der allerletzte Scheißdreck!!!
This fork is good for posers- but thats it!

Similar Products Used: RS Boxxer, Votec USD, Marz. Shiver/MonsterT
DAVID FRANCIOSY   Downhiller [Oct 30, 2001]
Strength:

LIGHT AND STRONG AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE SO STRONG TO LIFT THE FRONT END UP(UNLIKE SOME OTHER U.S.D FORKS)

DO NOT LIKE THE UK WEATHER,NOT VERY EASY TO SET TO YOUR WEIGHT,LEG GUARDS DID NOT FIT THE

I HAD TO SEND THE FORKS BACK TO DAN SO THAT HE COULD HAVE A LOOK AT THEM AND SORT ANY PROBLEMS OUT .HE ALSO SAID THAT HE WILL SORT OUT THE LEG GUARDS FOR ME AND MY FRIENDS WHICH TO ME IS VERY GOOD SERVICE FROM THEM WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE THIS IN THE BIKING WORLD???

Similar Products Used: Z1 MCR UD 150
Warren G   Downhiller [Apr 27, 2004]
Strength:

THIS IS AN UPDATE- AS YOU CAN SEE FROM MY REVIEW BELOW I HAD SOME POSITIVE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THIS FORK UNTIL I BLEW THE DAMPENING OUT LAST NIGHT RIDING SOME SINGLE TRACK. THIS FORK CAN'T HANDLE ANY ABUSE. I WAS RIDING ALONG AND HIT A ROCK AND THE DAMPENING BLEW UP. THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. THE SAD THING IS IF I CALL UP HANEBRINK, THEY WILL TRY AND CHARGE ME FOR PARTS WHEN ITS CLEARLY A PRODUCT FAILURE.

EVERYTHING- FRONT WHEEL IS VERY HARD TO REMOVE AND PUT BACK ON, DAMPENING WILL BLOW BECAUSE THIS FORK IS DELICATE AND PRISSY. IT MAY LOOK TOUGH BUT I RODE MY OL' MARZOCCHI 4" TRAVEL FORK SO HARD- I WOULD BOTTOM IT OUT ALL THE TIME AND IT NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS.

AT FIRST I TRIED TO GIVE THIS FORK A CHANCE. I COULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DISSED THIS FORK SO HARD AND THEN I FOUND OUT FOR MYSELF WHY MANY PEOPLE HATE THIS FORK. BOTTOM LINE: I WOULD RATHER HAVE A FORK WITH LESS TRAVEL THAT IS RELIABLE THAN A FORK THAT CLAIMS 9" OF TRAVEL YET IT BREAKS UNDER NORMAL USE. I GUESS I WILL CUT MY LOSSES- I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO BOTHER FIXING THIS FORK UNLESS I CAN DO IT MYSELF AND NOT SPEND ANY MONEY.
THESE FORKS SUCK. THEY WILL FEEL PLUSH FOR A WHILE BUT ITS SCARY HOW UNRELIABLE THEY ARE MADE.
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING ONE- GET A MARZOCCHI OR ROCK SHOX- THERE IS A REASON NOT ONE TOP RIDER USES A HANEBRINK FORK- THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: RIGID FORK, POGO STICK. THIS FORK IS ONE OF A KIND- THERE IS A REASON NO BIKE SHOPS WILL CARRY IT- IT WILL BREAK EASILY, UNRELIABLE- UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED.
andrew   Downhiller [Jan 22, 2002]
Strength:

very light and strong

needs frequent maintence in wet conditions

i havent had these forks for long but if u clean em they work perfectly...ive taken some huge drops (15 ft +) and havent had anyproblem nice and sommoth as long as u keep them clean very easy to work on

sean c   Downhiller [Dec 15, 2001]
Strength:

low price

breaks way to easy, i live in FL and had to send it back twice. Will not warrenty bent leg(s).

for a beginer it is a good inexpensive suspension fork. Someone who actullay races or freerides, not a good idea to ride, unless dan sponsers you and is replacing the fork after each ride

Similar Products Used: n/a
Jesus Santiago   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2007]
Strength:

god for my weight on the rebounds when landing

lower crown i only rode the fork one day and the lower crown broke so im here to ask for some help and ask if anyone has any crowns to the fork i dont wanna buy a whole fork so if ya do email me jay4u2nv29@yahoo.com it would be great help thx

im here trying to buy the piece and i recommend the fhe product eventhought mines broke the same day but maybe it had a crack or i made a mistake on teh set up but its good stuff lol

Similar Products Used: none i only rode my bike with it and my friends bike we had the same forks but after that i ahvent rode more downhill i been on just riding
Jesus Santiago   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2007]
Strength:

god for my weight on the rebounds when landing