Girvin Vector 3 Front Shock

Girvin Vector 3 Front Shock

Girvin Vector 3

[Oct 31, 2009]
5speedsho

Strength:

UniQue design, durability, tight ride control, lightweighT

original elastomer, i replaced with spring!
Not for any one who is in/un/ not capable of rebuilding it alone. As parts are scarce, rare.

Still a nasty looker, rides tight and multi link still takes a hit like a sidewalk curb straight on with no issues. Super light combo. Worth every penny. I wish somebody would build a new model lighter, stronger and even Flashier, it's the sexiest Suspension fork ever built and still STRONG after 10 years. ok, I have to go polish them, later

Rock Shox, manitou

[Jul 11, 2001]
Stephen Blake

Strength:

brilliant tracking, no brake rub, minimal diving on braking,light weight as stock but upgraded with risse genesis they are awesome for the cost, individual looks in a world of telescopics, easy to work on ( if you can see it you can fix it),

waaay overdamped with original ODS unit,exposed and cheap bushings,do not jump with these forks if you want to ride home on them one metre drop offs is as good as it gets, has to be frequently cleaned to keep them plush ,travel limited to x-c only, you must upgrade the damper and the risse genesis turns them into excellent forks that perform on a par with current forks,Mountainspeed speedspro spring uprades are pig heavy for the performance increase and you still must change the oil wt , the noleen shocks if you can find them will pi** oil on you after a hard session speak to anyone who has them( or had them)

If you still have an old school Proflex, or are using vector forks like me because you're poor, then you must dump the MCUs because they will be shot by now and do not perform like proper springs anyway.( Severe rising rate and wicked rebound). get the Risse ,lose weight and get smart. Without the Risse genesis they score at best a three out of five ( it was higher whe they were introduced because the other forks were crap back in the day) but with the Risse they get a four. They lose a point for the lack of adjustment as the damping must be set at the factory. The value is good if you have the |Vetor already and do not not want to spend more cash on a new fork or buy a secondhand fork from Hans Rey's Older fatter and less talented brother.

[Mar 27, 1998]
Iori Yagimi
racer

To hell with this product!To all who are using the a/m fork, to hell with you all!!!I have never seen such an over-advertised, overrated piece of junk before in all my years of competition!I have been kicking butt for the last 3 years, and the guys who have the most sore rear ends are, or rather were, riding this piece of garbage!Where I come from, the only racers using this fork are the guys who come in in 9th - 10th positions(aka last, to me, that is)The top three dominating riders in the mens' expert cat. have been using RSTs and rigid forks for the last season and guess what.....we're still winning!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAAAAHHHAHAH!!!!!

[Jul 14, 1997]
Eric
racer

I don't like them. they make a lot of noise. speed springs make them much more plush.

[Jul 15, 1997]
George Arnold
weekend warrior

ANY COMPANY THAT DOESN'T STAND BEHIND ITS PRODUCT SUCKS. PROFLEX SUCKS. ROB GIRVIN SUCKS. K2 SUCKS. THEIR DEALERS SUCK. ALL OF US WHO BOUGHT THEIR PRODUCTS ARE SUCKERS!

[May 18, 1998]
Bill the Beast
racer

Been racing the last 2 seasons, currently as an exp vet, and have been riding for a while besides and have just now hung up the trusty Girvin. I have nothing bad to say about it,the vector 2 with simple MCU's handled everything I subjected them too and with simple maintenance performed with reliable aplomb.
I did need to get parts from Girvin from time to time and it was tough until I got the magic #. Now I am waiting for a fresh fork from Speedgoat to arrive, I'm making the plunge to sliderville and will be back with a report on that soon....The Beast

[May 17, 1998]
Geoff
weekend warrior

THESE FORKS ARE CRAP!!I HAD THEM AND I BENT THE DROPOUTS ON THE LEGS. NOT PLUSH ENOUNGH. MCU'S GET STIFF IN THE COLD. CONSTANT TUNNING AND REPAIRS ON THE LINKAGE SYSTEMS. THEY ARE BIG, BULKY AND JUST PLAIN SHITTY!!!!!!! SUCKY CRAPY THEY LICK MY NUTS DON'T DESERVE A RATING BOB GIRVIN CAN LICK MY SWEATY NUT SACK AND THE FORK CAN BE CRUSHED BY A TRASH COMPACTER GIRVIN AND THEIR FORKS ARE FUCT

[Nov 14, 2000]
Will Render

Strength:

Rigid, plush, SSWWEEETTT

lots of Maintenance

I see a made a post hear a few years back... I have made a lot more upgrades to my vector1 shock a long with tips and other links.. if you want to change the setup of your shock or look for tuning tips take a look at my web site..

amp, cross link

[Aug 06, 2000]
Ken

Strength:

It works. Stiff torsionally for when it was made. Different design.

Overdamped, I'm glad someone finally told me I could run other oil wts. Feels funny in bumpy tight turns and turning dropoffs with the J-curve.

This is the most fun I've had reading reviews. So many guys just plain blasting each other...especially over a product that's not that big a deal. For me, it's worked fine. The next fork I ride will be much better. But I'm a sucker for different designs, and I respect a fork that could be so different but be perfectly competitive to other forks of the time. I'm gonna stick it on a beater-bike and tool it around to death just 'cause. The fork performance can always change with a different shock, and as a conversational piece its entertainment value will last forever.

[Jun 12, 2000]
Ron Harrall

Strength:

Interesting to look at

Dropouts bend on every root, linkage snaps.

Dropouts constantly bend on every ride. Linkage has snapped on my Girvin and my friends, never tracked straight. Also, my 856 frame cracked in two places, my friend checked his, and sure enough his was cracked in the same spots. Pro-Flex did make good on their warranty though. If you're buying this fork now, it's probably used, I'd stay away. By the way, I worked at a bike shop building them.

Rock Shox (various)