Girvin Shock Front Shock

Girvin Shock Front Shock

Girvin Vector 2

[Aug 24, 2008]
david.bolden

Strength:

Tracks like a rigid fork, is plush, very durable zero flex!!

Tends to puch up on th ehead set. A head lock counters this issue. Not disk brake compatible, hard to find. Little heavy by todays fork standards.

This fork is great. It came on the Proflex 957 I bought. I have the carbon leg version. I was concerned about the durability of the legs but that concern was unnecisary. These things are tough and durable. THe fork moves in a "J" motion shortening the wheel base slightly allowing for tighter steering. I could throw this bike into any corner with no concerns. It would track through the corner like it was on rails.

Marzoci, Rock Shox SID

[Sep 22, 2000]
chris c.

Strength:

NO VERTICLE FLEX!!!!!

A lot of linkage.

I bought this shock as soon as it came out because I was tired of the verticle flex in both my Manitou & Rock Shox. What a difference! I have been riding this shock since Jan. 1996 & have not had a single problem. Since my frame is an older Gary Fisher it has a very compact geometry, and with the Girvin's backward dropouts, the wheelbase feels very short making it smooth as hell. I don't know how I could ever go back to a telescoping fork.

As far as customer service, when I was putting the fork on I called Girvin for tech support. The operator immediately connected me to Bob Girvin! He talked me through the process and offered to send out the latest owners manual for the fork (it originally came with the manual for the original Girvin with the stem attached).

For what I paid at the time compared to other forks in the price range, it has been worth every penny!

Manitou, Rock Shox

[Apr 05, 1999]
Jim Frost
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Tracks like a rigid.

Horribly tuned by default, easy to knock out of alignment.

This is a follow up review to one I made a couple of years ago (see below).The fork was a Vector ODS AL which I extensively retuned (see http://world.std.com/~jimf/biking/vector.html).After retuning the fork worked very well; supple and excellent tracking. For the kind of riding I usually do the fork was nearly perfect.Unfortunately as the bushings wore it became more and more difficult to keep them quiet and moving smoothly. New seals helped a lot, but I could never get the smooth action of the new fork back for more than a few weeks at a time. It felt like I was doing a full teardown almost every ride.Last summer I took a relatively minor header and the crash knocked the fork out of alignment. It appears that I twisted something in the lower link; I just couldn't get it straight again, even after following Girvin's re-alignment instructions.I'm sure a new lower-link would have fixed the problem but I was pretty tired of the pivot maintenance and opted intead for a new Atom Bomb.To my surprise the AB tracks almost as well as the Girvin (which makes it head and shoulders above everything else I've tried). I had it tuned to near perfection in five minutes, and to perfection in two rides. Compared to the six months I spent experimenting with the ODS unit on the Girvin that was a dream. Similarly, maintenance on the AB is a snap -- way fewer pieces, way longer service interval.Extra-heavy long term maintenance and poor tunability make me downgrade my review to 3 chilis.

Rock Shox Indy, Judy.
Manitou Mach5.
Marzocchi Atom Bomb.

[Apr 21, 1996]
Arnold J. Chin
cross-country rider

The Girvin Vector II is the best investment I ever made for my bike!! This replaced my Rock Shox Mag-21, and I found the ride to be much more plush and smooth. While riding on washboard type terrain, I found there was absolutely no independent leg movement and my handling was superior with this suspension. While riding over divets in the roadway, my bike practically springs out as if it wants to move faster! I would highly recommend this suspension to anyone in the market to buy one!

[May 14, 1996]
Chris B
cross-country rider

Go get yourself the original straight-shooter, a Girvin! The new AL series with oil dampening handle everything you could think of, and have no stupid braces to break. Its lighter, (even down to 2.2 lbs if you have the money for thermoplastic), stronger, and way more reliable (I've ridden mine for two years of Trials and Harder-than-hell cross country with NO problems). Get a clue, get a Girvin.

[Feb 28, 1996]
Ed Steadi Oates
cross-country rider

Considering that when I first bought these shocks, the steerer tube assembly was on recall due to an oversight of Girvin, in only securing the assembly with one pin, my opinion of these started off low, I have to say however that with the new tube going right I hav'nt had a single complaint. Whilst adjustability is on the awkward side of impossible while on the trail these forks manage, I fell, to beat Rock Shox hands down.
1.THERE IS NO STICTION as with telescopic forks
2.THE REBOUND IS ALREADY PERFECT
3.STEERING IS NOT MUSHY
4.THEYRE AS LIGHT AS JUDY SL'S COST LESS AND ARE BETTER AS ABOVE.
Whilst adjustability is on the poor side, you really should know where youre going well enough to take full advantage of the forks,(ie fast), and as this is the case, you can preset the suspension before you go. SIMPLE. And just in case you say, what would he know about Rock Shox, all my mates have got them, and theyre now saving their money for a Girvin.

[May 19, 1996]
David S.
cross-country rider

I have had my Vector 2 for about a half year now and so far I love it. On fade away corners it drives the tire into the ground with no independent leg movement and absorbs everything in its path. Unlike the Manitou 3 that I previously owned, the Vector 2 has very good dampning (eventhough I am not fortunate enough to have the ODS unit). Perhaps I will buy an ODS for the fork but even if I don't get around to it I will still have an excellent fork.

[Jan 09, 2000]
Ode Bike Scribe
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Ridgid takes big hits well

Maintance can be a pain.

The Shock I have has the ODS and has been retrofitted with a speed spring. I bought this shock used, because I had spent soo much on my frame and I liked the fact that it looks different from the rest. Semi annual greasing is a bit of a pain, but I like to tinker so it fits me. (Hey I used to own British Cars). I am planning on drilling it so that future greasing can be done with a grease pump. As far as I am concerned it is a keeper - Plus not everyone has one. I derated it to 4 chillies because not everyone is interested in maintaining their own equipment.

Mantitou Mach 5

[Jan 29, 1997]
John
cross-country rider

important info!!! If anyone is considering buying a girvin pipeline chubby. call girvin or your local retailer first!!! I found out the hard way that they are all being recalled and won't be fixed until march at the earliest!

[Jan 08, 1997]
Dave McDermott
downhiller

Best darn shocks a fat wad of cash could ever buy! They will cost you an arm, a leg and maybe a first born, but they will ride like no other. I've had them for a few months now and I'll never go back to Rock Sux again!