Girvin Pro-Carbon Shock Front Shock

Girvin Pro-Carbon Shock Front Shock

Girvin Pro-Carbon Shock

[Nov 29, 2001]
lippy

Strength:

looks, ummmmmmmm... that's all.

heavy for a fork at this price, shock not upgradeable,

heavy but works. i'm a wt.weenie and this fork is about a lb. too heavy. but it looks soooo cool.

rs judy

[Sep 25, 1998]
Garner of the Hill People
cross-country rider

From the reviews you've pretty much got the idea that this fork is a dream to ride, but there have been many comments about poor service. Allow me to share my own experience. i have the '97 Girvin Crosslink Elite with the Nr2:I ordered this fork via the mail from Irvine Bike source. At about 700 miles my seal blew. I took it to the nearest K2 dealer (you know how much they hate the words mail order). The guys at Cycles Unlimited in Springfield Mo said no problem. For $8 shipping I had no warranty hassles, no paperwork, and no phone chases. Noleen sent them a reconditioed shock unit in less than 5 business days. Plus, they swapped me a softer spring that better suited my weight. Now that's service. At 1000 miles I treated the old shockster to a new set of seals and bushings to keep up defences against the Ozarks elements. These cost me $25 bucks for everything, even new grease port screws and other non-wear items. So, after a hard year of all-seasons riding I still have a great for that works like new.This fork is loads better than the Englundized Judy on my second bike and lives up to all of its claims. Perfect steering precision, consistent effective head tube angle throughout all 3 inches of travel, zero flex, and the smoothest zen ride available. This is the third bike I've had it on (a steel Schwinn HT) and the Girvin is the starting point for any build. It's easy to stay on top of the maintainance with a few zaps form the old grease gun. Buy two today.5 big ol' flamin' chiles

[Mar 23, 1998]
Kurt Useldinger
cross-country rider

I first installed the 97' Pro-Carbon on my Ventana FS Marble Peak 8 months ago and I installed a 98' ELT on my Huber Aluminum Hardtail. THIS FORK IS AWESOME!!! I used to hate riding my hardtail, it had a Mach 5 Manitou with speedsprings- now I love riding my hardtail with the Girvin Fork.The thing eats bumps, great in technical rocky stuff, super rigid laterally ( nothing else comes close), great downhilling, and really easy to maintain. Buy a grease gun.I love this fork.

[Mar 16, 1998]
ERIK BALAY
cross-country rider

For 10 years I've been riding, HARDCORE!
For 5 years I've watched and researched suspension manufacturers.
Finally I placed all my bets on the Girvin Carbon, Noleen and K2 as the winning decision.
What a F--KING MISTAKE!!! $600 for what? To support the as--oles that make this sh-t. To be treated like an ignorant novice, and then to wait months for a fork that doesn't even fit my frame. Thats right, I orderd a 1 steerer tube, they say,No Problem, we have a conversion kit just for you. (an extra $50)
Save $100 bucks, and buy a BOMBER! 3 days later I was riding on cloud nine,
not to mention MARZOCCHI manufacturers live to satisfy your every suspension need.

[Nov 05, 1997]
Ben Cashman
cross-country rider

Finally, after seemingly endless days of waiting for the 1 conversion kit and hours of fiddling to get the thing to fit on my frame correctly, I have my new Pro-Carbon up and running, and it rides even better than i was hoping. My bros all have Girvin forks and convinced me to get with the program and get one, and i'll tell you it's the best investment I've made on my bike yet... makes my MAG 21 feel like a pogostick. This piece is just plain rad! Can't wait to go out and rip tomorrow! Only drawbacks are K2/Noleen customer service and the $600 price tag, but I got a sweet deal so that doesn't matter! Five flamers for this bad-ass...

[Nov 01, 1997]
Tim
racer

great product. grease ports!!! simple design with less parts then the old Vector forks. The NR-2 shock (I have an elite fork) is soo plush. very smooth on the small bumps, and soaks up the largest hits like nothing. test ride a pro-flex at your local dealer and see for yourself.

[Oct 30, 1997]
allen
racer

by far the best fork to come along is the crosslink - now with smart shock technology nothing else is in the game anymore - what can they think of to top this? Ten chilis

[Apr 05, 2000]
Mark

I bought this fork used here (clasifieds) for about $225.00. I don't think I would pay full retail, but for this price it is a bargain. I installed the fork myself, and setup is a bit tricky, you need enough spacers to keep the "critical dinension" correct. I also bought a lower rise stem to keep my riding position the same.

Performance has been flawless. It took a few rides to dial in the preload and the damping, which couldn't be easier. Tracks awesome and is very smooth. Little to no maintenance is required. I would definetly recomend this fork to any cross-country rider. I think the weight is about 3.2 lbs, which is very respectable for the performance.

[Apr 05, 2000]
charlie

Strength:

nice and stiff, wonderfully light, travel is supple without being squishy

i bought mine second hand, but they are expensive if bought new, method of failure(not just for this fork, its inherint to carbon fibre/thermoplastic)

i originally rode a r.s. quadra. the next fork i owned was a judy, and with it came a ten fold leap in what i expected from my suspension. after having the girvin(or noleen, or k2, whatever you may choose), i have again experienced a ten fold leap in my expectations. the fork is wonderful. it soaks up bumps, but you dont loose feel for the trail. it tracks like all get out, and it shows very little brake flex(i ride maguras). the only other fork i have ridden that even came close to it was the halson inversion fork.

as for the company, i did have quite a wait when mine needed repairs. i dont know exactly what the problem is there, but they are very slow in getting things done(things which one would think could be taken care of rather rapidly).

i did crack a fork leg while landing a fair jump, but in all fairness, i landed slightly off(the front wheel was leaning slightly to one side). if it had been a metal fork, there is a fair chance that the fork would have bent and i would have kept going until i chose to stop, but being a carbon fibre leg it flexed in, cracked slightly, and then release the rest of its energy by shooting back up again(and hence, throwing me over the side of my bike for a nice little slide along my stomach). this was an unusual case, and i think a very rare one, but it is something to keep in mind.

overall, i would say that if you can get your hands on one for a reasnoble price, do it, otherwise try and get your hands on a halson. other forks are alright, but they just cant compare.

r.s. quadra, judy. manitou 2,3,efc

[Oct 29, 1999]
TMathis

Strength:

Easy maintenance, rigid, and cool looks

Uh...not for jumping, noisy, and not for me.

Uh I have mixed feelings about this product, but I appreciate my negative feelings are based on the fact that I'm not the type of rider for this shock. I wanted a sturdy shock that was easy to maintain and that was what I got if I was able to stick to pure x-country riding. They were stiff, fast (minimal bobbing while sprinting), and reliable. Unfortunatley, I weigh-in around 220-lbs and when the trail drops off suddenly, oh, about three feet or so and they be them little ramp-like bumps on the trail; I just can't seem to slow down and I get me some air; but when I land, there is a loud clunking sound from the little Girvin and they get all outta-line. Now, I probably lack the skill for soft-landings so it can be my fault; but if you like catching a bit of air or I don't recommend them. However, for pure x-country...awesome fork. Course if you set them to be very responsive to the wee bumps, they are noisy as heck; I liked them really stiff so the sound wasn't a problem to me. I also didn't like how my step height increased due to the way the fork is set up; I couldn't do much about it. Anyways, as an all around fun fork I'd rate them a three, but as a X-country fork I'd give them a four (minus one for weight).

Manitou SX-Ds