Girvin Pipeline Chubby Front Shock

Girvin Pipeline Chubby

olaf van tol   [Aug 28, 2013]
Strength:

lasts 17 years

short travel

I need someone who can tell me how to service this fork that seems to have only 2 inches of suspension left.

Michael Jedrak   Racer [Oct 21, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap, simple, nice looking, long travel

Elastomers instead of springs, stiction in the initial part of the stroke.

Good for freeriders, not so good for real downhill. At a reasonable price you get quite a lot of travel. Tips for those of you who already own a Chubby fork (or RST Hi-5):
- I have managed to achieve 6 inches of travel
- I have made an open bath damping system (it costs 1 buck to buy a special seal)
- I have replaced elastomers with custom made springs (20 bucks)
If you want such changes just mail me for details mj-foto@go2.pl

Similar Products Used: Quadra 21R, Marzocchi Bomber, Girvin Vector.
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2004]
Strength:

They haven't broken in 4 plus years of use.

Flex, flex, serious cold weather performance flaws, smacking knee on top of DC tubes hurts like a mother.

Now that I've gained some weight (195), I've noticed alot more flex. I'm talking enough flex jumping off a curb to make my brakes bark. And after reading the other reviews, I now realize that the two worst wrecks of my career on this bike were due to cold weather (not pilot error). These things turn into pogo sticks when its cold. I just ordered a new marathon S. Even if its crap, its gonna be a serious upgrade. Man, why didn't I break down and spend some cash when I was in Utah? Not that anyone still would buy them, (although I did see a new in box one on Ebay the other day) but just don't. You'd be just as well served by stealing a huffy and using its fork.

Similar Products Used: None yet
Bob Weadababyitsaboy   Downhiller [Jul 29, 2001]
Strength:

Some

Few

Wow

Similar Products Used: Non
Adam Cook   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2001]
Strength:

Its got a lot of travel and it super plush.

The turning radius is limited, but I dont really notice it unless I'm going like 2mph.

If you are looking for a dual crown fork and want 5 inches of travel it perfect. I love the looks and the travel.
I reccomend upgrading to MountainSpeed Speedsprings if you are over 170 pounds. Overall its a great value and it works great too.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Magnum
GMoney   weekend warrior [May 13, 1998]

The Pipeline Chubby came stock on a bike I purchased. I am a pretty hefty steed (185) and I have ridden RST, Judy, Indy, and Answer, and they all have bottomed out, some real HARD. The Chubby just dosent. Yeah you can get all sorts of springs and gizmos for the rest, but the Chubby performs right out of the box, no add-on's required. With this fork, I don't have to worry about hitting anything hard. It just soaks it up, licks its chops and begs for more. The dampening is smooth, and plenty of travel. The best thing it gives is confidence, no worrys about if it can handle that rock, or flying nose down off that unseen dropoff. Seems the harder you push it, the better it performs. GREAT FORK! If you do get one, make sure your frame can take it, from what I hear, triples put more stress on the head joints. Going to put one on my Park Pizza Cutter.Wahoo!

Paul   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2001]
Strength:

The fork performs well on big hits and is sought of smooth when running well. A lot of travel.

Limited adjustment.. The complete lack of rebound adjustment is annoying. The boots deteriate. No way near as smooth as a Marzocchi, but the Girvin's a cheap fork. So expectations are low.
Oh yeah, I've smacked my knee numerous times on the crowns..it hurts!!

The Only major problem I've had with these forks is when I managed to snap one of the drop outs.. Ok, so admittedly I did screw up the narly jump, and my bad riding was to blame...but still I didn't expect it to give way, esp. considering how strong they look. The cool guys at the LBS managed to fix it for me under warranty..sweeet.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Bomber, Quadra 5 (delightful!), Manitou, Rock Shox Judy SL, Amp Linkage...
Mike Headford   Downhiller [May 07, 2000]
Strength:

looks
5 inches of travel
price factor

elastomer...freezes up in cold
weak construction
tunability....what??????

A god fork for the money. It's cheap and performs pretty well for a fork in this category. IS NOT SUITIBLE FOR DH RACING!!!!!!!!On my fitst race on it I broke the dropout. It also freezes up real bad in the cold weather. It is pretty good fork all around but if you want something that lasts save up for a decent fork, you will thank yourself. Team Ghetto rules!!!!!!!11

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox judy xl
Rst somewhatrather
fred   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2000]
Strength:

stiff

not enough damping
bottoms easily

dont push this thing too hard IT WILL BOTTOM. tried the heaviest speed springs it helped some but.
get a marzocchi 2000 CR great fork. never bottoms super plush. i weigh 230 lbs.