Eko Sport Inc. Total Air (Englund) Front Shock

Eko Sport Inc. Total Air (Englund) Front Shock

Eko Total Air (Englund)

[Jul 12, 2003]
Will

Strength:

excellent upgrade for low grade shox

air leak over time

I got this cartidage back in 98 right after I purchase my bike (it wasn't even patented yet). The cartridage is a nice upgrade for low-end shox. The air-shox feel is great. The only bad thing is you have to pump it up all the time due to the air leak, but if you are not a big xc rider, or only ride on weekend, I will say this is a great bargain compare with high-end air shox.

Indy C

[Jan 05, 2002]
Steve

Strength:

Inexpensively converts a 'wishy-washy' shock to something very useable. Once you understand what the product is capable of, the TotalAir cartridges maximize your investment in a shock that might be dated by changes in recent shock technology. Or if like me, you bought a lower line shock thinking it would work for you only to find it's not acceptable and now can't afford that $600 to buy the one that you really wanted, this is an affordable upgrade path.

*only that the average rider might not fully understand the time and effort it takes to get them properly setup. The instructions stress the importance of replacing if necessary and setting the internal bleed valves but not everybody reads the fine print.... ;-) And this upgrade might be better targetted specifically at cross country, path/trails or average down-hill riders. The people that are experiencing difficulties or failures are probably not taking this into consideration. I am not sure that if you are an highly aggressive rider doing big drops, urban assault or hardcore downhill you are going to be happy with anything short of a heavy-coil setup designed for that kind of punishment as you are going to be replacing blown cartridges or seals from any manufacturer's airshock or upgrade. You get what you play for. (pun intended)

*First, my review is on the newest version of the cartridges. If you are just now doing research on this as a possible upgrade please take into consideration the older cartridges have a very different internal design.
*Second, I have systematically upgraded a very rideable hardtail to a amazing mountain machine by reading, corresponding with riders who have posted to this site and evaluating my needs from many reviews this web site.
My Airborne came with full XT & a Judy Race(Hydra/coil). Quickly I realized that while the JR was a better shock than I had used previously, I wanted the kind of responsiveness that only an air shock could provide. I could not afford to replace the shock and needed another option. I opted to try the TotalAir's on my old bike, my wife's new bike..;-) It had a Rock Shox Indy SL, 97 vintage, 63mm, elastomer/spring setup. I ordered a kit with a pump, and a jar of Slick Honey lube. I installed the kit, pumped it up to the specified psi and took it for a ride. I was blown away by the performance difference!!! Amazing! Within the week I ordered a Rock Shox long-travel kit to extend the useable shock ability on the Indy to 75mm,(approx. 3in). This was even better! I couldn't believe that I had ridden this bike for 4 years with such a 'dead' shock. Next payday I ordered the kit for my Judy with the oil kit add-on, installed it, test rode it in the neighborhood and took it to the hills. I experienced the same feeling of amazement in how much this improved the way the bike/shock handled, absorbed trail abuse and kept the tire on the ground,(which is one of the main reasons to have a suspension component in the first place.) Now comes the stupidity on my part. I weigh approx. 160lbs. The wife weighs 125lbs. I never adjusted and/or changed the internal bleed valve for her weight. Months later as I was raving to a friend about our satisfaction of this $200 upgrade,(between the 2 bikes), when she said her's wasn't that much smoother. 'What! You have got to be kidding me?' I said,'Show me'. We went out and she rode up and down the curb and over the lawn a few times as I was watching when it hit me. I bled the air out, pulled the cylinders, took out the #2 adjusters and put in the number 1#'s that came with the kit. I installed the adjusters @ 7 turns back,(3 in from the click), aired the shock up to 95psi,(30psi less than she had been using), and had her ride it. Now she was happy. Oops. So I got to thinking what I was doing with mine and opened it up and reset the the adjusters and dropped the psi and went for quick city run. The next ride in the hills, I took the pump and made mulitple adjustments during the ride to feel the differences. My point: You have to tailor the settings and pressures to the kind of riding you are going to be doing. This is not a set it and forget it functionality. Cross Country, trials, bike paths, downhill, freeride, whatever. Bottom line is this. If you want the performance characteristics of an airshock for maintaining traction, soaking up bumps, etc., this is an excellent and a very intelligent upgrade. Prior to throwing my bike in the truck for a ride in the mountains or riding off from the driveway, I always check tire pressures, brakes, etc., and set the shock pressures for the day's ride. Hope this helps.

[Feb 21, 2001]
Tony

Strength:

Plush suspension. Light weight. Affordable. Good Customer Support.

Leaky air chamber

I had the Englund total air cartridge for about 3 months when I hit a "bump" in the mountains and the dang things shot out of my uppers, and left an oil mark on my cheek. I was outraged at the product. I sent them back to the company with some "heated" e-mails. It ends up the local dealer had given me the cartridge for the Judy instead of the SID. The threads were not the same, but they did insert in with little force (I assumed an interference fit). To make a long story short, they sent out a new set of cartriges for cost, and I "returned" the old set to the dealer. I have not had any serious problems since. I have to "pump" the shock up every two weeks, but it has performed just fine. The company acted very graciously. I still don't like the idea of plastic threads, but they have held up Ok.

Rock Shox, White Bros-Hard Body

[Oct 09, 2000]
Sam

Strength:

none.

They will break on you when you need them the most. Really lousy product.

I took a trip to Moab. I had a choice of either taking an SID or a Judy with the Englund Air cartridges. I was afraid of blowing out the front shock, so I decided to go with the Englund Air, and take some rebuild kits I bought from the manufacturer. That way, if it blew, at least I could fix it. On the second day of the trip, the o-ring on the schrader valve blew out. The rebuild kits didn't have a replacement o-ring for the valve. All because the company is too cheap to include a 2 cent o-ring in their rebuild kits.

This product is just good enough for you place confidence in it and begin to rely on it, and then when you need it the most, it will let you down, which makes it the worst kind of product to buy. I will never buy from them again!

Rox Shox SID, Marzochi Superfly 2, and a bunch of Coil sprung forks.

[Jul 24, 2000]
John Franklin

Strength:

Light, excellent feel when holding air, LONG travel

Doesn't hold air

I used the 1st gen. inserts for about 3 years and thought they were OK (a little bouncy and noisy), but they eventually gave up the ghost. I "upgraded" to the long travel latest gen. design and have had nothing but trouble so far, mostly from lack of QC by the company.

Problems:
1) Top schrader valve missing internal threading- unable to fill with Risse inflater (btw- you HAVE to use a no bleed inflater with these- not a flaw, just the way it is).
-Factory sent new one.

2) Leakage around new valve sent by factory.
-Gas station tightened valve core- OK.

3) Leakage around top threads.
-Teflon tape and a little grease.

4) Leakage around shaft on one side.
-Disassembled, found a small hair on O-ring. Put extra honey on o-rings. We'll see if it works this weekend. It at least maintains pressure over a period of 6 hrs now and passes the underwater bubble test.

I have ridden the new shocks a total of 3 times. I am 6'5" and I weigh 185#. I am mostly a roadie who doesn't have the balls for big air so I am not very hard on equipment.

If the latest fix works, you'll hear about it.

Stock Judy SL, 2nd Generation Rock Shox, rigid

[Feb 25, 2000]
Daniel Boawn

Strength:

Infinite adjustability witha a smoth cmpression

It's a bit hard roto air in the cartridge when you fill it. Pressure tends to leak out fast when you remove the pump

A really great product

[Jan 26, 2000]
erwin soriano

Strength:

Very light... makes your fork and your bike light...Great on all kind of trail... pump more air if the trail needs it. Lessen the air if the trail needs it.

none for the new one... the old one losses air always...

Use this for all around riding... Will surely make your fork and bike lighter... THROW THE STOCK INTERNAL ON YOUR FORK GET THE NEW ENGLUND TOTAL AIR CARTRIDGES

[Aug 31, 2001]
G MAN

Strength:

Light, better than Judy elastomers, adjustable, great for XC riding.

Not good for downhill - wouldn't trust the seals.

First generation felt GREAT - very plush and kept me in control over stuff my buds couldn't hang with me on. I blew the seals after three months. Their customer support is great - sent out a second generation right away at no charge. These had better seals but lost that responsive feel of the first ones. So I complained and they sent the third generation with negative spring. These are adequate but still not nearly as nice as the first gen. was. Maybe they'll get it right one of these days? In the meantime, I'll keep sending mine back for upgrades!

Judy SL, Mag 21, Marzocchi Z2, Quadra 21

[Apr 30, 2002]
Tony

Strength:

Light,

Leaks air all the time, weak, blows out. Junk junk junk

Don't waste your time with these "inserts" if you are over 200lbs. They may work great for light riders but I've just blown out a set, and they were always leaking air.

[Jul 14, 2000]
Dan

Strength:

Light, better feel than stock Judy internals, easy to install and adjust. Also, waranteed several times quickly with no problems

I have blown out two sets of these cartridges in two years, and I only weigh 140 and ride a few times a month. The seals on these things are badly designed, and I suggest these only for light riders who enjoy taking their forks apart to send back for repairs

Don't buy these unless you want to replace them