Control Tech Lawill Leader Shock Front Shock

Lawill Leader Shock

Control Tech Lawill Leader LL-3

Josh Greene   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

Dependable,Dependable,Dependable,Dependable

Not enough travel

This is my second Lawwill Leader fork. The first one lasted nine years. I put near 10,000 mile on the bike and fork, the air valve finally failed. I found a Lawwill 3 online from a guy who just have all the pivot points replaced. What a steal at $75 bucks. To everyone out there who has one Risse(www.risseracing.com) will service the shock. Setup of this fork/shock is very tricky. You need to play around with air and oil but when you get it right its like butter. I am 6 foot and 200lbs. 55psi and 5 weight oil

Similar Products Used: Amp
Sean Evans   Weekend Warrior [Sep 23, 2001]
Strength:

A fork that doesn't lockout under (rim) braking! Why oh why is this fork not made any more? Safe, strong and predictable, no flex or wobble.

Slighly heavy, shock has too much stiction, needs coil spring/oil damped I think.

A weird looking fork that complements the LTS rear suspension (although my bike has a horrific number of pivot points!). After playing around with oil and air I've got it set up as best I can get it. I'd like to try a coil spring shock but it uses a custom mount.

I ride cross country with wide bars and shorty stem and prefer rocky technical terrain.

Similar Products Used: Rock shox, Manitou, RST
andres cook   downhiller [Mar 12, 1998]

strongest,most reliable fork i have ever had .no seal problems and they are nearly 2 years old . starting to get dated for downhill use but probably the best cheap all round fork about. my old judy s were big problems and broke at crown.most useage in mud and free ride and crosscountry .just wish hope discs would fit.

Mr. Pud   cross-country rider [May 10, 1996]

Have been riding on my Lawwell fork for over 2 years now. If you can dial it in for your weight and riding style it is one SWEET fork. Heres some tips: 1) Change to a 5 wt. fork oil for quicker action- my stock fork came with 7 wt. which seemed sluggish - especially on high frequency bumps. If you have the old needle valve style shock you can remove/add oil by inserting a needle (with the end cut off to provide a single orifice) connected to plastic tubing thats attached to a reservoir that's filled with the appropriate volume of oil (I use a plastic specimen jar- it has metric volume increments on the side!!). Work the shock stanchion to accept the oil and bleed off air. 2) As mentioned in the other review, make sure the fork will fit your frame without interfering with the downtube-I have a Cannondale and the fork would strike the cable guides and not allow the fork to rotate. I had to have my frame modified to top tube cable routing. 3) The new forks have schrader valves for adjusting air pressure. I wish I had this on my forks as trying to get an accurate air pressure with the needle valve is a major pain!

Vince Bishop   cross-country rider [Mar 28, 1996]

I've had the Leader for over a year now and I really like it. It has *no* side-to-side flex and tracks great. It is really hard to tell when it is working, because you can't feel it when it moving starts moving, but it works. It's a little slow to actuate, but I'm 210 pounds and it takes the big bumps just fine. It doesn't do the little bumps as well as some shocks, so I compensate with a big front tire. The combo works good. It is a heavy shock (3.5 pounds) to start off with, but you do not need a fork brace or suspension hub to make it ride stiffer. When it was about 4 months old. the plating on the piston started to peel, so I sent it back. They said it was a problem with that one batch and they fixed it. My only complaint was the one month turn-around after being promised one week. One thing to watch out for. It will not fit on some bike racks that angle the fork to mount the bike. The rack gets in the way of the trailing part of the fork.

Jon   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2000]
Strength:

I've been a bike shop employee for the past six years, and about 3 years ago I got this from a guy that I worked with. It is probably the BEST steering suspension fork I've ever used. The linkage design and single shock allows the legs to be rigid, hence less flex than standard telescopic forks.

Not a whole lot of travel, also I'm very lightweight, and I didn't really weigh enough to get the most out of the air shock. Since air shocks have to have tight seals to keep in the air, it takes a bigger initial hit to set the travel in motion and overcome the stiction than with coil shocks. Also, a bit hefty.

This is a great fork for a rider looking for excellent steering and performace over comfort, and weights a bit more than 150lbs. Also, anyone who is into alternative suspension designs will love this fork. Any time I rode my bike in a public place, I was turning heads! If you are looking to buy one CHEAP, email me because I have it sitting around and I'm willing to let it go for VERY cheap because it's doing me no good sitting here, and I'm too lazy to actively sell it. It's not the best overall fork out there, but it's super trick, unique, and very ingenious. A good value if you can find it for below $200, but I think that's probably rare.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Q21R, Judy XC, Indy XC, Marzocchi Z2
dave   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 09, 1999]
Strength:

* great for heavy riders
* Sucks up punishment
* reliability

* none observed for the type of use I give the fork

Hey, this fork rocks for tandem use. I've had this fork for about four years now, and have had to do virtually nothing to keep it running smooth. I'm 6'4 and two hundred pounds, and I've had stokers that weigh almost that much, yet this fork handles the abuse. For a fork to work well on a tandem you have to get the pressure jacked up so high that it won't move at all under your own weight. This fork has handled pressure settings this high for years with no problems. After I ride, I can see that the fork has given me full travel. Offroad on a tandem there is very little finese...just ram into things hard enough to get the wheel up and over. I would give this fork a great review for a heavier rider, or anyone needing a tandem fork.

Similar Products Used: Amp F3
Superfly
Sid
etc
Geoff   [May 17, 2001]

I've been using the Leader 3 for five years now and it has endured thousands of kilometres of trail and touring abuse without needing repairs. It is stiff, strong, fairly light and handles tricky singletrack better than any telescoping fork that I've used. It is the ultimate xc fork!

George Lewis   racer [Oct 30, 1998]

Amazing. After racing on Rock shox for the first year, I got tired not being able to steer through technical sections, or even at all. When I switched (to a Leader 2), I had to relearn how to ride because I was using so much body english to flex the Rock Shox through turns. These are the stiffest forks I have ever riden except rigid. Also, nothing takes big, high-speed hits like the Leader. They are great if you are a big rider (+180 lb.). I have been on a Leader 3 for the last two seasons and haven't had one problem. You do have to grease them regularly or they will develop creaks in the pivots though.As an engineer, I understand why motorcycles went to telescopic forks when they needed more than 4 inches of travel. But as an XC mtb racer, I don't need 4 inches of travel.Unfortunately, they are out of production now. The Control Tech guys I have talked to said that they just weren't prepared to spend the marketing money it would require to educate the marketplace. In about a year, you won't even be able to get parts for them.

Um Jim   cross-country rider [Oct 07, 1998]

I give CT credit for trying out a different way (technology wise), but
I just can't warm up to the feel of this fork. It is easy to adjust, so
you can tune it at will to your liking. The problem is that at its best (tuned for me) it still pales in comparision to an open bath/spring fork. I like the fact that others enjoy the ride because I think variety of technology only breads better stuff for the future, but as soon as I get the cash,
I'm gonna switch it out. (Just don't like the feel of bushings in a fork)