Cannondale HeadShok Fatty Ultra DL Front Shock

HeadShok Fatty Ultra DL

Cannondale HeadShok Fatty Ultra DL

Marcos   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2012]
Strength:

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT
Cashe
Lock out
fun to ride and adjust on the fly
a great design

None. I've had one of these since they came out with the Delta V full suspension years ago. It should be rebuild as it doesn't hold air very long but for something 20 year old and never having a repair made me a Cannondale believer.
I have rigid and full suspension with this shock and it is absolute genius.

As Packard Motor car used to say.

"Ask the man who owns one"

Similar Products Used: NOTHING EVEN COMES CLOSE
Erwin   [Jul 14, 2012]
Strength:

it works well but is incredible unreliable... it had to be repaired 3 times in 2 years.....!!!

Unreliable, bought my bike at Ten Tusscher in Enschede, The Netherlands, within 2 years, the headshok failed 3 times, cost me over 100 Euro per time to repair the headshok. It is unreliable and I now plan to replace it by another brand... I hope this will be possible.

Very bad. Will never buy a Cannondale with this suspension again.

seven71dp   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2012]
Strength:

Keeps the front wheel in place.

Not very reliable, You never know if you start your ride and the shock has blown, it happened a few times now. Really this shock has been around so long you'd think Cannondale would have ironed out all the bugs. I've had it replaced twice, squishy, clunky.... Nuff said...

Overall I would not buy another bike with this shock on it and I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Callas   Downhiller [Aug 29, 2010]
Strength:

Fantastic light bike great forks.

Magura brakes not the best fitted riser bars improved control.

Very light weight bike forks work great in both lock and travel mode. Cannondale is a great bike to ride no one keeps up with me on the downhill decents get a 2006 or older new models not as well made.Forks cost £90 to service that was with new negative spring feel much better as never been serviced since bike bought in 2003 just done in July 2010.

Similar Products Used: Specalized Hardrock
Wader   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2009]
Strength:

stiff, light, smooth

service-currently at Cannondale for a blown seal, 3 other guys out of the same shop have forks there with the same problem. It's out of warranty so who know what they will do. I bought the bike because i wanted the shock. Now shock is broken and I have no ride.

I am pissed that the shock is broken. I just want to hear from Cannondale what they are going to do. If I have to replace it, i will probably go back to RockShocks. That itself will be a pain due to the head tube differences. Otherwise, I plan to do what I have to, then sell the bike and go another route.

Similar Products Used: RockShocks- have used the old MAG-21, Quadra-21, Jett, Judy SL Air
adam   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2009]
Strength:

Lock out, but now it does not work

Can not replace. Do not go this way. Get a fork shock ... Do not purchase this shock system...

I went with the headshock because I thought cannondale was a reliable company.. I should have listened to my inner voice.. "What if it gets starts to leak, what if it has any problems, you will not simply be able to get a new set of forks and be done with it..."
Maybe I got a lemon, but do you want to take that chance..

Similar Products Used: other MB shock systems
Bashbosh   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2008]
Strength:

When set-up correctly it feels smooth and gives the XC rider confidence to make slight turns by transfering their weight through the hips!

Doesn't have the feel of a cheap fork.

My HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL was serviced recently. It was returned with a gentle 'knocking' when locked out (Down to the pins and races being in contact?). The problem was not rectified after being returned to the machanic twice! I was told this fork is known to have construction problems when serviced? I'm tempted to contact Cannondale and find out if there are any known problems with this fork? Has anyone out there had any similar problems? Basically, the service was by a Cannondale approved mechanic in the UK and when I ride it not locked out its perfect so I guess its a case of ignoring the lockout? the stiffness of the fork if set-up correctly reduces bob and the need to lockout uphill. Just want to know if the mechanic was yanking my chain? Could it be a bad job because why would Cannondale sell duff forks which develop this problem only when serviced? Thanks guys.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [May 11, 2008]
Strength:

Light, stiff, zero stiction when braking, laser-precise steering response, full lockout, rebound dampening.

Loses air over time(so do tires!), service parts are expensive, very expensive to replace(non-warranty).

This review is actually for the Ultra Fatty DLR2- which is basically the same fork......with an added rebound dampening dial.

The lightness and stiffness of this fork is truly confidence-inspiring. You are able to attack singletrack
with sheer speed and control. At under three pounds- this fork is still lighter than most carbon fiber front suspensions costing thousands more.

Lastly, you cannot go wrong with Cannondale's race-proven, winning technology. I prefer this over their slick Lefty- only because TWO points of failure is obviously better than ONE(know what I mean?). Unless you seriously abuse the fork like a DH/Freerider.....there is virtually nothing much you can do to this bulletproof setup, under normal XC use. With the correct pressure settings, you will experience little or no front end bob, riding uphill without the lockout engaged. It's THAT SMOOTH!!!

Cannondale really has a truly ingenious design here....

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Lefty, Rock Shox SID race.
Bart   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2007]
Strength:

Stiff/Strong
Smooth/No stiction
Looks
Perfect with discbrakes
Keeps your front wheel on the ground when needed like nothing else
Weight
Though

Can't do many experiments with damping
Not easy to take it appart (it is possible!!)
You can't order any parts from it wich are needed for yearly service. So the service depends on the dealer
For maintainence it's not a cheap fork but hey wich racing fork is?
you have to take out the wheel for re adjusting the fork tension whit the air valve
Can't put it in a "normal" bike only Cannondale uses a 1,5 inch head

This fork is the best I'v ever tried. It's a though tool and makes me feel like my bike is better than I am.

Only problem I'v had is that it's not easy to take it appart and do some maintainance things like re-greasing and checking the races/needles but it's possible!!
As a constructor/engineer I had my doubts about the rubber boot wich protects the fragile inside against mud/watter, but after a quick look I'm convinced that it's absolutely save! Same for those unbeliveble needles, how the hell is it possible that there is no play between it? Even after all the time it has'nt been re-greased ore cleaned!

Although many people claim it has the best lock-out on a fork I do not use it. Can you imagine what it does to the needle barings when they don't move but have to endure litle bangs and vibratings? (this is what makes the litle dents in the races of your fork)
And the damping is good enough for not pumping up and down going uphill on the road so I don't use the lockout. But I must say Im not a very heavy rider.

Oh and there is another thing about the adjustment of the fork. The recommanded presure in the instruction manual don't work for me!! I use a presure wich is a litle lower

Maybe there is somebody surfing around on this website who has problems with a litle play between te races/needles. (who has? please write a review about it!)But I don't see this problem very often.

While riding it it has'nt got the problem of most forks. As soon as you touch the front brake ordinary forks refuse to take any bumps and only give a litle reaction at realy big bumps. The Headshock forks (and the lefty too of course) just keep absorbing bumps. The don't give you the feeling of being locked becauce of the used barings. I can't imagine why there is no other fork constructor who uses barings!! (Or maybe there is...? reactions !!)

Altough it's not the most comfortable fork, it takes the bumps out and keeps your wheel on the ground for excelent grip like no other fork (except the lefty wich is a litle better). The 80 mm way is more than enough, how many times did you actualy "use" more? The first time I tried a Headshpock I did'nt realize it works so great till I tried al litle off road and wondered where all those bumps where gone!!

For complete compare with other forks I should trie a German-a front fork (yup, those ugly forks with a swing arm!) Those forks should be as light as a Headshock and even as responsive!