Cannondale Headshock Front Shock

Cannondale DD60 Headshock

Ron Ayers   [Mar 03, 2002]
Strength:

Ultra low maintenance!! The Review a few down must have been a fluke. Precise steering, very stout fork used it in at chirakoa mauntain range at 47 mph and performed like it should have given its travel restrictions, takes big hits relentless big hits and keeps comin back for more. lockout is definately a nice bonus no complaints there im ashamed to admit it kinda but ive used it on a few urban assault break aways. solid suspension system with a solid company behind it. Fenominal performance for its classification. solid balanced forgiving versitile system that is great for cross country and the ocassional (dare I even suggest it)freeride. I have used it for freeriding and survived just fine, not the big bomber or nothing likt that but it is tough enoug for it if you got the skills to huck a short travel bike down the mountain and not get broken!!

Short travel very very cross country oriented, so is the jekyll though its only a weakness if you like big sh-t. rubber sleeve tends to get pinch tears in it if you abuse the bottom out stopper in it, once again if you like big sh-t, special tools needed for the true do it yourselfer who actually enjoys working on his-her own bike (*I*) 120 bucks or so, shim has moved down on me once not effecting performance one bit but it still should have stayed in its place(once again moved down from excessively hard hits) fixed it myself no prob!! needs a little tlc if your gonna beet on it constantly but for the accasional ruffling of its feathers it will do just great. You can use this all year round at xc trails and do 2-3 trips to the mountains a year without any unscheduled maintenance.had it 3 years and its been a rough life for it and it is still goin strong with only the shim sliding down once and hehe 2 tourn hehe rubbers ahem xcuse mua it dont suck

Great setup for race or serious rider alike, focused on the xc side of it but will definately take a beating without bustin on yah, great reliable predictable precise stiff fork that does all it should and more for the x-country (sometimes freeride) urban ridin 200 pounder in most of us.
perfect in every way if I had the tools to service it:-) for that I take away a chille on the value side
whapisshhhhhh

Similar Products Used: rst, judy
Neil   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2006]
Strength:

Very smooth a stiff action, with very little flex. It acts like a rigid straight blade fork, but with 60mm of travel!

Rubber boot split after a year of riding off road, but still works fine. Started leaking oil after five years. Lock out has started getting loose after seven years!

It's a brilliant fork, I just wished it had 100~120mm of travel and it was easier to service.

Note: I've never had mine serviced and I want to see how far it goes before I kill it!! I've done over 4,000 miles to date and thers oil coming out and the boot is split in six places! Well beated up, but it's still going strong!

Similar Products Used: n/a
phil   Cross Country Rider [Apr 30, 2003]
Strength:

When it's working it's great,stiff, plush lovely ride

TOP-OUT,

Lack of mechanics who can do proper services,unavailability of info and tools to enable home servicing,
hates bad weather.
Don't fall off in stream as I did as the internals soon rust.Daaaamned expensive to have serviced.Bloody unreliable.short travel

Wish I'd got a fork that I could strip down myself......If I had to buy a replacement headshock it would cost me £570,gotta be kidding,
When it's knackered next time it's gonna get swapped for conventional fork.

Anybody able to service one of these who can post a video of how on the web????

Burke   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 03, 2000]
Strength:

Lock out feature

Did not respond well on fires roads with washerboard and rocks or in big drop situations. It also looks stupid!

Right now I would not buy a Cannondale. I think that you are spending way to much for what you get, especially when you consider all of the other products on the market. I did ride a Cannondale from about 4 years ago and loved it. It did not have the Headshock, maybe that had something to do with it.

Similar Products Used: Manitou,Marzocchi and Rock Shock forks
Mike Teeters   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 04, 2000]
Strength:

presice steering

blew out

I've OWNED the headshok Super FattyD (80mm) on my SuperV900 for a year now. The steering is unmatched and it is very smooth. The cartridge blew out in the first 3 months and my dealer replaced it under warranty. However, It does not seem to have the travel that it did before. This shock has an air inlet that is hard to adjust unless you have a $50 shock pump/bleeder combination. My complaint with the shock is that an authorized dealer has to do the work on it because of special reinstalling tools. This is not accepable to me because i am a skilled mechanic and prefer to do work to my bike myself. I will switch to Marzocchi soon because i will not pay for work to be done on my out-of-warrany headshok when it breaks or needs serviced or tuned. I just wish I could work on it myself.
Three stars for my LBS (bikesource columbus) for fixing it so fast the first time it broke!

Similar Products Used: rock shocks
John   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 05, 1999]
Strength:

Laterally Stiff, Low Maintenance, Mega-Adjustable

Not made any-more

I think this is where this review should be. I still think that the original air/oil, fully adjustable on-the-fly dampening headshock is an excellent suspension unit. Mine has been air-tight for SEVEN years now!!! (Including 3 seasons of racing). While I once thought that it was too stiff, the real problem was that I had the air pressure too high. I also like being able to adjust the dampening as I ride. It is a shame that Cannondale has cheaped out and gone to either elastomer springing, or non-adjustable air/oil. This fork requires some tuning, but has the capacity to get more and more dialed in. Once a year maintenance is simple except for re-installation, which is a chore. The lesson? If you are capable and willing to play with your pre-load and dampening, this is a wonderfull fork. Maybe it could use more travel, but the lack of slop, razor sharp handling, and adjustability make up for it.

Similar Products Used: Judy
Jared   cross-country rider [Oct 01, 1998]

i have a super v 900 with a fatty D. I have rode all kind of Judy's, Manitou,and bombers. the headshock is best out of all of them.It is stiction proof. The only bad thing is the lack of travel. P.s. how much does the moto FR and moto 120 cost?

Robert   weekend warrior [Mar 12, 1998]

Fatty SL (Fatty 70)I had a DD50 on my super-V for several years and finally broke-down and purchased the new '98 Fatty SL. This shock is outstanding! The five position adjustor on the top of the stem is great for on-the-fly changes pluse the air preload gives you even more selection.I have yet to bottom out this shock even with very aggressive riding. From wash board fire roads to rocky and rutter downhills the Fatty had never disappointed me.The weight of the fork is a big plus too.Cannondale hit the bulls eye with this one!

David   weekend warrior [Jul 27, 1997]

The DD60 shock just plain works great. I wouldn't be without the lockout feature. On uphills just lock and rock! No wasted energy on the pogo effect. On the downhills, turn it back on. Couldn't be easier.

Love2MTB   weekend warrior [Jul 16, 1997]

I might be just a weekend warrior but I do ride hard. But for being 135 pounds on a large frame with a DD60, I shouldn't be able to blow through all of the travel as fast as I do. And I love to jump my Super V a lot. But this thing bottoms out quickly and harshly. Ok, out with the bad. Now, it is life on the little ripply stuff. And no other telescoping fork can compare for stiffness. What a difference the first time I rode it. This thing will carve a turn sweetly cause of the stiffness. Also, you won't experience any brake rub in hard leans. The lock out is nice too. I use it all the time. Lock out the front and rear and this thing gets to the trailhead real quick (even at 32 pounds). The lack of big hit capability cost it a chili though.