Cannondale Fatty Ultra Front Shock

Cannondale Fatty Ultra Front Shock

Cannondale Fatty Ultra

[Jun 13, 2003]
Christoph Zimmer

Strength:

- light weight
- stiffness (important for disc brakes)
- look (same paint as the frame)
- lockout (it's quiete easy to reach)
- no problems / no maintainance

- no damping adjustment
- only for cannondale frames

I think that Ultra is the best fork for cc-race because it's super stiff and weights less than any flexy SID. You will never have a feeling of loosing control on track. the lockout is the best working one i ever had. no more monkey-style-action to reach a tiny switch on the fork... the big switch over the stem is the best solution if you can't afford a Lefty ELO.
So buy this fork and get rid of all setup and maintanance problems...

Rock Shox SID
Cannondale Super Fatty

[Jul 06, 2002]
Florian Sieder

Strength:

god damned stiff! it's the best fork for using disc brakes, it's also very easy to adjust the fork to your weight. the lock-out works very well, i use it at every chance, it really speeds the bike up!

you aren't able to adjust the damping without changing the oil!

every one who gets the chance to ride a cannondale for try- DON'T DO IT! - you won't give the bike back! i think the 2003 series of cannondales is going to be the best one...
and may god bless the caad 5!

nothing compares to a headshok!

[Sep 13, 2002]
Ming Lee

Strength:

Dependable

Does not soak up small bumps

Like it cause it's light, and dependable. Not much travel, find it rather stiff even with the right amount of pressure set in shock.

Question: Anyone out there who has purchased headset adaptor for regular Rock Shox etc set up? I'm thinking about getting a regular fork set up with special headset adaptors but not sure if the set up is dependable or not. I saw some pics of a guy with this set up on his mountain bike, looks really interesting. Please send me an email if you know anything about this type of set up, I'd be interested to hear what you thoughts are.

Thanks,

[Feb 07, 2008]
parsifal

Strength:

No independent fork leg movement. Integrated lockout in stem.

NOT RELIABLE!! LEAKS AIR. Repeated service had not solved the problem. Not very supple. Limited travel. Considering converstion to 1 1/8 conventional fork.

Don't do it. Too many problems. Odd design. A nightmare to service.

conventional fork

[Mar 17, 2001]
Pedro

Strength:

Stiff, light, simple, and good quality absortion

Small obstacles

Good fork for a good bike, except the brakes CODA Expert: simply unnacceptable for the bike and the price.

Manitou

[Mar 04, 2001]
Andrew

Strength:

Buttery smooth, looks great, rides better than anyother air fork i've owned or tested

hard to service, but i work at a LBS so i dont have to worry about it

This fork is vecry smooth thanks to C-dales 88 needle bearing, the design works great, takes skill and time to service, but hardly ever needs it, slides smoother than any other air fork i've ridden, and spring headshocks are smoother than any other spring fork out there, the lock-out helps alot on long hills or sprints, deserves 10 flamin chili for overall alone, some i'll get it 5 on each

SID, MARS, Flylight Bomber, SX-e, various other forks

[Oct 17, 2000]
Jean-Luc

Strength:

-light
-looks good (in my opinion)
-very stiff
-works well

-you can't get it without disc brake mounts
-maintenance is difficult

Although I've ridden this fork for a few rides only, I'm very pleased with it. The HeadShok system was actually the most important reason to buy a Cannondale.

If you are into tuning and if you want to service the fork by yourself, the HeadShok system isn't for you. So you'd better buy a "regular" fork, e.g. RockShox. Because the HeadShok unit consists of fork and headset, you need special tools - even to get the fork out of the frame.

I've chosen the Ultra fork because it uses an aluminum steerer tube and is therefore lighter. Functionality is awesome. The Fatty Ultra is very stiff and you are able to lock it out by turning the knob on top of the steerer tube. Damping characteristics are very race-like. This fork is not comfortable, but it takes the real hard bumbs.

If you get the fork with the bike, the price is okay (5 Chilis). But if you want to buy it separately it is way too expensive (1 Chili) - I will give it an average 3 Chilis for Value Rating.

[Oct 05, 2000]
gav

Strength:

Light, point and shot, best looking fork on the market

special tools needed for maintanance, flimsy yellow boot

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and Cannondale proove it with the head shock. The ultra is stiff and light, and more important it does what it is ment to, soak up the trail. I also like the ease of adjustment, this coupled with the on the fly lockout means I ride it alot plusher than recommended. I just flip the dial and no bobing on the climbs. Lastly, being a Cannondale I know if something does stuff up I will be looked after. It's just a pitty I can not retro fit these to my steal frames.

all sorts, from sid's to head stem shoxs (which I like)

[Oct 04, 2000]
t-rav gofast

Strength:

light weight! Very stiff.

no dampening; none,zero, zilch!!!

If I could just get this thing to be as plush as my Judy SL.
It has the Judy beat by far in the stiffness dept., it tracks wonderfully, and its one of the lightest shocks out there. Now if it just didn't beat the hell out-of me every time I ride. This shock has more deflection than my SL; this I think is due to the stiffness. If we could just get RS and CODA to merge on a fork the world would be a better place. Do these forks have aftermarket kits? An enguland Air kit or something like that; perhaps a spring, oil kit- anything?. I need something!!
I give this thing 5 flamin chilis for value- I proformed them. three for overall rating due to the fact that I feel like I have been using a jackhammer when I get done riding.

Judy SL, Judy XC.

[Jul 31, 2000]
Stephen

Strength:

Lightweight, lockout, stiffer than conventional fork. 70 mm of travel.

The boot tears easily on certian car racks. Annoying disc brake mount, its there and makes me mad because I know I will never get disc brakes.

The best fork out there in my opinion, super lightweight and stiff. Has just enough travel for racing, not too much or too little (70mm). Lockout comes in handy on super steep hills and smooth flat areas. However this is a more race specific fork, those looking for more travel should check out the Headshock Lefty.

Jett C, Headshock Lefty, SIDs