Cannondale Fatty SL Front Shock

Cannondale Fatty SL

Ren   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2001]
Strength:

Amazing tracking, very plush.... more than anything, light. The simple design of the heashok puts other clunky dual telescoping forks to shame. Excellent acjustability, excellent rebounding rate, plush and extremely quick.

The design rears of the front of the bike, limits amount of travel. Shrader valve is right in the crotch of the fork, which leaves it succeptable to mud and dirt. A sealing shrader cap (purchased at an auto parts store) keeps your valve dry and happy.

If you're looking to make a DH fork out of a headshok, don't waste your time. Cannondale is not a downhilling company, really. If you want the quickest XC fork on the market, something capable of making scalpel turns, on the fly adjustments, and having lethal acceleration without sucking up your pedal stroke, the SL's for you. If you're a heavy person, don't get a headshok. The headshok is designed for people who weigh sub 170 pounds, want the quickest fork on the market which is designed to make you faster, not give a big fatash butter ride. I won't lie. The Fatty SL isn't some big sofa, but it's light and it's fast and it's worth it's weight in gold. It sucks up bumps to make you go faster, period. Best fork I've ever owned, best for I probably ever will own. I love air shocks due to ease of adjustability and (lack of) weight. I actually prefer the air version over the newer elastomer version cannondale came out with.

Buy it if: You're lightweight, and do seriouds XC racing.
Don't buy it if: You're a heavier person and do downhilling of any sort or are looking for some buttery ride. If you want something which can take huge hits and soak up bumps like crazy, go with a zocchi. nuff said.

Similar Products Used: Anything on the market which can be used for serious cross country riding. I'm not big on downhill.
Jeff Grove   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2003]
Strength:

light weight, very responsive, I weigh 160#, got bike for trails and due to overall gerat ride, have been using bike for everything, just switch tires or wheels. have toured 7 states using this so far and can't believe I am no longer riding any of five other bikes!

just started to get loss of air in chamber after 10000+ miles of trials dirt slop rain. I guess I can't complain!

I would buy another Cannondale with the Fatty Head shock again but this one just won't stop going. (Although I would like to get better info on repair of head shock). I do all my own repair / maintenance.

I own 3 other Cannondale bikes, 2 racing frames 1 touring (Plus a tandem a bent). The touring bike has over 80000 miles & I never thought I would ride anything else on week long road trips, with 80 to 100 mile days.
Due to the performance and comfort I get from this bike with the Head Shock I expect to get even more miles than the old touring bike on this one.
The fork is the whole reason I started riding this bike almost exclusively. This bike is so smooth and quick I go on "B" road rides and am usually in the front of the pack. Trails are essentially the same experience.
Thumbs up Cannondale.

alex the biker   Racer [May 22, 2000]
Strength:

very smooth, very stiff and vey light

break very often, need a lot of work to keep working

when it works, it works grea, the 2000 models, the dl, is much better, it needs a lot less work. i higly recommend this product, but it breaks very often, i've been waiting 3 months for a new cartridge for my headshock, the guaranty is rather crumby...

Similar Products Used: manitou, rockshox, marzocchi
tony estrada   Racer [Apr 08, 1999]
Strength:

-smooth as silk
-true 70mm travel
-awesome plushness
-no flex/brake rub
-unobstrusive and clean design
-fully tunable
-excellent tracking
-very light weight (3lbs)
-excellent value compared to similar models that offer equal performance.
-great customer support

-need special tools to take it apart (for tuning purposes)
-would like to be able to adjust rebound damping on the fly as well
-would like for the shock to be reactive to bump speed.

I am very very please with this shock.
It is extremely plush.
There is enough travel for Xcountry riding. Compared to other shocks that offer equal performance this is about 1/2 the price.
I have been using this shock hard! for a year and have not had it blow out like I've read (you know how people tend to blow things out of proportion).
Definitely 5 stars.

Similar Products Used: -headshok DD60
-headshok DD20
-WhiteBro 90's
chris ader   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2000]
Strength:

THE FATTY SL. When it works it has the smoothest preload I've ever felt. very smooth afterload too.

This shock has taken me back to the shop 5 times in one season of riding and the latest has require it to be shiped to cannondale because it was beyond the repair capabilities of the bike shop.
This shock is so high maintainece and expensive when repaired its far from worth its attributes.

When a company makes a product that is so high maintance,expensive and so difficult to repair without cannondale's "special tools" you'd think the company would have great customer service-- CANNONDALE'S CUSTOMER SERVICE was not very helpful. If you have cash to blow, buy a head shock, if not Rock Shock (with elastomere) shocks are a fraction of the price and more reliable than the fatty airshock.

Similar Products Used: rock shock
Crash   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2000]
Strength:

Steering precision
Light weight
On-the-fly damping adjustment

Not user servicable (big weakness for me)
Poor location of air valve
small volume shock/hard to fine tune

Unlike Answer's forks, Cannondale does not tell you how to do routine maintenance. So every "40 hours or one calendar year" you have to take it to the dealer and shell out $90. I just had mine done for the first time in two years...it feels great now, but I'm not sure how long it will last.
Durability hasn't been a very big issue for me.

Tunability is. First I tried setting it up according to the chart in the manual. Way too soft! I'm 210 lbs. and ride like a dump truck. Usually 145-150 lbs. works for me. However, the chamber is so small that it's very easy to put too much pressure in. If they developed a Headshok with a large volume chamber, the ride would be plusher and easier to tune.

I love the weight and stiffness. My whole bike weighs 22.6 lbs. and overall I like it. But my next purchase...a steel hardtail, or full sussy, will have a `zocchi shock. I have no problem doing my own maintenance -- I can rebuild my whole bike -- but not being able to work on the fork myself is a sore point with me.

I guess I can't complain too much, considering the price -- $700 for the frameset!

Similar Products Used: RockShox Quadra
Rich S   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2000]
Strength:

Super plush, handles medium bumps great.

if the fork isn't in perfect condition, it can't respond to little bumps, and not enough travel to handle the bigger stuff. It is a money pit for repairs.

This was a sweet fork, for about the first month... then it started bleeding air. Not a big problem, I just pumped it up (I found it hard to get within 10 PSI of the desired presure due to it's small volume),... then the boot tore open on a ride. It needed a rebuild, which wasn't cheap. Even after the rebuild, it still had some sticky spots. I rode on some steep downhills one day in VT. and the shock blew, dumping all the oil. I wonder how much it'll cost this time to fix

mike   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2000]
Strength:

Well 1st of all Cannondale has made me believe. its a great shock and i really like it. im not a very heavy person so that does help. if your a person who is over 200lbs. you may want to try something else. but otherwise its a nice one to have if your a cannondale fan.

none as of now. its soild.

My next bike will be another Cannondale Raven as soon as I figure out how to get this Raven really broken in. Cannondale Raven and their head-shoks are very special indeed. Thank you Cannondale for such a nice ride. I won't ever ride a HT again. I have one in my shade as we speak. Good luck to you Cannondale riders. May you have great rides with your bikes. And always remember its all about personal reference when it comes to riding. It's what you can afford and what you can't afford? Anyhow good luck. Be safe on those trials. Well, im off to ride now. Peace boys and girls.

Similar Products Used: N/A
mad wrench   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2000]
Strength:

great idea, smooth when it works. Good bearings in the headset. thats about it. Great idea

Where do I start? I am a wrench at a LBS, and have the displeasure of working on these POS forks. Like I said it is a great idea, but the exicution is sh!t. The cartrige never keeps its oil inside, it eather blows its seals or its end caps come unscrewed and dump all the oil. the ai chamber is sealed with only one small o-ring at the top. It goes and "smack" no fork. Now for the best part! Those great bearings in the fork. Wouderful little things! The main flaw in the fork. There is nothing to keep water, sweat, mud, dust, or other grime out of the bearings. So all kinds of sh!t gets in and goes to work on them. Then its time to replace them, but don't look to ole C'dale for help nooo. You must take your >$1000 bike to a auth. C'Dale dealer. What? you don't have one in your area? Tough sh!t we can't help you!
So what am I saying? No customer service from C'Dale. and the bearings are not much fun to replace(even with C'Dales little tool $et)

A great idea but C'Dale forgot the rider/owner. If it is a pain for me to service with all the tools, just think what will happen if it needs some TLC at a race or 1/2way into a ride? If you are going to design something make it serviceable! Not some frigging puzzle that you need a grands worth of tools to work on!!!!
OK enough with the ranting I do not hate C'Dale bikes (i ride a R500 on the road) and the frames are ok. BUT dealing with the company is not fun. They have been very rude to me, everyone else at the store and our customers. Warranty?
Not likely. By the time you jump through all the hoops you will be too old to ride.
There were 6 C'Dale dealers in this area , now there is only one. Our store dropped them in Jan. Just got tired of their attitude and poor service.
I don't care what brand you ride but if they treat you like dirt why support the company? so one chilli for value, and I'll give it three for a great idea(it is good when it works).no I take one back because they were jerks the last time I had to call them.

Similar Products Used: I had a SV900 with a DD60 for a year, sold the bike becouse the fork kept dieing.
Brad   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2000]
Strength:

Its light and i must say that cannondales claim that it is very adjustable and it precice handiling but.....

over all this fork is well a pile, ive blow to of the cartriges out during races this is a terible fork. It was good for 2 weeks but then problem arose like the constant oil leakage, I dont know how you other cannondale riders feel but this has been a big disapintment (the fork i love the frame) please email me of your feeling or any specific setup tips, thanx.

This fork is pile sorry cannondale ut until you fix that constant oil leak i shal feel the way i do.