Cannondale Fatty SL 70 HeadShok Front Shock

Fatty SL 70 HeadShok

Cannondale Fatty SL 70 HeadShok

Miro Jurak   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2003]
Strength:

Turning, Plushness, Adjust on the Fly, Stability

Maintenance, Complex, Expensive to repair, Suseptible to Water Damage

When I first got this shok on the bike, I had water get in to it and it caused a lot of damage. 88 bearings replaced etc. The trick is keep water away and cut the Tie Wrap off every so often clean any water in teh boot and grease the Stem up to keep the water off. Once I did that it's been great for 3 years. Just have to pump air in about every couple of months.

Similar Products Used: None.
Carlos   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2004]
Strength:

Fits into the F700 head tube.

Outdated.

Cane Creek XC Short Headset adapts my Cannondale CAAD2 frame to any conventional 1 1/8 fork. Because of this, I now know what I've been missing all this years. The world has changed, and the Headshock has a built-in travel limitation of 70mm. The 70mm travel makes for a rough ride. Also, I had to put an O-Ring to quiet rattling inside of Head Shock -- how about that.

I'll give two Chili's because I was happy with my SL 70 in those days.

Similar Products Used: Fox Racing 2004 F100X
Marzocci 2003 Marathon SL 105mm
Tony Estrada   Racer [Apr 08, 1999]
Strength:

-smooth as silk
-true 70mm travel
-awesome plushness
-no flex/brake rub
-unobstrusive and clean design
-fully tunable
-excellent tracking
-very light weight (3lbs)
-excellent value compared to similar models that offer equal performance.
-great customer support

-need special tools to take it apart (for tuning purposes)

1. I cannot believe that there was 149 reviews for all the Headshok models under one category! Had to create this page for the Fatty SL70.2. I am very very please with this shock. Very very plush. Enough travel for Xcountry riding. Compared to other shocks that offer equal performance this is about 1/2 the price.

Similar Products Used: -headshok DD60
-headshok DD20
-WhiteBro 90's
Eric Brewer   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 08, 1999]
Strength:

Precision steering. Cannondale stuck with a design and finally built a fork that is trully the BOMB!

not a fix it yourself fork

When I have this thing pumped up and dialed right I don't notice what it is doing. It lets me concentrate on the trail as apposed to thinking about whether or not it's too active or not active enough. I just pump this for up with air every month or so. Every other week my friends have to rebuild their cartridges and clean seals on their twin telescopic fork blades!

Similar Products Used: Headshock DD60 (air/oil)
Headshock DD50(spring)
Headshock DD50 (elastomer)
Manitou 1 (from back in the day)
D Sims   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2001]
Strength:

durable, maintence free

can't use it except for on cannondale

Great shock. I have been on this thing for two years and have abused the hell out of it and still have not done one lick of Maintenance to it. All I have to do is put air in it every so often I have just bought a ti and I can't use this fork anymore. I bought a Rock Shox sid sl and can't believe all the Maintenance required. I sucks that I can't use this fork anymore. When something works I like to stick with it

Similar Products Used: Manitou,Rock shox
peter barosso   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2000]
Strength:

tracking
stiffness
plushness
tuneing options
only fits cannondale unless you had some one custom build one, which gives me an idea......

serviceability, dont be like apple computer now.....
cant sleep with it.
no qualms with this fork setup always soaks up everything i can seem to roll over and keeps me on the bike. i think Jesus would have liked this fork

buy cannondale just for this reason.
i am not a kill my-self going as fast as possible rider. i go fast enough to give me the butterflies and keep the adrenalin pumping. ole fatty number one attribute is that there is no stiction. no wobliness at speed in the turns, or wheel deflection. not that cheep or as easy to upgrade, but once you get one you wont need another untill you break it

Similar Products Used: rockshox
legs
Jeff   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2002]
Strength:

plush when working

A maintenance nightmare. Damn thing is always broke or acting wierd. Rebound slams & hops one week, has no compression next. Takes long time for shops I've tried to get it fixed, if they can fix it at all.

Don't even think about a Headshok equiped bike if you ride resonably difficult terrain and weigh over 190 lbs.

Similar Products Used: Judy, Bomber
Shane Gouldthread   [Feb 02, 2004]
Strength:

-light 3 pds
-plush
-0% FLex
-Very Predictable
-Compression
-Rebound
-handles everything smooth

there is none.. its not a R.S.

i dont realy know what the other reviews on here are about??? (stumped) i use this bike racing and training and everything in the middle. never had a probelm yet! i live in Pennsylvania and the summers are mostly dry. but theres always plenty of rain too! last race rained week before and day of race.. nothing but mud! the coarse was slick. changed IRC's to Pannaracer's Smokes(ORIGONAL SMOKES). ya i know bad rolling restiance, but i took first in my age group. 24 mins in front of second place. 11th in out of 191! so i did good for being 16yrs old. i ride 7 days a week and sometimes twice a day. when i go camping its always twice a day or to JIM THROPE all day. i live on my bike and love competion. i need a good bike to do all that. take it from me shes always did more than i ever needed..
so take it easy on days off and ride like theres no tomarrow!!
shane

Similar Products Used: Super Fatty Ultra and other headshocks...
Kyle McKendree   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2002]
Strength:

lock out, wheight and stiffness

highly coplicated in design, grinds with out regular service, zip ttied boot

it may be the bomb to some but to me its to coplicated meaning more to go wrong in the end and a higher price

Similar Products Used: many other forks
Kris Allain   [Aug 11, 2003]
Strength:

lots of travel, on the fly adjustments and lockout

Way too many for the price you pay for it!!! Ok I don't know exactly what the fork retails for but I understand like $550. At least that is what my LBS said. I bought a super v used but it was in great shape and supposedly the fork was just serviced. Well the other day I put my bike in the repair stand and left it over night. The next day the thing was completely froze up!! I used to do my own service on my Rock Shox forks but it is literally impossible for the normal rider. You have to go to an authorized cannondale dealer for this. I mean even if you were to have the exclusive cannondale tools needed for the job, there is no instructions or manuals anywhere on the internet. I walked in my C'Dale dealer(the only one in half of the state) and they quoted me at $75 for a cartridge overhaul. More than what I wanted to spend, but I had no choice cause I couldn't do it. Then I walked in the next day to bring the acutual bike and it was now $80 plus some parts and tax, totaling to $100 maybe $110. Then, I got a phone call today saying that my bearing and races are pitted and it was gonna be $140!! I rushed down to the shop and spoke to the owner who then quoted me at $175!! Geez. $175 just to replace the bearings and races with labor. This doesn't even include the cartridge overhaul I went in for. No, that would be $275!!!!!! That is half of a brand new Rock Shox Sid! Service is a nightmare and actual Cannondale service(employees) Suck! Apparently these forks are notorious for turning to SH!T if they ever come in contact with water. Well, I live in south Louisiana. You almost have to take a boat to get to my house. I just don't recommend getting these forks. If I had a choice from the beginning, I would've had the reducer cups put in and started running a conventional fork. One that you can actually get wet and service yourself.

It is nice when it works but that is less often than what it should be.