Amp F4 Front Shock

Christopher Davis   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2000]
Strength:

Amp first impressed me in 1994 with their B-3 frame and 2" fork. During the first few months AMP shocks work well. Eventually these shocks loss oil and begin to weeze. It is nice that AMP provides a minor exchange/upgrade but they have failed to resolved the maintenance issues. Nevertheless no other suspension fork tracks as well as AMP forks.

Over the years,dealing with Bryan and others at AMP Research, I found they generally dont give a !@#$ about the inherit problems with their shocks. I have not gotten more than a hundred miles on either a rear shock or a front shock for the past several years. I have a second bike for my AMP is constantly needing maintenance. Recently, I have been snapping shafts in this F-4 fork. I have heard that AMP has recently decided not to manufacture this fork any longer, this comes to no surprize to me.

Dont be an AMP sucker, the F-4 should be recalled. I am not the only rider to be snapping shafts on these forks, yet they claim this has never occured before, yah!!!!!

Similar Products Used: I just purchased a SID 100
Rottenron   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2001]
Strength:

Rigid laterally, light weight, tracks perfectly, and travel is just right, not too stiff-not too plush for XC! Mountain Bike Action magazine once called it the best fork they've ever ridden.

Wish I had an adapter for Stnd Intl brakes that fit this fork, to install some XT Discs.

This fork rides the way a fork should! Its very maintenance friendly but doesn't require more maintenance than telescoping type forks. In my opinion, it looks pretty good too. AMP has always made some good stuff, you just have to apply a little labor to keep it in shape (sans the frame shocks).

MX TIP to preserve your AMP bushings: Go to your local hardware store and buy some Plumber's Thread Tape and Thread Anti-seize. The anti-seize should be the thick, pasty, silver stuff applied with a brush.
Apply 3 or more wraps of thread tape around bolts where they go through bushings. This provides a little cushion between the bolt and the bushing; it also reduces wear and noise.
If you have noisy pivots, first talk with AMP, their customer service is still very good. Otherwise, disassemble the affending pivot and apply a very light coating of anti-seize to the flat mating surfaces. Don't forget to reinstall the plastic waffer. Wipe away excess.
A word of advice. Lubing your pivots will void your AMP warranty. My two AMP Research bikes are second-hand, older pieces that I maintain for myself and still in excellent condition.

Similar Products Used: F2 on an AMP B3 with D1s
michele   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2001]
Strength:

Very light,easy to maintain (if you have the parts), allows very good control of front wheel, even when the terrain is quite rough. After 5 years of intensive use it's holding up quite well.Mine has the aluminum legs, by the way.

Horst mixed metric and non-metric parts, making it difficult to obtain replacement bushings and pins, except if you purchase them from an AMP dealer. The aluminum hex screws are too soft and get damaged quite easily. Shock absorbers need to be refilled with oil every 6 months, if you want to have the fork performing well at all times.

I'm happy with the F4, and overall it probably does not require any more maintenance that other forks. I was about to decide to get a new fork, and this year's offerings seem to be better than in the past, but then I finally decided to keep the B4, at least for another year. After all, I use it mainly for XC (no races) and some fire road downhill, and it works well in these conditions. Occasionally I've had to face 1 meter drops, and even though I'm sure that the fork did bottom out, I didn't notice it doing so. I'm tempted to try a longer travel fork (10cm.)which should match the rear travel, but I'm afraid that I might end up being disappointed by the extra weight and excessive pogo-effect. The combination of frame and fork now allow me to face just about any type of trail condition without worry. I really have not noticed any excessive dive when braking or facing drops.
In conclusion I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a new one (can't count on AMP for help much longer), but in case you can get one cheap, I'd give it a try for XC use; you'll probably end up loving it. I'm happy with mine, and I'll be keeping it for quite a while, now that I've found out how to resolve the pin-and-bushings problem.

Similar Products Used: RockShox Judy XC, Cannondale Fatty S
Brent Kirwan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 21, 2000]
Strength:

Well folks, that's 3 full seasons on these forks. You can read my earlier review way, way down in this list. Here's the scoop:
Ride Style: Aggressive XC, technical
Me: Serious off-road rider for 12+ years. 200 lbs.
-The fork is still working fine.
-still taking fairly big hits (not DH big, though)
-no blown seals or busted parts
-tracks very accurately
-best fork I've ridden yet
-no delicate stanchions to scratch
-light

AMP seems to be disappearing as a company. Good ol' Horst (boss/brains)has left California to live in his native Austria. Oh well. There are no AMP dealers left in Canada. Check the website.. they are selling truck-bed parts... hmmm, grab for cash?
The fork could use more travel and better support. My fork has a non-standard disc mount... mebbe the new ones are standard.. check first.
Most bike shops have no idea how to service one.

Would I recommend buying one?
Well, no. Not any more. So: If you can convince yourself you can get service/parts for your fork (I bet AMP is outta business in 2-3 years)or you can service it yourself, and you are a mostly XC rider (forget it for monster drop-offs, and DH'ing), and need/want only 3 inches of usable travel, get one. But make sure you get a good deal. Me? I will be upgrading to a 4-5inch travel Marzocchi fork (Z1, Z2, MCR??) for 2001 season. I need more travel and a standard disc mount. The forks still are great, and I'm keeping them in case my fancy new Z1/Z2's suck.
If you are over 180 lbs, be sure to get 2 RED springs. 165-180 go for red/black. 155-165 go black/black. 130-155 you can go green/green (lightest) or mebbe green/black. Go one size bigger than what you weigh, as the fork gets softer when the bushings break in.
Need more info, email me toolbox@magma.ca

Similar Products Used: Judy DH, Marzocchi Dropoff, Mag 21's, Halson Inversion.
matt simkins   Racer [Aug 16, 2000]
Strength:

light

dangerously light.

This fork broke 3 times. The first two times the fork broke at the dropout it was covered under warranty. Each time Amp would supposedly fix the problem with different leg material or bonding glue. The third break resulted in a serious crash. This product is dangerous and any serious cyclist will be risking their life using it. I through the fork away simply because I could not trust riding on it nor could I sell it to someone else in good conscience.

alex   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2000]
Strength:

light, strong, does what it should

shocks dont last

I really love this fork, it's really fast & precise on tech twisty singletrack. When you roll over roots/logs it does not slow you down as telescopic forks do, doesnt feel twitchy even 3/4 compressed. The best comment I have heard: "I haven't seen that thing move". It does what it should, and it does it without being all that monkey buziness.

This is a best around 80+mm XC fork. It is not for freeriding/DH bombing, though it would take some abuse on rare occasions, 2-3' drops.

Now the bad staff. AMP shocks don't last, period. I blew mine after 3mo /2 of them winter, so not much riding/, and now I have to send my rear shock for rebuild.

They all suffer the same kind of failure: on medium intensity tech rides they overheat, oil expands and then it blows lower seals. I have spoken to Brian and he suggested to back up rear shock to give some room for expansion, but why me? can't you guys heat it to 180F and test before you decide how much oil needs to be there?

anyways I am not an aggressive rider, and I am only 140lbs, so durability is a question.

and putting this question aside I do like the fork, and I'd buy it even if I have to rebuild it every 3mo.

I am planning to have another post in a couple month to let you know how rebuild holds up.

Similar Products Used: Judy
Shred   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2000]

This fork rocks! I got a good deal trading in my F1 using AMP's crash upgrade program. It's stiff, light, and has a long, smooth travel. It is stiff enough not to absorb energy or bob when pedaling, but cushy enough to absorb the bumps. I liked the F1 too, but this fork is an order of magnitude better. If you're looking for a great XC fork that will take you down hub-melting descents with ease, this is the fork for you. It looks cool too, and I like to think people are staring at it when I ride instead of my love blisters for a change.

Guy Up North   Weekend Warrior [Dec 27, 1999]
Strength:

Stiff, tracks straight and true. Lack of adjustments.

Lack of adjustments, disc tab not international standard.

I loved the fork, unfortunately it was stolen with my Klein not too long ago. I like my fork to be stiff and not exhibit bobbing while I'm climbing. There was a slight brake dive but much less than Marazocchis that I've seen. It's not the lightest fork out there anymore, others have just been playing catch up all these years. It is definitely one of the best XC forks that I've tried. It's light and responsive, handles the big bumps, roots extremely well. It's the perfect fork for XC. I'm thinking of running Hope hydrolic discs for my next bike otherwise I would buy another on a heart beat. Another thing that I find very important is Brian at Amp is very helpful and have always responded to all my emails and have shipped whatever spare parts I needed promptly. I highly recomment this fork for anyone looking for an XC orientated fork that's simple and light. If you're looking for an ultra plush, super sensitive, 5 foot drop offs fork then this is not the fork for you. However, if you're a rider who loves XC with tight twisty single track with a mix of fast fireroads and slow techinal clims, then you should take a look at this fork and give it a try if you can.Buy what fits your riding style and local terrain and you'll never be dissapointed. I know I did.