Performance Topo Brake Booster

Performance Topo

zed   [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

-didn't break
-cheap

-doesn't really improve brake performance
-looks cheap

It seems to have worked for some of the other reviewers but I have not noticed any discernible difference in braking performance. It's cheap though.

Wayne   Weekend Warrior [Apr 15, 2004]
Strength:

Inexpensive, light

Frame flex was noticed with XT brakes and adding the brake bridge helped reduce it. There is still some flexing, but that only happens when you really clamp down on the levers - under normal riding/usage there is no flex.

Similar Products Used: None
Copnnor   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap, widely available.

Not very effective compared to Salsa booster.

When I upgraded to Vees I noted poor front braking performance and obvious movement of brake bosses on this year of Judy. Tried the Topo booster for about 1 month but did not notice much improvement in either stopping power or reduction in boss movement. Salsa booster has cured both problems. I would consider this product if you don't want to buy the overpriced Salsa boosters but realize it is not as good either.

Similar Products Used: Salsa
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2001]
Strength:

Works as advertised
Nice engine-turned finish
Very cheap

Poorly cut screw thread on supplied screw

The AMP is the first bike I've ever owned that exhibited some outward flex in the seatstay after the V-brake was applied (The B-5 was designed for discs after all). So I installed this booster on the back atop the V-brake mount. One of the supplied longer screws had poorly cut threads so I had to supply one of my own. Other than that, it went on fine and stopped the frame expansion/flex when the rear brake was applied. I'm satisfied.

Jeff Roberts   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap, stiff...

...but not *really* stiff. No set screw.

I have one on the back, and that brake is a little less squishy than the one up front. I don't know how stiff a Suntour shock is really supposed to be so I guess I should get one up front. I'm disappointed, though, the booster still flexes, seemingly almost as much as the front w/out one. Wish I hadn't paid full price. Might as well have gone with the Salsa.

Buy only on sale.

Similar Products Used: None
Trick   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2000]
Strength:

stupid cheap and they work

not super stiff

I got them(2-front and back) for pretty cheap-$10 each I think, they aren't the stiffest- but they work and they dont cost as much as the shimanos.

Chris H   Weekend Warrior [May 09, 2000]
Strength:

With Team Performance discount, they were only $9... pretty good price.

Not really all that stiff.
Didn't like the machining pattern it came with, but five minutes with a roloc pad and air grinder and it was nice, smooth, pretty aluminum. :)

When I installed the XT V's on my wife's bike, I noticed the back brake felt kinda spongy. Checking it, I noticed that the chainstays were spreading noticably when the brake was applied. Braking power was great anyhow, but the frame was really flexing. I noticed Performance had the bridges for $9 and figured I'd give them a try. Put them on and I can't say I noticed any large increase in stiffness... in fact I can still see the seatstays flexing. If I hold the bridge in my hand, off the bike, I can flex it a bit.

I guess it does help... and it's dirt cheap at $9 (the stronger braces run much more!) so I'll give it 4 flamin' turds for the price.

If you're looking for a little bit more stiffness, they're okay. If you're looking for rock-solid performance, look elsewhere.

tony king   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2000]
Strength:

improves braking performance

Is it as good as others even considering price?

I was looking at these booster reviews and noticed a trend. There seem to be a disporprortionately (man, Im a good speller) large number of cannondale owners complaining about frame flex. Bottom line is that I have two bikes that are exactly the same (Cdale f700) except one has massive frame flex in the rear while the other is super stiff. I think that there must be some discrepencies in cannondales heat treating process (cannondale heat treats their frames after they are welded) maybe one of my bikes was annealed too much. The Topo Booster helped fix th eproblem but it still isn't as good as it could be.

Jose Sabas   Weekend Warrior [Aug 28, 1999]
Strength:

cheap, effective

aesthetically boring

Stopped the seat stay flex and increased the rear brake power. It works and comes in a choice of colors.

Jim   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 1999]
Strength:

Cost, Looks, Performance

none so far

Stopped the flex in the Judy.s, especially when jammin the brakes on when you going downhill at 30 mph and have to make a turn at the bottom of the hill!