Odyssey Titanium Brake Booster Brake Booster

Titanium Brake Booster

Odyssey Titanium Brake Booster

Josh   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2002]
Strength:

Strong, light, looks good...does what it's supposed to do.

Obviously, it is not very useful if you don't really crank down the brake bolts.....so little girly-men need not put this on......

Obviously, not everybody needs a brake booster depending on your frame type and type of riding. But if you do, this one is inexpensive, looks good, and does what it's supposed to.

Similar Products Used: Why would I waste money on trying another product when this one works great?
Don Pagano   Racer [Jan 10, 2000]
Strength:

Inexpensive (12 bucks at Supergo!), nice finish, nice hardware, prettly light, lots of mud clearance, works!

None that I can find.

The bottom line is that this thing was a very inexpensive fix for poor brake performance on my full suspension bike. A huge improvement in braking power. The seat stays absolutely doe not move, even when squeezing the lever so hard I'm sure the cable will snap. As for the reviewer who rated it poorly because his frame still flexed, I don't think that is the intended function of the product. Ti should last long time, quality finish and Ti hardware, only 12 bucks from Supergo. Good mud clearance too. I'm getting another for my steel hardtail.

Similar Products Used: Crappy no-name years ago
Grand Pooh Bear   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2000]
Strength:

Light and works very well.

Like any u-plate creates a cumbersome environment for working in that area. Collects debris more than without.

It does what it is supposed to do. I have a carbon fiber frame and I literally could see the seat stays flex under braking loads. Now the flex is 90% gone and the weight added is negligible. Plus my brakes work better. I've been using the one I've had for four years or more and it still works great.
If your frame cannot handle braking loads and the stays flex, buy one of these.

Similar Products Used: Odyssey Al Brake Booster.
Bax   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2000]
Strength:

cheap, works as claims, looks great, light, signinficantly stiffens and improves brake feel

may not be on sale at Supergo for $15 like mine was

This works, it's cheap for $15 at Supergo, it looks good and it's cheaper than upgrading brakes. Buy it if you want a noticeable difference in brake feel but don't want to buy new brakes

Similar Products Used: N/A
Matt   Weekend Warrior [Mar 23, 2000]
Strength:

light, inexpensive, nostalgic purple anodized washer things

not strong enough to eliminate flex

decent, but not a good product. The Salsas I had on before reduced flex probably... 99%. I set my brakes with no toe-in and after 5 months the pad wear was perfectly even. That's pretty indicative of no flex. On a whim I blew $25 on a pair of Odysseys and, although they're a lot lighter, high-pressure braking caused something I'd never heard before: brake squeal! Mind you, I weigh 200 lbs, so it takes a considerable amount of force to stop my bike, but the only way for me to stop the squeal was to switch to KoolStop Thinline pads.
These boosters probably reduce flex about 60-70%. After using the best, the Odysseys just don't cut it for me.

Similar Products Used: Salsa Arc de Tri-Oomphe
Agent Z   Downhiller [Mar 11, 2000]
Strength:

Looks good
Works okay
Good price

Didn't make a huge difference on my GT STS. (I guess I can't complain... that just means the frame was made well)
More metal = more places to trap mud.
Lightening holes - even more mud trappers!

This can make any bike look cooler. If your frame flexes a lot, buy this. It will increase your braking power and will make em feel less squishy.

I bought it from 12 bucks and I think it was worth it since it made my bike look cooler.

Similar Products Used: None
profeign   Weekend Warrior [Jan 17, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap ($12 from supergo), titanium is neat

didn't really help all that much

I have an RST delta HL on my lts and I put a topo on the back and it really helped because the avid arch rivals can really put some stress on the triangle. Flex was lessened significantly. On the front I put the odyssey and wasn't really that impressed, flex wasn't such a big issue since I'm not nearly as hard on my front brake, but I can still move the bosses even when I'm not squeezing all that hard. Can't really complain for the price though, and even if I take it off, the Ti mounting bolts will probably come in handy for something, once I shorten them with my dremel.

Similar Products Used: topo aluminum
Tom   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 26, 1999]
Strength:

Super light, looks fly. Has enough clearence for brakes to open and close for unobstructed wheel removal. Ti-bolts included

Little flashy, big. Long brake bolts included - too long for me since I like to mount them with a low profile.

Great booster. Lightweight, super trick, and even comes with Ti mounting bolts. I seriously reccommend it to any of us out there who ride older frames/forks that might not be stiff enough for v-brakes, really makes up for the difference. Very noticable brakeing difference.

Similar Products Used: many. Tektro/Topo/etc...
Genital Apparatus   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 2003]
Strength:

Looks cool, stiffens up frame for more solid feeling brakes.

As others have said, the brake booster becomes another place to collect mud, as well as making it that much more difficult to work on this specific area of the bike. In general, it just adds more complexity to the bike, which don't care for all that much.

I bought this product hoping to get better, more precise braking, and that's exactly what I got. I don't spend a whole lot of time riding in the mud, so I'm not bothered by this product's inherent tendency to collect mud. Five peppers all 'round!

Similar Products Used: None.
Bud Campbell   Weekend Warrior [Dec 06, 1999]
Strength:

Looks great!

Too flexable

Basically, I mounted the booster to the rear brakes in hopes of correcting the frame flex problem there. I have noticed no improvement at all…frame still flexing. The supplied mounting bolts are too long and I recommend they included a bushing to replace the gap left by the Shimano stock bolt which recess into the brake arm at the pivot. Also, I suspect the longer bolt, cantilevers the part too much which wont help controlling flex. I'll try the Shimano carbon next…If that doesn't work I'll have to go to discs…I have to justify them someway!