DKG Brake Booster Brake Booster

DKG Brake Booster

Greg   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent design, performance

Couldn't lock the rears up even with Kool Stop pads. With
the DKG, no problem! The cam adjusters are great and make
installation easy. This is a well designed product that
performs.

Similar Products Used: None
Danny   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2001]
Strength:

Does what it says it does...stiffens very nicely. Easy installation...just thread in the straight threaded rods and twist on the cap lugs. The eccentric installation wheels are ingenius. They won't slip like a slot might. Once installed you know you will keep getting the added benefit of the booster. Nice anodized finish.

hmmmmm.

Tremendous value for an upgrade. Best $20 bucks spent on my bike.

Before I put these on my rear brakes it took about two thirds of the lever travel to lock up the rear...the brakes felt a bit mushy. With the booster on, one third lever travel is all that I need to lock 'em up. The brakes feel much better.

If you find your brakes a little mushy, get this product.

Tienshan   Weekend Warrior [Dec 27, 2001]
Strength:

Stiff, it reduces the flex of my Dean Ti bike.

A little heavy and pricy. It weighs around 112 grams instead of 92 grams as manufacture has claimed. The bolt kit is very heavy. It's around 40 grams. There should be lighter version or replacement for the bolt kit.

When rear brake was applied before this brake booster was installed, I can see the seat stay flex quite a bit.

After brake booster is installed, the flex disappears.
A friend of mine help me install it and we kind of pre-enforce. That is we apply the brake and pull the booster outward to fit it onto the bolt.

Afterwards, the brake is very crisp and solid. It no longer gives the mushy feel and there is no more flex on seat stay.

Similar Products Used: none
Nate Estep   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2000]
Strength:

Light
Stiff
Nicely Machined
Ingenious Variable-Width Design

No Spacers / Standoffs Provided
Mounting "Bolt" Lacking

I recently found this booster, new and unused, in a box of parts at home. It was the second one I purchased (4 or 5 years I've had it); the first went to a friend, mounted on an old bike. I remember having trouble mounting it to a set of XT V's, and probably threw it in the box out of frustration and forgot about it.

It works very well, stiffening up an already stiff rear aluminum triangle on my Fisher Joshua. The rotating moununting holes are maxed at their narrowest setting on my frame, and the fit is tight. The rotating mounting holes are a marvel - I think I'd be disappointed by any "sliding" setup, as on the Shimano or Salsa.

The height of the booster blocks a cable stop on the URT that would prevent me from stringing up my front derailleur. This is a design limitation of the frame; any booster with adequate tire clearance would likely block this cable stop.

In my case, I am running Cane Creek Direct Curve 2 "V" brakes, which already blocked this cable stop. My workaround was to install a bolt-on cable stop and route the cable differently, bypassing the frame's cable stop.

The weakness is the mounting hardware. The "bolt" provided is a length of threaded rod. The threaded rod is turned by screwing a cap nut on one end. This is functional, but ugly. It detracts from the asthetics of the beautiful booster. I had to pay a visit to a fastener shop to get a proper set of hex bolts.

To top that off, no spacers are provided. In my case (with both the Cane Creek brakes I run now, and the Dia-Com cantis's I ran on the previous bike), I need about 5mm of standoff between the brake arms and the booster. My solution is to use a pair of spacers/adjusters from a set of post-style brake pads. These are functional, but fit the bolt loosely and are concave on one side, again making them less than ideal.

I wouldn't hesitate it recommend this booster, if it can still be found. The problem with the fasteners may not bother some folks, and is easily and inexpensively corrected. Since it doesn't affect the function of the booster, I won't deduct any points. I will deduct one point for the lack of spacers, however. I have experience with this booster on 3 different brands of brakes, and all 3 required some amount of standoff. Again, easily correctable, but prevents proper operaton.

--Nate Estep

Similar Products Used: None
Rockohaulic   [Aug 02, 2000]
Strength:

STIFF

Zero

The DKG booster is one fine, stiff work of art. It is superior to the Gorilla Al and Moonlighter Ti. The other two are basically punched/cut sheet metal, while the DKG is milled out of a much thicker base material then CNC'd. A lot more work went into the DKG - and it shows.

All three are stiff in the direction of flex from your brakes, but the DKG is superior in controlling flex because of the cam set-up. The other two mount with oval mounting holes - if the bolts slip, then they can't control flex. The DKG mounting system is superior.

The DKG is MUCH MUCH stiffer torsionally - i.e. fore and aft. It will keep your fork sliders from moving with respect to each other (fore and aft), leading to better steering response.

The DKG booster is the best, period. It made a huge improvement in braking power. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Moonlighter Ti and Gorilla
Drew   Weekend Warrior [Dec 06, 1999]
Strength:

Stiffer than any other brake booster out there

None.

My front brake didn't need a brake bosster ... minimal flex with the strong avid brakes ... but my Steel swingarm ... flexed! ... STEEL flexing?
Yeah with my arch rivals 50's ... nothing coulnd hold it down ... the salsa's i tried were good ... and the shimano carbon booster cracked ... i brake hard! ... so i went for dkg ... Oh my oh my ... the don't stock for some reason and made mine when i ordered it ... woo freaking hoo ... it rules... there is no flex what so ever ...when i brake... my rear feels like a rock. also another advantage is... they come with one hole... not that slide adjustment like salsa ... one hole with little adjustment thing ... cnc machined ... and ready to goto work.get one@!

Similar Products Used: Salsa brake booster, Shimano Carbon Booster
Jin   cross-country rider [Dec 01, 1996]

I had this on my Al hartail as bike jewlery for a long time. (the rear was plenty ridged enough and didn't flex under braking). I got my dad to buy a bike (a $400 ridged cromo) and this little wonder improved his rear braking 50% (I could exaggerate and say 100% but real numbers is probably close to 50%). The rear brake went from two finger grrrr lock to one finger lockup even with Alivio canti's w/ shimano hanger. The rotating barrel insures that the booster continues to work even if the bolts holding them on fall off! The best designed brake booster of them all. Might be a little heavier then the rest but by far the best design and the strongest.

Dave   [Jun 14, 1996]

Heavy by a few grams than most, but easily the strongest and the best. They are the only ones with the rotating adjuster barrel for the lock down braking stud. This is awsome, because they don't ever get loose or out of postion.

pat rossbach   Racer [Sep 27, 2000]
Strength:

Stiff as hell, looks cool, awesome adjustability,just plain simple

stopped the flex (was like 1/4") stop on a dime lock up with ease for trials and stuff, it is the best looking and working. period.