VooDoo Cycles D-Jab Bike 1998 or Older

Cycles D-Jab

Voodoo Cycles D-Jab

emiesch   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2009]
Strength:

Silky smooth, agile, and feels light under me at a great value.

should come with a drive side single speed specific drop as an added value.

i love this frame built SS, rigid, with the 29er front wheel, my friends do not. This is one fast bike and thanks to the sliding drops supper tight. Voodoo should build this option for everyone.

Similar Products Used: Last bike was a Bontrager Ti Lite. The Voodoo may not have the prestige, but feals more responsive while riding
johno55   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2008]
Strength:

It's titanium, sliding dropouts designed for single speed.

nothing

I'm preferring the shorter chainstay setup because it gives this bike an increadible light and agile feel climbing switchbacks and on fire roads. On the downs it's capable but you need to pay attention. Of course the steep seat and head angle have alot to do with its power transfer. The frame is super stiff, in fact I'm still in shock because my experience with previous Ti frame left an impression of a licorice feel to the ride. Not so this beast. I'd like to try a longer travel fork cause the D-hab is now designed for a 100 - 130 travel setup (ie TALAS). This would help on the rough downhill sections.

Similar Products Used: RM Blizzard, Kona Kula Deluxe, Cannondale F1000, Mongoose Ti
Tony Marinella   cross-country rider [Jul 25, 1997]

This bike is extremely fast and very responsive. I can go twice as fast as I could on my Wicked Fat Chance. But I am somewhat dissatisfied with my frame. First of all, the water bottle mounts on the down tube are off center. Secondly, the seat post tube is the wrong size and therefore requires a custom post or a new sleeve has to be put in place of the old one. After what I paid for this bike, ity seems as if Voodoo shold make these things right. So far, I have had no satisfacion. It seems that my only recourse is to find Joe Murray (he lives in Flag) and see if he can help in any way. I am sure he did not design the bike to have these flaws. Other than that I love my new bike.

mike pauli   cross-country rider [May 12, 1998]

i picked up my XT/Judy XC equipped D-Jab in the summer of '97 and i love it. i havent experienced any problems in previous posts in regards to frame alignment or anything else...so i guess im lucky. i think the geometry and the behavior of titanium is a winning combination. its a great climber...but the steep head tube makes it a bit shaky on rough, technical descents. the only down side ive seen so far is that with vbrakes, the seat stays FLEX. i picked up a brake booster and solved that right away though. some people dont like the way a ti frame flexes...but im only 5'8,150 lb...so im not too hard on it. the way you can pick out your fork and gruppo is rad too. however, i wish VooDoo would offer the Girvin/Noleen/whatever theyre called now fork option. the judy xc is way to flexy for my taste. props to VooDoo.

Alan Clark   cross-country rider [Oct 04, 1998]

I've been riding a D Jab for about a year now. I love the thing. I bought the bike as a frameset from the shop that i curretly work for. When the frame arrived the head tube was not faced correctly and subsequently the headset rubbed profusely. Due to hassles that ensued with the waranty dept. of Voodoo our shop is no longer selling Voodoos. This is a shame because the bike absolutely rocks. It climbs like an incredible uh climbing thing. I recently attended the dirt demo day at Interbike Vegas. I was able to ride almost any kind of bike in the world, including some other ti hard tails. I honestly would not trade the voodoo for any of the bikes out there. It's that good. Unfortunately this is an example of a product being far superior to the company that makes it, or distributes it, in Voodoos case. If you're considering buying a D Jab, go for it but cross your fingers. Five stars for the bike, one flying bird for the co.

Diane Philips   weekend warrior [Mar 12, 1998]

This bike is extremely fast and very responsive. It's sketchy on the stability -- you need to excercise a lot of control (very flickable). I had a problem with the water bottle mount and the biks is missing an o in VOODOO decal logo (VODOO). Even with the smallest size, I feel the frame is too long for my body (5'4).

paul   racer [Aug 27, 1997]

voodoo makes the best bikes PERIOD.

Gary Pearson   cross-country rider [Aug 11, 1997]

Any reviews on the Voodoo Boker (Aluminum)? I'm considering buying one for $1,500. What do you think?
Thanks,
Gary

John Pentecost   cross-country rider [Aug 03, 1997]

Here's an update on my quest for a new frame:
I finally got my new frame in late July, meaning that I waited about 5 months to receive it. During that time, I've learned that they did get other frames in that were properly aligned and in my size, but they sold them all before they fulfilled their warranty obligations. If you've read my review that's posted below, you'll see that the alignment on my original frame was messed up, and that's why I had to get a new one. The new one works great. No more chain rub, and the shop from which I bought the bike (know as Bikeman in all of the magazines) even swapped all the parts over for free (most warrantys do not cover labor, including Voodoo's). I've got about 100 miles in on the new frame and no complaints to report yet except the Designed by Joe Murray decal on the seat tube is UPSIDE DOWN! What the hell. I think that these guys have some pretty serious production and quality control problems.My advise to prospective D-jab buyers would be this: try to arrange a test ride with your dealer before you commit to buying the bike. The lesson I've learned is that if you have a warranty problem, they'll probably end up helping you out, but it will take considerable effort on your part. For example, I had to write letters, send Emails, and finally leave threatening phone messages before I got the service I felt that I was entitled to after paying about $3500 for a bike. The upside is that they let me ride the defective frame as much and as hard as I wanted to before I sent it back. I purposely beat the shit out of that thing and it suffered no ill effects, so I can vouch for its strength and durability. I mean, I went over the handlebars on numerous occasions and had that baby cart-wheeling down hills and into trees. There were a few minor scratches, but that's it.I guess the bottom line is this: The strength of the frame is top-notch, but the integrity of the company is suspect.

Troy Babcock   cross-country rider [Jul 31, 1997]

This bike rules - buy one.