Trek Y Series Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Trek Y33

[Jun 16, 2013]
charles
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Durable, light, Chain length fixed under suspension, looks cool, climbs well

They don't make it anymore.tricky to dial in.

15 years of uphill, down hill, rock gardens, jumping, technical and still going! Truth is I did upgrade recently (2013 Giant Reign) but there was no way I was letting my Y frame go. Converted it to a BMX style cruiser with fixed chain gearing. So freak in lite! What they say about balancing is true. Just be sure to play with the right stem/handle bar configs, you'll find a happy place and love this bike. TO Trek.... you shouldn't have listened to the critics...we die hard Y bike fans didn't. Bring back the Y for a new generation! Let the critics ride what they want.

[Jan 15, 2011]
HCS01

Strength:

Light weight (under 25 lbs), simple suspension (easy maintenance), comfortable, durable, Unique style, best iteration of the URT design

benefits greatly from suspension lockout (front and rear), High clamp derailleurs will not fit (interfere with the frame mount on the swing arm), Mounting a rear disc brake requires some creativity

Great bike. It is very fun to ride. Mine is currently in the upgrade process. I use it as an urban commuter and cover up to 20 miles in a day. This bike is light weight and comfortable. I hit a lot of rough roads crossing various parts of this city and consider this bike an excellent value.

It very necessary to play with the suspension a bit to find the sweet spot. It has to be dialed in to your weight. The rear is plush when dialed in, though, so a rear shock with a lockout option would be nice during a long hill climb. On that note, I have found that if I have a problem with pedal bob, I need to stop hammering on the pedals and shift into a higher ratio.

One more thing to note is that this bike is very sensitive to front/rear weight balance. You have to be conscious of how your riding position affects this balance until you know the bike, but it is very rewarding once you do.

With a little TLC, my Y has been an excellent companion... and its lighter than my 20" BMX racer

First Mountain Bike

[Jan 04, 2011]
mauistardog

Strength:

Light, strong, fast. Full sus. The Y-50 came with top of the line xtr parts, ibis bar. Light weight frame with life time warranty.

None on the frame..Front shock got old fast. Adding disk brakes is not stock, but can be done.

14 years later the bike is still going and getting an extreme make over. The carbon Y frame is still THE lightest full sus bike frame. I think only the Scott Spark RC or LTD is in the same range. For the amount of riding I do now, I can't justify 9k for a new bike. People will make fun of the URT design, but as others have said and pointed out, the new shocks today along with balance setup of the front and rear shock makes the criticism of the frame design moot.

[Nov 11, 2010]
lfinardi

Strength:

Light, breakthrough frame for its time, extremely comfortable to ride yet strong to take on long x-country rides.

Noisy (if rear suspension pivots are not extremely well greased, frame cracks when pedaling force is applied). Rear suspension design (the moving triangle) not yet ideal to avoid sagging when pedaling uphill (a lot of the momentum from pedaling is lost as suspension flexes and absorbs it!!!). I recently replaced original rear shock with a new "intelligent" SPD shock with auto lock-out - improved, but not yet there...

I love this bike. It is not perfect and there are many better models today, but it feels great and it has accepted all the upgrades gracefully. People still turn their heads when I pass them by on the street riding it. This bike has been with me since brand new for the past 14 years and it will probably stay will me until one of us can no longer handle the other! I think Y-33 will win...

[Oct 23, 2010]
Roy

Strength:

Y-33 is if anything lite. The xtr is the best and v-brakes for the time were great. Cane creek wheels were fast and true.Fox rear shock w/ lockout was before its time.

none to speak of...

I bought this bike new in 1999 to race NORBA xc and took 3rd place in overall points standing.(great year)I have replaced everthing on that bike but the seatpost.It now has xtr dualshifters,hays disk brakes,fox float rl, rockshox revelation,and sun rims w/ hays superlite hubs.
many of miles and plenty of downhilling have been put on bike.It is now being revamped to be given to my brother to continue rolling over the rockies. This bike has proven the teast of time. when i take it out to ride for fun people stop me to look at it and are amazed that it over 10 years old and so lite.
dont let the na sayer keep you away from an oldie but goodie.

Y-3,Raleighs,Yeti 575,Yeti dh9

[Mar 27, 2006]
Trekrider

Strength:

Light weight, simplicity of design, a known bike with parts still around, and of course, the look!

Haven't found any yet.

Well if there was ever a perfect mountain bike, the Y bike is it. Bio pacing is a non issue: 1)use a lockout shock, or 2)don't sit on the saddle when ascending, or 3)set up the shocks right.
Lightness puts most current duallies to shame. These bikes fly. As I don't have a death wish when I go riding, frame breakage, or anything breaking for that matter is also a non issue. Why do people complain about the frame noise? It's just there to remind you that you're riding the best bike design ever invented. And that look! I really need to frame one on the wall. Ultimately, it has got to be the most sensibly designed frame I can think of...so simple and yet works so well. Just a word of warning; the Y3 and Y1 are heavier bikes (chromoly URT) and are getting up to 14kg.

Previously a Malvern Star Outlaw FS...one wonders if a Trek Y3 had been borrowed by their designers.

[Dec 05, 2003]
Dave

Strength:

Carbon,Carbon, Carbon...very lite and fast.Very plush ride!!!

they don't make it any more.

This Bike Rocks!!!! It may not be a fast race bike By todays standards, But thats what the 9.8 is for. If your going for a all day ride on the trail this is the bike for you. this bike climbs great and decendes just as well. the extrem lite weight (23.2 LBS) makes it a dream to take on long rides. the plush shox take out all the bumps, small & large. I've done 5' drops with no proublem. The fox shox w/pro pedal and rock shox sid take almost all the pedal bob out!!! It only bobs when standing in the pedals and then its very little. all in all this is the best cross country bike I've ever ridden. I love this bike, too bad Trek dont still make them. i think they are the plushest biks ever made!!!!

trek 9.8 (my other bike) also rode fuel 100 very fast but not near as plush Kinda in the middle (9.8 & y-33)

[Aug 09, 2002]
Daniel Rispolie

Strength:

Light,nimble,quick handling,fast,cross country plush,reliable, just plain fun.

I do not know if this is considered a weakness but with the URT design you must set up the suspension according to your weight.If you set it up properly with the right amount of sag,preload, compression, rebound,etc. the ride quality is quite plush with little bobbing.I think the complaints about URT bobbing is due to improper suspension set up.A 4 bar linkage can feel really harsh if not set up properly.
So what I am saying is suspension set up based on your body weight is the key.Also ensuring that you have a balanced suspension(your front shock is the same as the rear)meaning if you set up your rear shock with too much rebound damping with your front with no rebound damping it causes your bicycle to react poorly.A balanced suspension is the key to a great ride.

The bicycle really is designed for xc and will ride very plush if one learns how to set up a balanced suspension.

gt hardtail
gt hardtail

[May 07, 2006]
Mark Huppertz

Strength:

Very light, strong, and compliant. Can't find a worthy replacement for under 4K.

Rear aluminun swingarm cracked under extreme abuse. Factory pivot wears out, replaced with oilite bronze which tightened it up very well.

I have bombed on this bike ruthlessly. The terrain here is some of the best anyware, and provides everything from terrifying unridable downhill to smooth gradual stuff. I weigh 185 and with he exception of a newly discovered stress crack in the rear swingarm that bike has taked everything I have thrown at it. I'm going to tig weld the frame and use the thing as long as I can. This bike has spoiled me to the point that I won't be happy with anything less than a $5,000 Kestrel carbon fiber FSB, and that ain't going to happen any time soon!

This is my first REAL bike, and I have ridden it hard for about 4 years, average 2 times a week (once a week in winter, two to three times a week summer).

[May 07, 2006]