Trek Y-Glide Bike 1998 or Older

Trek Y-Glide Bike 1998 or Older

Trek Y-Glide

[Oct 22, 2010]
cleo of sacramento

Strength:

very light but strong bike, nice handling.

less possibility for upgrade to disc brakes, but who needs disc brakes if you are just having fun on trails and nothing extreme.

very nice bike from a very nice person that shares their blessings.

mongoose xr200

[Dec 10, 2001]
Steve M
Downhiller

Strength:

Great parts and Suspension for a 2000 dollar bike now when you find out it costs 1200 thats even better! Very Strong! Quite Agile for having over 5 inches of travel. Yes it can still climb good too. It isn't a niche specific bike more like a do-all wonder bike. My mom even likes riding it!

Sometimes the cable rubs the seat post when suspension compresses fully. Thats a pathetic weakness haha i had to put something. This bike is flawless way to go Trek!

This bike builds confidence. You can ride it to the Top of the craziest trail and rip down the other side. I loved this bike from day one and still do. I don't want to get another bike. My Y-glide has never let me down and holds up without question on 7 foot drops. It will outclimb any comparable Freeride Bike and even some longer travel XC bikes. Trek you disapointed me when you stopped making this bike. The Vrx was an ok substitute for a year, but now not a single long travel full suspension in your line.

I'd recommend this bike to anyone looking for a real do all bike that doesn't have 3,500 bucks or more to blow on another brand that does the same thing.

If you don't like having fun , or having a bike that improves your riding drastically don't buy this bike.

I'd give this bike a 8 out of 5 for value and a 7 overall

Marin B-17 , Schwinn 4-Banger

[Nov 19, 2007]
Chris
Downhiller

Strength:

Plush to ride. Not horribly heavy, can be ridden on trails with some hills (If I raced it at 12 then you can ride it too) Very reliable, I have taken some good endos and ditched the bike during tricks and nothing has broken.

It bobs but that is to be expected, not really a fan of the style anymore, mine came before disc brakes, bottom brackets are easy to bust if you rely on bashguards

Its obviously not designed to be a XC bike so don't use it as one! If you want to do some downhilling then this is a good starter. It can be found somewhat cheap now. the front fork is nice and plush and overall the bike is very fun to ride and it seems bulletproof for the most part. I wouldn't trust it taking it off dropoffs higher than 7 feet though

[Jul 25, 1999]
C.O.

Strength:

on sale for $819.00
Great ride
Minimal pedal induced bob
Simple suspension design
Very, very fun bike

All the crap from people that hate Y-bikes

I love this bike!!! Sure there may be newer suspension designs out there but I don't know how much better they can get. This bike was made for fun. I don't race, and if I did I probably wouldn't use this to race, but for going out in the woods and having a good time it is the best thing that I have tried. The bike handles great, the suspension eats up the big bumps. I have been riding a rigid bike for the last 7 years and can't believe now that I waited so long to go full suspension. Any loss of power do to the minimal suspension bob is made up for ten fold in the fun you can have riding over almost any type of terrain. I will have to reveiw the bike again in a few months but for now I couldn't be happier.

VRX 300
FSR
Giant Warp
Cannondale V400

[Oct 30, 2000]
Mike Pilote
Downhiller

Strength:

Everything, evry part on the bike is great

weakness?????
not that i know of

sweet sweet sweet!!!!
i love this bike. i dont know how much rear travel it has but it sure has enough. i just took i t of a 10 foot drop off and barely felt a thing. didnt bottom out either.
i only paid 800 for it since it was pre owned. the bike was mint other than the rear brake. it needed to be rebuilt. and then the shop skrewed up the front. but once the breaks are fixed. it will be flawless. i love this bike. and i only have gotten to ride it hard one day. i cant wait for the next ride. this bike is just so plush too.
handles great, rides great, is great.
beats my crap ass mongoose.
i will post again after the next spring ride.

mongoose d60r, haro exo, santa cruz super8

[Oct 25, 2000]
Kevin Montgomery

Strength:

Bad Ass frame - cant beat it. The Front and Rear Suspension are really cushy. The Hayes stop on a dime (when properly tuned). Wheels work awesome, took me a year to knock one out of true, and I ride hard... Everything else works as it should

The Answer Manitou forks with the oil damper has had its problems in the past, so I replaced the valve (free from Answer), and the hayes disks warp when rode hard, so it takes alot of recalibration for them not to squeak....Oh well, the usual things.

Im in love with this bike...I was considering getting a long travel (6-9 inches), but Im not a big guy, so I thought the stock 4" front and rear would work, and it does!! Great bike for a downhill/freeride run, slalom its a touch tall, and CC its too heavy. But when ya get on a single track, you completely forget how heavy this bike is, its such a fun bike to ride, I wish they made it for more than one year. Its my third full suspension Trek now, and they just keep getting better...If you ever come across one of these, get it...you wont regret it!!

Nothing Compares

[Oct 05, 2001]
Bodman

Strength:

I actually purchased the Y-5 which came with Mavic-Asym, XT, ICON , Fox Vanilla R, and a fiew other brand components
I loved the look, simplicity, bunnyhoppability, plushness and the ride(coming previously from a rigid front and rear bike).

Manitou's Spider R fork is a beginner fork!!!
The rear triangle cracked by the bottom bracket
The entire frame was replaced and the new rear triangle is out of alignment. Seatpost is bent and the LX hubs have the tendancy to loosen after long rides. The bushings on the Fox vanilla shock need replacement yearly because they get out of round over time.

Awesome bike for the money. The single pivot design has served me well. I'm ready for more travel now.

[Jun 15, 2000]
Josh
Downhiller

Strength:

Just about everything about this bike is a strength - the solid frame, grippy tires, plush suspension, comfortable riding position, and all the other great aspects of the bike.

The only weakness I have encountered and has been easily fixed is that being a "freeride" bike and not a hardcore DH bike, the seatpost was too long. Solution: Hack saw. Five minutes later, the seatpost was ready for DH.

The bottom line is: For freeriding and softcore DH riding, NOTHING compares to the great control, quality, handling, ride, and comfort of the Y-Glide deluxe. Other bikes such as the $5k monsters with 8 inches of travel are in a different category, so they cannot be compared. But if your on the trail with friends on their VRX 400s, Cannondale Ravens, and/or Specialized FSR's, they better enjoy lookin at your rear tire!! 5 out of 5 Flamin' Chills for this bad boy.

Ive tried FSR, KHS, FOES, Trek, and Cannondale's equivalents of the Y-glide Deluxe. Nothing compares to the long travel, comfort, and control.

[Nov 21, 1999]
Matt
Downhiller

Strength:

Everything
The bike handles great, its even good for trials. long travel, and unilink rear swingarm, good price

great bike
5 flamers for this one

VRX 300 and 400

[Nov 11, 1999]
C.O.

Strength:

Handles great
bomb proof
Nice price
Ideal for heavier riders

I didn't like the original spring on the shock. I needed a heavier coil.

I still love this bike. And since I changed coils I love it even more than before. It is a very fun bike to ride. It handles great and is low maintainance. It was cheap too, $819, $869 with tax. I bought it in Pa, we don't have sales tax in De.

VRX 300