Trek Y-11 Bike 1998 or Older

Y-11

Trek Y-11

Vintruvious   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2012]
Strength:

The best dang looking frame ever.

No disc brake mounts on rear triangle. Though I hear you can have the mounts welded on. Suspension bob when not using circular pedaling. Steep head angle promotes OTB and not good for All mountain work.

The best bike frame ever made. Its just sexy looking. I rode this bike for 14 years before upgrading when I got into serious all mountain riding. The head angle just made the descents to sketchy and the suspension was just not suited for hard climbing and bombing. Even though I upgraded to a Marzzochi 150mm barber for.

By the way, I'm 280 and am still riding this bike and never had a frame issue, even with the long travel fork which slackened the head angle and increased stress on the head. No cracks.

Now setting up for a 69er XC bike for the trails around Vegas. Hope to get the bike down to about 22 pounds which puts it in competition with the lightest XC bikes made. Took off the front shift lever and small cog as the crank is now set up as a 1X9 with a bash guard. using the front derailleur as a chain guide. Rear cassette is a Shimano 11X34. Thought about going to a 12X36 but the increased stiffness due to the removal of the rear shock allows a lot more efficient power transfer.

Oh, yeah, even though the 17 year old Fox4 air shock stills holds 250+ psi and works great, removed it and replaced with an aluminum bar for a solid rear end. Allowed me to slacken head angle to 68-69 degrees. Much more stable. The 29" front wheel helped too ;-)

I have beaten the living poop out of this bike and wouldn't trade it for the anything. As a 69er XC bike it dominates. Not bad for a 17 YEAR OLD FRAME!

Similar Products Used: There are none! ;-)
Now using a 2009 Trek Remedy for all mountain work and a 2005 Trek Madone 5.5 for road work.
Trek for Life   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2011]
Strength:

Lightweight, Great Looks, Comfortable

Stock suspention not so great, has too much rebound on rear shock, and the front washes out on corners.

BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED !!! I bought this bike new in 1997, and have gone through many other bikes since then, but I would never get rid of this bike till I snap the frame... then I will search for another frame. This is no pro-racer bike by any strech of the imagination, but for XC or bombing down some hairy hills it is perfect. I weigh 215lbs and have beat this bike to death and it almost looks as good as the day i bought it, and definately performs like it did day one (better with the new suspention). I still get people staring and commenting on this bike, it is much more unique than most other bikes you will see around.

Similar Products Used: MANY other bikes!
elspazmo   Weekend Warrior [Oct 21, 2009]
Strength:

Lite, low maintenance, very good XC bike, surprisingly robust.

None that I have found..... Well im happy with my one

I have owned my Y11 for about eleven years now. At my heavyset I have weighed in at 110 kg, at this weight I have taken my Y11 out and given it many a hard time.
I have owned it for so long now that I don’t even care if I break the frame, but no matter what I do on it, the bike still comes back for more.
I’m very happy with my Y11, if I wasn’t would have replaced it years ago!
There are better bikes out there for down hill and bombing. The Y11 is Probably best suited for racing these daysfor bush bashing XC riders but its Probably to out of date for racing these days.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose, Cannondale V500
flip   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2009]
Strength:

Durable stiff light frame. Most all of the other parts have been replaced after years of use.

Rocshock upgraded to Fox, Front brake upgraded to Avid disc all the LX componets upgraded to XT, Tires upgraded to tubeless Hutchinson Python, Rims / hubs upgraded to Mavic.

Original owner of Trek Y11 since 1996. MTB over 2000 miles a year. Would not trade it for a brand new bike since I replaced every thing with exactly what I wanted. Tracks straight downhill on the most washbord downhill runs available at full speed. Still tight as the day I got it.

quickfreddie   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2008]
Strength:

reliability, looks (even after 10 years)

rear suspension performance when compared to newer designs

The truth is that during my last stage race (www.supertravessia.com) my 2007 TopFuel SL gave in to the hardships of the event. Have my friends and my Y11 to thank the 14place overall. Many of the other riders thought I was joking when I lined up with a 10 year old bike. Truth is that it completed half of the race with nothing but some extra air pumped into the shocks.

May well be an outdated design but still compares favourably in terms of weight to current bikes like Specialized Epic, Scott Spark and even some Trek TopFuel versions.

A keeper...

Similar Products Used: Trek Top Fuel SL
M. Morton   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2003]
Strength:

This is a very light weight bike. It is also a very strong climbing bike. Washes out in the corners slightly. Amazing agility on the downhills. Bike can take a beating.

The geometery leads to excessive adjustment of the derailleurs. Bottom bolt that holds frame and rear swing arm together can loosen leading to creaking and possible falling out of the frame. I learned to tighten it when noise occurs.

This bike is the best I have ever had. The rear is soggy when not set up with a lock-out rear shock. It is fun and will definately teach you to ride fast (FUN DOWNHILL!) and on the edge.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stump Jumper and GT I-Drive.
Tommy   [Mar 09, 2002]
Strength:

Looks - it's a piece of art
Weight - very light (weights a little more than my titanium hardtail)

It feels higher off the ground and doesn't corner very well (compare to my Litespeed Obed). This might be due to my shocks though.

This bike looks really cool. It's pretty light for a FS bike and probably lighter than some non-FS bikes. With the shocks that I have, the ride is very plush. Nothing like flying downhill on a FS bike.

I haven't noticed any bobbing while pedalling or any lost of power when climbing. I think it might be due to my rear shock. The only thing that I noticed with the longer travel (sits higher) of the Psylo Race is that I have less control. Maybe it takes a wile to get used to.

I've ridden this bike for only a couple of times and so far, I'll give it a 2 thumbs up.

I think that this bike is good for 1) showing off how cool your bike looks, 2) having fun running over stuff, 3) having fun flying off stuff, 4) gaining more speed and control going down hill, 5) saves your butt a little (I mean a little cause my butt still hurts :S).

I'd still use my hardtail for racing though. I seem to have more control and speed on my Litespeed Obed.

I'm sure that there are better FS bikes out there but none looks as good as the Trek Y. It's too bad that Trek doesn't make them anymore. They only have those ugly ugly ugly ugly bikes now.

If you can find one and get it at a good deal, grab it.

Similar Products Used: My first full suspension. I've used a Litespeed Obed and Norco Nitro.
Matt Skelton   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2002]
Strength:

everything, this is the best bike ever! I have used it for 6 months now and it rips up everything. It is kinda old but so light and totally sick. superlight frame, good brakes, good shocks, good components=GREAT BIKE

none, other than people wanting to stop me and talk about the bike.

This is the best bike ever, but it if you can get a reasonable price. i dont like all this "noisy frame" talk it is a bunch of crap this bike sings with the trail.

Similar Products Used: many other Treks
Cdog Holmstrom   Racer [Feb 19, 2002]
Strength:

Light, excellent handling at all speeds (not too steep like the Specialized FSR), durable, well spec'ed, PLUSH!!!! This is the finest bike i've ever ridden and the fastest too!

Don't like the way the fork ended up wearing out. THEY SHOULD START MAKING THESE AGAIN!!!!!!!

Buy one if you can!!!

Similar Products Used: I rode and raced a Bridgestone MB-2 for 9 years before I bought this bike. Since I've ridden a Santa Cruz Superlight, Bullit, and several hardtail bikes. The Y-11 stomps em all.
jughead   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2006]
Strength:

frame,wheels,components

front fork snaped off

this bike rocks...its lighter than any bike you can find today..ezpecially that its carbon fiber and all xtr part...i paid like 1500 for the bike 8 years ago..bought a carbon fiber frame for 1300 put new forks on it and all xtr part...i bought a rim that is not crossed at the bottom its laced straight down it rips...put over 3000 in buying it and in part and is was worth every penny