Trek 930 1998 Bike 1998 or Older

930 1998

Charley from W Mass   Cross Country Rider [Aug 07, 2016]
Strength:

CR-MO frame, nice flex, solid
Relatively easy to upgrade frame with higher-end components

NOS components are becoming harder to find, particularly higher-end rim brake rims

I bought my 94 Trek 930 new in 1995, and have logged thousands of road miles on it; I truly wouldn't trade it for a new Trek! Over the years I have upgraded the components.

My 930's XT 44x34x24 crank will allow me to stay with most road bikes that aren't hell-bent-for-leather, and the lower gears have never disappointed me, even with fairly hefty cargo on hills. My 930 is very nimble, and is quite comfortable on longer rides. The steel frame may be a tad heavy to some, but I find that it accelerates swiftly, has a nice flex to it over rough spots, yet it is very stable on fast descents. I can't really speak to my bike's performance on serious trail riding, as most of my riding is on pavement/dirt roads/and trails that don't cause the surgeon who did my knee replacements sleepless nights. I log a good many miles on ice and snow in our Massachusetts winters, and my trusty 930 has always kept me out of trouble-heck, over the years it's been ridden through at least 6 bonafide blizzards!

My 930's green to purple fade paint has held up very well with a weekly buffing with Pedro's Bike Lust, and it does receive a good number of compliments, usually from older riders like myself who appreciate the quality of a well-made vintage Trek. Apart from the fact that replacement parts for this year Trek are becoming harder to find, I would enthusiastically recommend this bike as a hidden gem you might run across in someone's yard sale. Don't think you'll be disappointed!

Younger riders might be put off with a 3x8 gearing, rim brakes instead of disc, CR-MO frame, and such, but I'm tellin' ya this bike is a lot of bang for the money!

Drew   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2014]
Strength:

light, smooth, sturdy, longevity

Got this bike used for $60. Awesome ride. Can't believe how great it rides given it is 17 years old. Only thing I changed is the handlebar to Race Face lowriser for comfort. Mainly use for commuting but reckon it will fare fine on trails in UK. Used higher spec bikes like Santa Cruz and Turner for big California rides of course. Cannot speak enough about how much fun this bike is. I just now leave my G Fisher Big Sur sitting in the garage. If you can find one of these used, grab it. Huge fan of vintage 90s bikes!!!

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Heckler, Turner 5 spot, GF Big Sur, GF Marlin,
sharma   All Mountain Rider [Oct 11, 2013]
Strength:

Bombproof frame, unbreakable components,Light weight,Handling, Shock absorption (for a rigid bike)

Nothing that i know of

Found it sitting in my landlords basement missing a rear wheel. I looked up and it turned out to be the '96 model with the distinctive green to purple fade paintjob, Yay!. Got it for free in almost new condition :) put a rear wheel, cleaned and lubed everything. I have put in around 1500 miles during my 2 years of college with no problems, not even a squeak! Recently upgraded to rapidfire thumb shifters with 8 speeds and some road tires and it can stay with almost any bike on the road. Soon I will be upgrading to some trick carbon parts and some nice wheels. Gonna keep it forever!

SHANE ALICEA   [Sep 23, 2013]
Strength:

I have a 1990's 930 singletrack with some mods. Its a great bike.

no issues,

If I could find a other one, I would buy it

keep'em treking

Ozkar   [Aug 30, 2012]
Strength:

Rock solid frame and superb ride.

None that come to mind.

Superb bike that won't let it's rider down.

Tina   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2011]
Strength:

As long as I have had my Trex 930, I've had no problems with it. I probably put on about 400 miles a yrs, if not more. I make sure to get an annual tune-up done to keep the bike in good riding condition. Seems to be working, because I love it.

awsome bike! wouldn't trade it for the world.

marky   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2011]
Strength:

good dependable frame. this one came with rock shox, i don't know if that was added. Good gears and pretty light. Great for weekend mb trails or hardcore as well.

no travel whatsoever.

Bottom line is I love this bike. There is a lot of chatter though when riding trails. I would not recommend using it for the road because it has no travel, so you wouldn't want to ride it on the road for a long distance. Great mb, very durable and handles jumps very well.

Similar Products Used: Giant-yukon
hchez   Weekend Warrior [Oct 31, 2010]
Strength:

Light Frame for being steel, Does well up steep hill for being ten years old, Brake system especially on the come down. Keeps up with road bikes that are not pro riders

replaced saddle, Only thing is that the components are aged and sometimes they hesitate up steep hill gear changing. other than than Bike is sweet.

bottom line is thumbs up Trex on this bike...

sohosources   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2010]
Strength:

Can't beat $30 for a mint 930 Single Track w/new lightweight tires! Looks like it's hardly ever been ridden. I will overhaul it anyway -- cuz I'm anal that way -- but I'm betting that with some new high-pressure hybrid tires (next year, after I wear out the already new 65-PSI lightweight off-road tires -- it's make a sweet all-purpose trail rider / commuter. And I thought my $35 Trek 830 Antelope was a good deal... I'm riding these as I tear down a minty-fresh, hand-made Dawes Galaxy (British, circa 1970) that I found at a yard sale for $5. (Not a typo). If I could only find similarly priced used cars!

Have to true the front wheel...

Pretty much the deal of the century...

Similar Products Used: Trek 830, Fuji Boulevard XC, etc.
natvgal   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2009]
Strength:

Solid ride, great downhill with little effort. Used it in an off road triathlon and flew downhill, good control uphill and on rocks.

Replaced grips and found a more comfortable seat.

Love this bike! Handles very well. Am an average size woman riding a men's frame. I like the basic style and have had no problems shifting.

Similar Products Used: First MTB purchase; used a Giant prior to that.