Trek 920 Bike 1998 or Older

Trek 920 Bike 1998 or Older

Trek 920

[Nov 02, 2011]
Gramps_Nl

Strength:

Old bike, still all original and working fine

?

Nice bike, bought it for € 30,00.
Had a few hours work to get it all working good again.
I think it stood still for about 10 years.
Just had to put some air in the tires, and I could mount it :)

nope

[May 06, 2011]
Pim

Strength:

Frame! Light, durable. Some fine system1 and system2 TREK components. For those days. I just like it the way it is. It is a fine bike for the weekend as well as for commuting to work. I've used it for MTB touring, up- and down-hill. It still works.

Brakes. Good thing you can replace them with V-brakes. Alivio crankset. Heavy. Wears out fast. The damn anti chain suck plate. Remove that one immediately or it will damage the chain and/or frame. Those funny reflectors in the wheels, back and front :-)

Best bike I have owned. If maintained well it goes on forever. You can attach fenders and other stuff easily.

None. In fact I've bought a second one in 2011 which is original and great condition. I did enjoy other bikes but never bought them. No need for suspension. And another Trek : the 930 version. Dated 1996 based on the serial number in the frame. Alas, this frame is not that good looking nor responsive. The 930 had a better drivetrain but the other components are less compared to the older 920. So that one will go soon.

[Jul 15, 2010]
EXTREMEPARCHE

Strength:

strong TRUE TEMPER OX COMP frame,size S

frame too small for rear V brake

fast and lovely ride,dreaming about new 920...

SUNN URGE 999

[Apr 05, 2006]
Sezai Oktay

Strength:

Perfect single track geometry, strong frame and fork, stable wheels, lovely ride.

Cheap and heavy bottom bracket (even lasted ten years), plastic pedals.

I am the first owner of this bike purchased in 1995. Jumped to Shimano SPD pedals and Selle Italia saddle after few years. I have cycled about 10.000 km on the road, mountains, dirt and no complaint at all. I changed the bottom bracket, the cassette and the crankset with a new Deore last year and the headset with Deore XT (1994) last month, first time. I think the new mass production aluminium Treks cannot measure swords with this old boy.

It is the bike that takes you where you want to go; moreover you can race on it with some modifications, e.g. a light suspension fork. It is a long touring bike with appropriate tires, which has suitable braze-ons.

If I had one bike only it would be a Trek 920.

Look KG171 and Motobecane Mirage road racing bikes.

[Dec 03, 2003]
Chris Gerber

Strength:

Man, this bike ruled. I had the 94' model 920 (completely rigid), and I still managed to keep up with my friend on his front suspended Schwinn. Rock solid frame, decent geometry, and the lovely feel of steel!

Uhm, the parts were pretty low quality for the riding that they got, but what do you expect on a little entry leveler like this? The quill stem, which is still on the bike is kinda sketchy. I'm turning this bike into a single-speed, and while trying to keep as much original equipment as possible, I thing the stem is going to have to go :(

If you could even find one of these bikes around anymore, I would snatch it up. A reliable bike, the 920 did what it was designed to do...get people on a bike and give them a good enough experience so that they continued biking. While parts weren't the greatest, the bike is a great bike. So many chances to upgrade, but still maintaining the sturdy CrMo construction, the 920 will be able to take you places that any other bike could. Wanna see one beadblasted and turned into a single speed? just ask!

Schwinn Mesa, Huffy, TREK Bruiser ;)

[Jun 25, 2006]
Sruli Berger

Strength:

It's incredibly lightweight and durable as well as adaptive and multi-purpose. Quick and easy size adjustment also goes a long way.

It's a maintain bike and needs some serious road tires to get around town at a decent speed and level of ease. It is difficult to properly install the rear mudguard, etc, due to the non-standard threaded hole location - I found the front one easier to install, though.

I haven't yet figured out what's been updated and what hasn't on my particular bike.
I have an excellent, cushy seat, and it looks like the wheelset has been replaced. I have noticed that it operates best when kept in a single gear, surprise surprise.
It's lightweight enough that is can easily be thrown onto a bus bike rack in a hurry, carried up a flight of stairs after a long ride, or hung without fear. It's also not so lightweight that one would be afraid of banging it up.
I've read that it makesa great touring bike, and so far I would have to agree. The handlebars and seat adjust quickly and easily to suit a variety of body types and sizes.
In essence, if you're a little guy (like me) or gal looking for a sturdy bike that you can carry up the stairs with one hand, it's perfect. It is definitely a great beginner's bike, and I think that it could be customized to suit a pro also.

[Apr 08, 1999]
Kevin

Strength:

Solid upgradable frame

No Ahead set.

My wife bought this bike about 3 months ago. So far its been a great bike for the money. The ridgid fork is 1st in line for an upgrade to shocks. Any other owners got any advice on wear and tear and maintenance?

[Jul 09, 1999]
Chris schutz

Strength:

Awsome biginner bike, i f you are a parent and your kids wants a nice bike give them the tre 920 or 930

STX or lower

solid for begginers, but now i break it every week, i dont think a bike could hold up to me though i kill them, mud snow hill's it has well over 30,000 miles on it, and i just put it in the garage for retirment, now i will have to spen real money on a bike.
i rate 5 stars only for begginers only if you are good then 1 star

trek 6500

[Jul 06, 1999]
John Gerthoffer
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Price/Performance great.

Some low-end components.

Bought in April 1998. Ridden 875 miles since.
I think for the money, I got a very good bike. I had no problems for the 1st year. Got me in the game. I did break the chain after only 450 miles. My ignorance left a stiff link become a failure.I put an Answer Manitou SX-R fork, WTB GreaseGuard headset and generic stem on it this year ('99) and I'm more than satisfied.I started racing & beating guys on $1000+ bikes.

[May 08, 2001]
rk

Strength:

Very durable, exceptional handling

I can't believe that anyone would still read a review of this bike but here goes anyway. I found this 920 at a pawn shop and got the whole bike for $50. I searched out a Trek frame because I knew they fit me well but I was surprised to see a True Temper "OX Comp" sticker on the frame. I beleive this bike is a 97 to 99 model. I do not know the frame angles. I sanded out some serious scratches in the paint and touched the frame up with auto paint (kind of a metalic British Racing Green or dark jade). I built the bike up with a new bottom bracket, and new front derailleur, but otherwise put on used stuff from my old bike. I couldn't be happier. This frame makes a great all around trail bike and if sized just right it has very few if any faults. The bottom bracked to center is 12", SO at the seat is about 28", ETT is 21 1/2". You can do everything with this bike except the extreme end of any of mountin bike specialties (i.e. cross country race, freeride drops, downhill). Consider this frame if you like to build bikes, you have a short inseam but like generous stand over, you like hardtails, you don't need or want more than a 3" fork. My rating is for use as a hardtail all-around trail bike.

Other Treks, K2 ZED, a few other rentals