Trek 8900 SL Bike 1998 or Older

Trek 8900 SL

Sam Iam   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2002]
Strength:

Very few, but if I had to list a couple I would say the fram is very light and well constructed, also the OEM hayes brakes are worth every penny

Anything that says Icon, Bontranger or Rolf. Please read below for futher detail.

OK, excuse the the diatribe but I simply can't take it any longer! I purchased my 8900 on a year end close out, got a great price which I am not complaining about. I am a roadie first and Mt. bike in the off season to maintain some level of fitness. I purchased the bike thinking I was buying something that I could ride for years (more than three seasons) without making any major upgrades too. Geez did Trek see me coming. The first rides were great, no complaints at all. Then came the three years of replacing stuff that said Icon, Bontranger and Rolf (for those who do not know Bontranger, Icon and Rolf are Trek's in house components). What it boils down to is Trek made a good frame and then hung wanker parts (other than the Hayes disk brakes) on the thing. The bike creeked from the the get go and I have replaced nearly everthing on the bike to get it some level that was predicatble and dependable. After three years and more than several dollars I gave up. Over the past year I decided to go full suspension and was looking for something affordable. Needless to say anything in the Trek line did not make it past the first cut. I decided on the GT I-Drive team frame frame through one of the internet liquidation deals. I salvaged as much as I cared too (Hayes Brakes and Rolf Dolomite disk wheels) from the 8900 to reduce cost of the bike change out. Only after building up the GT did realize how bad the 8900's set up really was. The GT handles predictably and dependably as expected. As I mentioned, I keep the the Rolf Dolimite disk wheels to use on the GT, it was only during the build up that I found out that the rear hub has loose bearing! Are you kidding me, no sealed bearing hubs for a bike that retails over $2200! That was the last straw, I must tell anyone who is considering buying a Trek to review the equipment list very carefully. Trek, as well as any major bike manufacturer, will make short cuts on the parts to keep the thing affordable for the masses. I made a bad purchase and that is my own %^@$@*! fault, which I take full responsibility for. My only hope is that someone will read this long winded rambling and take gain some knowledge that will make there next bike purchase a more memorable experiance. Someone in an earlier posting mentioned that Trek stood for "Trek=T(trail)+R(riding)+E(everday)+K(kickass)". I propose that that Trek stands for what is wrong with american bike maufacturing. If you choose to bulid a Huffy then call the bike a Huff and be proud of what you build. But by a all means do not build a "Dork Cheriot" and decide to call it a Trek.

Similar Products Used: None worth mentioning.
j   Racer [Jul 18, 1999]
Strength:

TO MANY TO LIST

NONE, ZERO ,ZIPP

I BOUGHT MY 8900 FRAME USED. AS YOU CAN SEE I HAD A TI GT. WHICH WAS A NICE RIDE. HOWEVER I JUST FELT LIKE WHEN I PUT THE POWER DOWN IT FELT SLUGGISH. WELL WITHIN THE FIRST 5 MINUTES ON THE 8900 I KNEW THIS WAS ONE NO B.S. FAST RIDE. IT CLIMS LIKE A MULE ON STEROIDS ,AND CHOPS UP THE TIGHT SINGLETRACK LIKE A FORMULA 1 CAR. ON THE DOWNHILL IT IS PREDICTABLE. WHICH IS ALL YOU COULD ASK FOR FROM A RACING HARDTAIL. IF I COULD MAKE LOVE TO THIS BIKE WITHOUT MY GIRLFRIEND LEAVING ME I WOULD. I'AM NOW A LOYAL TREK 8900 BUYER

Similar Products Used: GT ZASKAR GT ZASKAR LE GT XIZANG
Brian   [Mar 17, 1998]

I got the 8900 just a couple days ago.. It kicks @$$. The Hayes Disc brakes work awsome and the SID is cool too. Everyone said the SID sucked but its great so far. THe bike also has good components but I had a XTR shifter set and front derailur so I put them on. Also I put on so cool answer carbon fiber bars and a titac stem. The icon stuff looks stupid. I paid $1300 (employee purchase) but even at retail of $2199 its a steal

John   cross-country rider [Mar 19, 1998]

I agree with everyone else. The 8900 is probably one of the best buys in '98. I love the SID, when you set it up for your riding style,or weight.The Hayes work,and feel like motorcycle brakes. I took delivery of my 8900 in early December after waiting nearly two months ,but it was worth every second of those two months. The only problem I had was creaking in the Icon pedals which I replaced with Shimano 747's. I would recomend the 8900 to anyone who likes to get their money's worth in features, and components.

RJ   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2001]
Strength:

Hayes Discs, SID, RR XTR Rear D, Michelin Wild Gripper Lites, Duh, the Alpha Frame

Squeaky

Lite, stiff, quick, climbs like a banshee, brakes are better than my YZF-R6. I've ridden this bike for 3 years, haven't found a single problem. Those of you who complain too much about the squeaks should stop your whinnin and just ride already. For the dough you can't beat the value. Also to the guy who launched his and complained about the rear D snapping off, learn how to ride or get back on your BMX and go hang out with the other little prepubescent boys. If your want an American made racer for little dollars that will help you win races, look no further, and contact me if you want to buy a primo condition 8900sl, I need a 2001 Fuel, hehehe. Peace

Similar Products Used: 94' Trek 930 ST, '96 Y-22
chris jones   Downhiller [Mar 01, 2001]
Strength:

light, nice geometry

lots of little noises

great ride,this is the free ride bike. it smokes uphill and cuts up the single track. i bought this bike used,it has not been without its troubles.squik squik sure. but if you tighten up the cranks she runs like a mouse.im pretty rough on her but thats what shes made for. this bike really promotes your downhill confidence. with the right set up this bikes capabilities are endless. i takes the pain out if the uphill,and destroys the single track. it is the total package.

Similar Products Used: fisher excaliber
Mark Pigott   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2001]
Strength:

light weight frame

After One Year of riding ~2500 miles, this bike is quite
fast as my "road bike", and is also quite capable on the
minimal "off-road" it does.
Built up custom with Mavic 517 rims, ti spokes, GT rear,
White Industries front, and CT-2 stuff to give me a 19.25
pound lightweight..

I don't believer in suspension, but hey everyone is
different (:

Similar Products Used: 1991 Marin Nail trail
WILL Koenig   Downhiller [Jan 12, 2001]
Strength:

I BOUGHT JUST THE FRAME OF THIS BIKE WHEN I WAS 13. IT COST 400 (AUS)WITH A WARRANTY. IT LOOKED GOOD AND WAS FARELY RIGID. I ONLY HAD 4 INCH FORKS ANS SHIMANO STUFF ON IT.

OHH DONT GET ME STARTED.... THE FRAME STARTED OFF WITH A LIGHT CREAKING IN THE B/BRACKET AREA, THEN 2 MONTHS LATER I DID A 3FT DOUBLE, YES IT IS HARD TO BELIVE BUT ONLY 3 FEET HIGH AND THE REAR END COMPLETELY SNAPPED OFF AND I STACKED HARDCORE.

IT IS HARD TO BELIVE THAT PEOPLE PAY THOUSANDS FOR THESE COMPLETE BIKES THAT SUCK SO BADLY IT MAKES ME FEEL SICK.
OHH YEAH, TREK SAID, "NO FRAME FOR YOU"

Similar Products Used: NONE
Rick   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2000]
Strength:

nice light xc frame

creaking in the seatpost area of the frame

The 8900 is a really nice aluminum frame. I has excellent excelleration and handeling. However, as many have noted it creaks. Having worked at a trek dealer for 2 years, the creaking has to do with a seatpost shim that is glued into the frame to step down the seatpost size to 27.1 - This shim is what normally caueses the creaking. sometimes locktight helps - but sometimes it doesn't. You might notice that the new Trek SL frame went to a bigger seatpost to eliminate this problem. Otherwise this is a nice hartail.