Trek 850 Bike 1998 or Older

James Barber   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2017]
Strength:

Very strong frame

I have put a 62 cc four stroke on a rat trap and it works great I am hauling 110 pounds of trailer generator and batteries I have 1000 W on the front and 500 W on the trailer with the four stroke traction engine and a generator to charge 48 V batteries I have infinite range as long as I have gas same old story

Dale   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2016]
Strength:

Iron-clad dependability

Shamano shifter slips a bit in a couple of the 21 speeds

I bought 850 XS in 1998, for $600.00. I hadn't rode in in the last 4-5 years...pulled it out earlier to month, aired the tires, and BOOM: she was ready to go, again. 18 yr-old bike - no defects.

David Adams   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2016]
Strength:

This bike seems to be bulletproof. The Chromalloy frame is solid.

I can't think of many. Although a little on the heavy side, it is still lighter than a discount store bike. Some people don't like the Shimano Altus gears, but I'm fine with them. I like the rapid fire shifters. They require very little maintenance. I would have had to adjust the gears a dozen times had it been a discount store bicycle.

I purchased this bike around 1993 when I was going to college full time. I love the paint job which is part of what attracted me to it. It is gray, purple and florescent orange. This was my first bike shop quality bike. I have kept a mileage journal and update it periodically to keep track of my mileage. to date I have nearly 8,000 miles on this bike. This has been a great joy in my life. I have taken good care of it and kept it clean, degreased and lubed periodically. this bike is like a Timex watch in that it keeps on ticking. This bike keeps on giving. The only thing you have to worry about is replacing components as they wear out such as the cassette. the chain once it stretches, replacing tires/tubes, pedals, and brake pads. I did put a new set of rapid fire shifters on and a new set of wheels. Other than that my bike is still stock. I have the original seat, crankset and handlebars. The bike has a 7 speed cassette and a triple crank on the front. I once hit 42 m.p.h. downhill when I first owned the bike. The Chromalloy frame absorbs road shock very well; much better than an aluminum frame. The bike is very robust. After 24 years of riding this machine, it rides nearly as good as when it was new. It has a sealed bottom bracket which I have never once had to replace. I definitely got what I paid for. I am quite sure I will get another 10 years out of this bike, maybe more.

S Wells   [Sep 02, 2015]
Strength:

Light, nimble, and very strong frame

I got my 850 Mtn Track back in 1994 and I love that bike. I used to ride it almost every day on the Thun rail-trail before it was a trail. I rode slamming over old ties and then up into a nearby state park loaded with rocky trails steep hills and awesome single track. This bike is indestructible! Then I got married and the bike sat around—got saddled with a kid seat and later a trailer bike. My youngest has started riding a two-wheel bike and my older boy traded with a friend to get a mtn bike. I took the trailer bike off and went riding single-track trails through the woods with my older boy. I haven’t ridden any real single track trails in years—Wow! I Love this bike! It’s light, nimble and fun. I looked into what’s new with mtn bikes and it’s all about the bike today and the suspension and $$$. I say consider going old-school rigid where the focus was more on the riding and not on the bike. Old school riding is about reading the trail, choosing the right line and focus. You didn’t just smash and squish over everything—it takes finesse to ride rigid and the riding trail becomes a game of strategy, skill and balance. How far can you go without dabbing your foot down on a technical stretch of trail? Unbolting all the kid stuff from my 850 and taking it back into the woods again brings back what a joy this bike is to ride. This bike is really quick and is a great climber. Don’t get too dazzled by all the expensive new suspension stuff—you might find that you can keep your cash and have as much or even more fun with a good quality old bike like the 850.

Jerry   All Mountain Rider [Jun 09, 2015]
Strength:

Bulletproof, tough as nails...easy to work on...looks great, rides great...Did I mention this bike is indestructible?? Priced right...frame and fork USA made...looks great!

Original tires sucked...

I bought this baby new back in 96, so have been riding it for almost 20 yrs and LOVE IT, my fav bike ever!. My first and only mountain bike, have kicked the crap outta it the entire time....beat my 17 yr old nephew on a steep uphill fifteen yrs ago (he had a maxed out super expensive GT) he ended walking his up...as I passed him... last yr a friend bought a high end carbon bike with all the bells and whistles, he wanted to race my old beat to balls trainwreck (his words) then and i promptly dusted his ass! LOL Fifteen yrs ago I put new tires on it, new much better brake pads, bar ends and thats it! five yrs ago the shifters stopped working, read online that old lube will harden in em and cause em to fail. The fix is to spray the insides with an entire can of wd40 and let sit overnite, next day worked just like new! Ive ridden it on wicked downhills, up the steepest hills...in rain, desert, jungle, mountains...anywhere and everywhere and its never let me down. MSRP was 440 bucks back in 96, I got it for $380...got my moneys worth out of it and then some...and will never get rid of it....like the energizer bunny, keeps going...and going....

ken polk   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2014]
Strength:

Strong Bike
Heavy Frame for ruff trails

None!

Just any over all good old MTB. If you don't like it, just sell it to someone who will make use of a nice cheap (Price) bike.

Similar Products Used: I got my Mountain Track 850 in 2013 from a pawn shop in Louisville Ky, and I've been in love with it every since. Now I'm setting it up for the road to commute back and forward to work. Just a nice old MTB to restore or upgrade.
Roberto Torres   [Nov 15, 2012]
Strength:

I have an older trek 850 mt track xc and i love it dont need another bike this trek is as good as a new bike ride's great.

Dont seem to have any.

Trek must get.

juan balandran   [Nov 10, 2012]
Strength:

mt track trek 850 true temper full cro- moly bike FOR SALE

I have a mt track TREK bike FOR SALE which I bough at an estate sale if anyone is interested you can reach me @ 562 230-3573 I am in lakewood california i can send pics

Fred   [Oct 26, 2012]
Strength:

Bulletproof frame

Weak stock compunents

I purchased mine from Debo in Arlington,TX in '95. The frame, gears and forks are original. I replaced the rear wheel with a tandem wheel to hold up my 400# butt and the handlebars and shifters to ride more comfortably. I only ride on roads now, so I have street slicks instead of knobbies. It is my favorite bike.

HillMan2011   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2011]
Strength:

Incredible strength this bike has. If you like rigid road biking this is the bike.

For me none!

I need another Trek 850 Antelope! If anyone has one for sale let me know please. Will consider all conditions / frames / parts.