Trek 830 SHX Bike 1998 or Older

Trek 830 SHX

Thomas   [Aug 02, 2013]
Strength:

Durable as all get out. I tried and tried to kill this bike and it refused to die. It will be alive when I'm gone, I'm sure of it.
Smooth shifting.
Brakes nice and responsive.
Quick release tires and seat post (pretty fancy for back in the day, no biggie today).
Grip shifts

A tad on the heavy side but that's all the negs I'll give it.

I bought this bike for $75 back in 1995 off of a friend who was in desperate need of money.
At the time I didn't even think I'd ride it and bought it just to help the dude out. Well, I did ride it,
A L-O-T! That bike moved with me up and down the East Coast, I pounded that thing on
every trail I could find. I NEVER had any issues with that bike and as far as maintaining it? Oiled
the chain and bought one set of tires. I ended up selling it in 2009 for $50 to put down on a newer
bike. Looking back, I wish I kept it because it was a smaller frame size and I could toss it in the
car and take it anywhere and I LOVED the grip shifts. Miss my old 830.....miss her dearly.

Rob55   [Oct 28, 2012]
Strength:

Cheap. Bullet proof. Novice wrench friendly. Easy to tweek and up grade. Standard stuff fits. CroMo ride. Fairly nimble. Climbs well and easy to control on the downhills. Has done more than a few miles of 30% downhill rough trail with over 200 lbs in the saddle without a single failure. classic lines.

It's heavy. The group on it was pretty basic. The pedals sucked. Like most MT bikes the Geometry is not quite laid back enough for commuting or cruising.

I was looking for a 21 inch Bridge stone MB1 or MB2 on Craigslist 10 years ago and ran across this thing for $100. When I called the man didn't know what size it was and swore it was new. He said he was a big guy and the bike fit him. He was 10 miles away and I rode out to look. He had two, a 17 inch, and a 19 inch. A quick glance at the chain rings and rims verified they were hanging in his garage untouched for a decade. the tires still had label residue on them. I told him they were too small and he offered me both for $100. I offered him $50 for the 19 inch and 10 years later it has slicks, a shimano dyno hub, fenders, and racks on it. I've commuted a couple thousand miles on it. I also did some laid back trail riding with it before the conversion 10 years ago. It still looks like new. I take it apart and clean it up every spring. It will still be going when my grand kids are old enough to ride it. If I find a 21 inch frame I like I'm going to put a single speed hub on this one.

hookydoo   Racer [Nov 21, 2011]
Strength:

it's pretty much an old battle tank of ancient myths now

I'ts the heaviest rigid bike you'll ever find

okay, so I have the 1989 830 and it is pretty much the heaviest and toughest rigid mtb I've ever seen. not that anyone will see this (who looks up reviews on this thing???)
this is the kind of bike that is good for a rail trail and some mtb trails and thats about it. It will never die. It cannot be stopped. right now I have an engine mounted on mine and have done away with that rigid fork and replaced it with an old rock shox. If you find one for 50 bucks or less I might think about it for a commuter or something like that, but it is quite old and outdated in every meaning of the word.

Similar Products Used: 1999 hookooekoo, orginal Haro Extreme, Trek 4300,stuff like that.
jbeasley   Downhiller [Nov 20, 2010]
Strength:

good bike light wight and good on trails

my trek moutain trak 830 has no shocks so that a downer

this is a good bike

Similar Products Used: none
fozzie0909   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2010]
Strength:

extremely light and durable. The type of bike you fully expect to see being riden 15 years later.

have not found any yet

this bike has become the family favorite whenever we go out on rides. we do not ride real fancy but the quality of this bike is clear and i find it very unlikely that i will find a better bike with out spending a small fortune. This is a great bike for the serious rider as well as the weekend warrior.

Similar Products Used: old rock hopper
tim   Cross Country Rider [Dec 11, 2009]
Strength:

Great Shifting, Light, Durable

Could Use suspension

Great bike for the money. If I would have gotten this bike first, it would have save me alot of money trying other bikes.

r_kleinpaste   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2009]
Strength:

Great beginner bike. Purchased because they don't make good lower end chick mountain bikes. Easy to handle even though it's a bit on the heavy side. Floats over rocks, the shocks are awesome!!! Stiff but not to stiff. Breaks are great. Took two spills down the mountain; the bike survived like it never happened, unlike me.

Frame is heavy even for it's time.

If you get a chance to purchase this bike, it goes forever and has some upgrade ability. It's agile, quick and indestructible. It's a great ride. I can't get rid of it!

Similar Products Used: Trek Y22
panda-man   Weekend Warrior [Feb 01, 2009]
Strength:

Great bike for its time in 1994. Cromoly frame, though heavy at the time compared to aluminum was strong and managed to survive the beating I gave it. It also was my first introduction to GripShifts as well.

Could have used better components

I bought this bike way back in '94 and I still have it. Somehow, I can't part with my first real bike... Though I now have a 2008 Trek Fuel EX8, I still ride this for fun and ol' times sake. It is still a good ride even after 15 years...

Roger Dodger   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2008]
Strength:

Light but solid. Takes a real beating and surprisingly resilient. Looks nice too. Old school, no nonsense, sweet ride.

Components are little weak, but mine have surprisingly held up for the last 20 years! Not bad.

Solid, made in USA, classic Trek. You gotta love this workhorse. A classic.

Yukio   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2008]
Strength:

This bike is indestructible! Awesome cro-moly frame. Very responsive at high speeds. The cantilever brakes stop on a dime.

Low end components. Grip shifters tend to change gears as you go over bumpy terrain, but I guess that just comes with the territory when it comes to grip shifters. Rigid fork makes me nervous on the same bumpy terrain at high speeds and my hands seem to go numb before the end of my rides. I can only assume that it's from fatigue from the bone-rattling riding I have been doing.

I like this bike alot. There is very little information about the Trek Mt. Track XC 830 out there, but from where I'm standing it's a pretty good starter bike. (And the price can't be beat!) It can certainly take whatever I can throw at it and come back wanting more. I'd say that if you are looking for a bike to get into the sport with this bike won't let you down.

I've rated it as a great value (I got mine for FREE after all and the frame is bomb-proof) but rated it 3 chilis being that it's got low-end components and is so old that it's lacking the technological advances that have been made in the last decade or so. The frame rocks though. I tend to rate things pretty tough because I try to be realistic.

Similar Products Used: First 'real' bike and the only one I've ridden for any length of time. I've test ridden a couple of fairly high end bikes, but there is really no comparison between those bikes and this one. This bike is ancient and those were brand new. You usually get what you pay for.