Trek 800 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Trek 800 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Trek 820

[Sep 09, 2017]
Trek Guy

Strength:

The bike is super reliable. The only issue we have ever had is the brakes need adjusting, and maybe the rims, but that is to be expected on a 25 year old bike.

The v brake setup needs to be adjusted because they will slowly move back and forth and sometimes rub on the rim.

Our Trek Antelope 800 was a wedding gift that my parents purchased when they got married, they got it as a Christmas present. Our 1993 Antelope 800 has over 6,000 miles on it, and is still rolling. Trek bicycles are built for quality and reliability, and I will be keeping my Antelope 800 for years to come. I am purchasing an 820 in December, and I am so excited for the matte black color. By the way, the green on the Antelope is awesome!

[Jun 28, 2013]
Tim

Strength:

Dependable, smooth, easy to look at.

non from my point of view

My grandfather bought this bike new in 96' gave it to me in 98' to take to college. I have been riding it ever since. The only thing I have ever replaced are tubes and tires. I changed out the old knobby tires for some smooth road tires. Always shifts smooth and rides straight. I have always kept it in a garage or basment. No rust at all. I just took it into the trek store for its first ever tune up, cleaning and lube in 15 years. It now looks and rides like it is brand new. I thought about upgrading to a new Trek FX 7.1, but this bike just rides so nice I cant do it and after 15 years I have become a little attached. Best Bike i have ever owned. It would have to be destroyed or stolen for me to get a new one. This is a very solid well built bike. Thanks for the 15 years of fun Trek, looking forward to 15 more.

[Aug 03, 2012]
Robert Guadagnolo

Strength:

I like my Trek Antelope 800. It was bought in 1991 and now it's 2012. The bike frame is tough and many people who know about bikes have all commented on the excellent welding job and how it's not visible.
My bike has endured a house fire and all the rubber and plastic pieces had to be replaced. I live in Montreal Canada and i ride all year round, summer and winter.
In 1991, the store was saying the bike usually sells for $800. but we bought two because they were having a sale and were selling each bike for half price at $400.
This bike has been to hell and back.
I wore out the derailleur and front crank twice. I am on my third chain. I wore out the hand grips twice. Both wheels had to be replaced because the bearings were finished and the wheels got warped after years of hard riding. I bought higher handle bars because i dislike the high-seat low-handle bars idea.

I put fenders on the bike and a rack in the back for saddle-bag and i use it for shopping and everything.

The only weakness i can think off were the forks that had to be changed once.
What had happened is i saw a cute woman and i was not looking where i was riding and a i hit a car bumper waiting at a red light. I wasn't going fast at all but the result was that my front tire was touching the frame after the hit. Another time, the goose neck cracked inside. But these two incidents happened only after i had the bike for year and years. The gear changer for the crack side of the gears just recently lost it's 1 2 3 dial, but the gears still change alright.
The bike is much lighter than most CCM and Supercycle bikes.

Great bike for 1991.I am sure there are better bike nowadays but i see the welding is very noticeable on most bikes i look at these days.

[May 19, 2011]
PRGrimaldi

Strength:

Strong Frame, Good Quality Components, Nimble Handling

No Suspension

I bought this bike in 1997 and got a discount off of the MSRP. I rode the S?$# out of this bike on the forest preserve trails for 5 years, and then stored it for 8 in my unheated garage. When I pulled it out to start getting some exersise again, all it needed was a good cleaning, air in the tires, and some minor adjustments. Wanted a suspension bike since I am getting older (50) and picked up a 1997 Y5 cheap. Gave the 800 Sport to my sister and she is still riding it.

1997 Trek Y5

[May 17, 2011]
industrialphreak
Downhiller

Strength:

Great basic entry level mnt bike, i use them for motorbicycle projects

no mounting points for disk breaks, needs a little mod's for wider nuvinci drive axel

WICKED compatible bike for hard core project thiends.

[Oct 18, 2010]
Rob Larkins

Strength:

Great solid well built bike. Quality components ie Shimano derailers and gear sets.

A bit heavy. Tire noise on the street (that's a mountain bike)

I bought this bike new in 98". The first thing I did was swapped out the front forks for a ROCKS SHOX and a Schwinn head clamp (to make it work) and narrower bar. If I remember correctly it all came out an inch forward and an inch lower. I had no problems commuting up very steep long hills or playing around on novice single tracks or 20 mile jaunts with the mud tires howling the whole way. Fast forward 8-9 years after a couple kids, and letting the bike set out in a barn for most of a decade, took the bike in for lube and service and installed some slicks (not sure the brand) I am very excited to ride this thing with road tires. All cleaned up this thing still looks in fact brand new!
Anyone who wants to buy the JEEP of bikes should seriously look at the TREK800. Only bike I will ever have to buy.

BMX bikes. Wifes Schwinn (really smooth), TREK 8300 (?) friends bike, lighter and more expensive

[Sep 08, 2010]
McCormack

Strength:

I had my trek antelope 800 since 1993 and it still rides great! It holds up well in all types of weather.I had the bike for 17 years and the frame is still solid!Make sure you maintain the bike and it will last for ever...

The trek antelope 800 has 21 speeds, wish it had more!!

If you want to get your money worth on a bicycle get the trek antelope 800
P.S.
Not sure if Trek still makes this model

Huffy

[Jul 09, 2010]
Zane

Strength:

Good and strong I have wrecked off a 10 foot cliff I picked it up and rode away with only minor scraches of the paint the weight is a part I like also I like a little weight when I'm riding it makes the bike more stable

None that I have found

It is a great bike sturdy enough to fall 10 feet and nimble enough to go on tight and windy trales I normaly ride dirt bikes and I love doing that but I needed a good way to have fun with friends and famly I love my bike if ur just starting to ride mountain bikes this is the best bike for it's price level. Don't buy it if u don't have a good back because it dosent have front shocks

This is my first nice bike I used wal mart bikes 4 a long time

[Jun 25, 2010]
P?ll Jens Reynisson

Strength:

It lasts.

Do damping forks or daming on seats

luv it, used it for 13 years (since 1997) it is perfect.

[May 03, 2010]
jzutz

Strength:

Solid - Simple - Sturdy - Stupendous!

Front suspension would be nice. Handlebars should extend higher. Could use a larger main sprocket (3rd).

Had for 14-15 years! I've replaced tubes, tires, and brake pads. That's it! I've given it a lube job 3 times. Performs flawlessly. I will replace the fork/yoke bearings this year though, they have finally worn out. It is faster than the other 3 "good" bikes we have, but high gear is not high enough. It's perfect for flat road with no wind, but if there is a tail wind or a downgrade, I can't pedal fast enough. I do miss the speed of my old schwinn road bike (1982), but for the second bike i've ever owned, I won't complain. I would really like a sprung fork... I'm going to see if I can fit one. If I can, I'll keep it another 15 years. And maybe 15 more after that.

$350-500 mtb's from bike shops. Front only, or full susp.