Trek 7000 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

7000 Bike

Trek 7000SHX

donalan   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2011]
Strength:

Frame and components

Frames run a little small very very rigid

Lol its 2011 and I still ride mine. One shifter broke and I have replaced the grips tires and wheels thats it. Of course I have a full suspension as this full rigid is impossible to ride fast on very rough/rocky terrain. Doesnt mean you cannot ride it on rough terrain you just wont be able to keep up with suspension bikes and it will beat the hell out of you. But when I bought it new in the early 90's there were no suspension bikes and mt. biking was very very new to the mainstream.

I laugh when I think of the things I rode with this using traps - too many scars to count. now I use it as a backup bike or road bike. You can still do well on anything but rought rooty or rocky single track for sure. I just like the history and btw almost all the original stuff works like a champ.

Bonus is beating mates whom the bike is older than...

dzlexus   Weekend Warrior [Jan 17, 2011]
Strength:

Everything alrady listed. great bike. have two must sell his hers. Purchased $600 each

I do not have shocks. Not bad for all that riding. Very new bikes.

fantastic ride. Safe, great quality products and components, durable and comfortable

gary   Weekend Warrior [Jan 07, 2011]
Strength:

frame,light,speed!

thank you, bike shop guy who 21 yrs ago needed money to fix his mustang! have been DRIVING this classic 89 ever since! even has stock tires and tubes! never part with her!

Similar Products Used: giant
Michael   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2008]
Strength:

Good frame, light, and strong.

no replaceable dropout(but hey, it's 13 yrs old)

Bought it in August of 1995 I believe. Went to get a 930, but there was a shortage so they said, 'Take the 7000(orig $800) for the 930's price'. It was my first MTB in High school, rode it pretty heavily then and in College. So for the 5 years I consistently rode it, it performed well and never really complained about anything, besides an occasional creaking from the bottom bracket/frame area.
I soon replaced the stock cranks which were Exage 48/38/28 I believe, with a set of LX cranks 42/32/22 & bottom bracket. With them a set of SPD's and I threw on the Psycho-k's. Between the pedals and the cranks, it was a different bike. Though I've barely ridden it in about 8 yrs, since getting married,kids, and moving, I had considered buying a newer Specialized stumpjumper or Gary Fisher Sugar. But I have this 7000 and don't want to part with it. So I may just refresh it, new tires, brakes, front suspension. Germany has an abundance of places to ride, and i'd like to take advantage of it this season.

Similar Products Used: none, my first MTB
Josep Viñolas   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2004]
Strength:

Frame, strong enough to be intact after so many crashes. So easy to controll downhill (specially if you go so quick!!).

Leak of front suspension (after so many years now I'm planning and upgrade)

This is the best bike I've ever ride. You can change anything but the frame: there is the strenght of this bike. Front suspension is a must have if you use it downhill: then it is one of the best trek bikes I've ever ridden.

Similar Products Used: Other Trek bikes. I love them all!!!
Barrett Ishida   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2002]
Strength:

The frame is Excellent, strong, lightweight and durable.

Not much at all

I owned the Trek 7000 until a few months ago when I had to sell it because I moved. I don't know exactly what year it was, but I know it was from around 1992-94 or something. I really miss this bike because it was extremely light and strong. It was a fully ridgid bike w/ no suspension. I purchased it for $150 from my next door neighbor in the dorms and I got a steal on this bike!

Barrett Ishida   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2002]
Strength:

The frame is Excellent, strong, lightweight and durable.

Barrett Ishida   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2002]
Strength:

The frame is Excellent, strong, lightweight and durable.

Richard Wun   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2003]
Strength:

Light, strong, functional components, and reasonable price for the money. Strong rims that stay true ride after ride.

Needs better shock, shifters, and brakes than what comes with it.

This should be the last bike I will ever buy. It's light, stiff, and handles like a dream. Good mid-range
bike. But the components could be upgraded to full XT or better.

Similar Products Used: Trek 9000 full suspension.
yuenglingrider   Racer [Jun 22, 2006]
Strength:

everything except shock

front shock

I bought the bike when I was 20 and rode/jumped the balls off it,this bike is well built and balanced.I am 31 now and back in the saddle again(after 5 years:( I am happy to be riding again and will not stop until I am unable.