Trek 6000 Bike 1998 or Older

Dave   [Aug 17, 2012]
Strength:

This bike has gone the distance with me. I've had it 18 years and thought I wanted to buy a new bike. I cleaned it up, bought some new tubes and I wouldn't think of getting a new one. No point. All I need is a new saddle and she will easily last another 18. I'll be almost 70 by then. Good purchase all around.

Sometimes rough on the pavement with the knobbies, but it is still worth the rough to have them when you need them.

Love my Trek 6000. I bought her for the aluminum frame. I wanted a flex that was better than my old road bikes. My legs were too strong for the older frames and I could put a twist on a road bike climbing a hill. This was a great transition to get away from racing and it has gone the distance and still is rolling.

andy barry   Downhiller [Sep 20, 2011]
Strength:

Great reliabily -still looks BAD.Will stay with most any of the new bikes.Easy shifting.Running with less nobby tires and that works great on the street on light off road-a little challenging off road.Overall a GREAT BIKE.Looked at buying a UTOPIA just today but "old reliable" might just keep me from buying it.

Cable tends to stretch.

One of the best bikes Trek ever came up with.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1500 racing bike
Scott H   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2011]
Strength:

Great overall lightweight MB. Purchased it in I think 1994 and have enjoyed it every time I have jumped on. Have kept it tuned and greased and I think it may out live me. I would buy the same bike again.

I bit ridged however saddle it excellent.

Still looks and rides great after 17 years.

rob ehrsam   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2011]
Strength:

15 years old and only tires, seat, and brakes have been replaced.

heavy rider for city streets

great bike after 15+ years of riding back trails, city streets, country roads

engineerpro18   Weekend Warrior [May 25, 2011]
Strength:

Amazing Quality. Have had this bike since I was 13 years old and I just replaced the rear gear shift last year (2010).

If there is one, I haven't found it.

Probably the best bike for the money at the time of purchase. I am hesitant to even buy another bike considering that I just recently had to replace a shifter.

Andy   Weekend Warrior [Mar 27, 2011]
Strength:

Great bike, nice components and fairly light. Handles well and can take so abuse, very nice suspention, brakes and DEORE shifters, it goes pretty fast.

Tyres are very thin, not very grippy, and continually punture, saddle offers very little compfort.

A great bike for anyone looking for just that little bit more than the average mountain bike. Apart from the two minor setbacks I have mentioned that can be rectified in a jiffy, its a definate hit!

Similar Products Used: Trek MT220
David Martin   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2010]
Strength:

The frame has not broken yet.

The componet quality is suspect. I am on my third chain in three years. I have had eight broken spokes. and now the high gear skips.

I bought this bike to commute to work 2.8 miles one way. I have never been of the pavement with it. It is far too fragile a bike for me. The last chain snapped while riding up a hill, not vey much fun. I originally went looking for a police model since watching the police train by riding down steps led me to believe these were heavy duty bikes. The bike shop said the 6000 was equivalent. I feel that I really got screwed on this bike. My 38 year old Schwinn rolls better and turns sharper and I only had to replace the chain once after 6258 miles.

Similar Products Used: This is only the second bike I have purchased. I still ride my 1972 Schwinn Varsiy whenever (too often) that the Trek is broken.
hptmatt   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2010]
Strength:

Pretty light, good components for the price, can take a beating (not for downhilling or freeriding though, as it is a hardtail)

Tires aren't very grippy

Great bike, can definitely take a beating from a beginner, or a more experienced rider. Handles well, and not too wide so you can get through those narrow parts on the trail. The stock tires kind of suck, and slide everywhere, but those are easy to upgrade, plus, you'll probably want to go tubeless pretty quickly anyway. This frame is built to last, so once you get more into it, put a dual air suspension fork, some SRAM X7 or X9 components (unless you switch everything at one time to Shiamno, but don't try to mix shimano and SRAM), and you've got one helluva bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized HR, Trek 4500
nick 6000   Weekend Warrior [Dec 26, 2009]
Strength:

Avid disk brakes, rock shock dart 3 fork with lock out, shram shifters, 9 speed set up, looks of the bike,

seat

The 2009 trek 6000 is one sweet bike. It really blows my old 3700 out of the water. It is extremly comfortable, and its really fast compared to my old 3700. (you had to kill yourself pedalling to get that thing to move out of its own way.) I like the way i am positioned on the bike. I dont feel stretched out and i feel alot more confident going over any trail obsticale. The avid disk brakes perform awesome even in wet conditions. The rock shock dart 3 front fork has a lock out so you can fly without boucing up and down on the road. I love the double under shram shifters. The bikes shifts are quick and firm, without any lock ups. The bike is by far one of the sharpest looking bikes out there. (i love the matte black/grey.) The trek 6000 is a very solid, fast, and comfortable bike that can take a beating. My only complaint is that the seat is a little un comfortable. I would recomend this bike to an intermediate trail rider.