Team Marin Bike old Bike 1998 or Older

Marin Bike old

Team Marin

Kirk Wallace   weekend warrior [Sep 20, 1998]

I owned a Marin Rocky Ridge model for three years which including some extreamly hard riding in Moab which tortures bikes. It was a great deal at $600 on sale. Over the years I eventualy upgraded most of the LX parts to XT or XTR with a Marzocchi shock. The original aluminum frame performend well and took some hard riding (and crashing) until it finally developed a small crack at the rear seat stays. Marin stood by their life time warenty and offered to replace the frame with one of equal or higher value. They evetulaly agreed to give me a huge discount on a team titanium frame. The team issue is the nicest hard tail I have ever riden and is far supperior in ride comfort to any aluminum frame. It is very light (3 llbs) and just seems to love climbing hills and shreding single track. Marin really stands by their product and seems to offer good value for what ever amount you want to spend. Nice folks too.

Scott Maitland   weekend warrior [Mar 13, 1998]

Bought my '96 Team Marin slightly used and for a great price! After test riding Giant, Trek, other Marins, Kona, Specialized, Jamis and Mongoose...this was by far the best ride. Absolutely love the triple butted frame and the XT equipment works great. Still like the feel of a good steel frame....

zeck   weekend warrior [Jul 09, 1997]

First mountain bike I got and I LOVE IT !
It is very quick and responsive and the bike, though
not exactly the lightest, is agile and cool! Mine's a
93 model and has stock parts - the old XT push push shifters
which I upgraded with LX rapid fire plus now. Tange Prestige
Frame.Very nice. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten a less
bike so that I can really feel the difference when I upgrade. ;)Anyway, my next bike is a Dean Jester or a Kona Hei Hei .....Stay cool and ride HARD!

Sophie Gilbert   cross-country rider [Nov 04, 1997]

I have a '95 Marin Bear Valley which has been an excellent ride. It has stood up extremely well to everything I have thrown at it. There is little to moan about! For a good all round entry level bike, I would recommend it. I am hoping to replace it soon with a '97 Mount Vision which I have test ridden and can't wait to get my hands on it!! I'll let you know how I get on.

Stephen Brown   weekend warrior [Jan 17, 1997]

I have a 91 Marin Team with no suspension and its one of the best bikes I've ever riden, I've worn out the drivetrain a couple of times, but the bike still handles awsome. Its the best climbing bike I've ever riden and I prefer it to my 95 M2. I use it for commuting now and nothing beats the feel of the frame.

Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2001]
Strength:

Lightweight, stiff frame,
superior handling

I ride my Marin Team for almost 8 years now (38000km) and it is still a joy. The frame is a phenomenon, it´s hard and reacts as it is merely unused... I´ve got no suspension, but a Kona Project2 fork, which suits the frame very well. The ´93 frame is made of Tange´s triple butted Ultimate ultralight, ultrastrong tubing. I still love that bike and got no clue how to replace it, when it´s necessary...
I think of it as a budget version of the old Yo Eddy!

Similar Products Used: Stumpjumper
Yo Eddy!
Juan Pablo Yanez   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 10, 1999]
Strength:

Shifting system, frame an fork.
Climbing is great, same with climbing.
Steel is on!

seatpost, seatpost clamp.
pedals.

Grat deal. Cross country racing ready. Fair weight. Marin is after all these years still improving it craft. Well, my first bike was a 1992 Pine Mountain.

Similar Products Used: GT Avalanche, Trek 8000
Mike   Racer [Jul 27, 1999]
Strength:

Price point(especially with employee purchase) great looks, awesome fork, smooth ride, steel is real!

a little heavy (26 lbs stock 17.5) needs longer seatpost, QR seatpost stock, DT shifter cable routing

THe smooth Columbus steel takes me through the bumps faster than my old Easton steed. I finish the day fresher. Climbs well, handles smooth and predictable, but needs to shed a few lbs. I love the adjustability of the manitou fork, although in Michogan the most plush setting is all you need, there are no big hits here.