Specialized Stumpjumper Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Stumpjumper Bike

Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS Comp

Alain   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2009]
Strength:

It's light, very responsive. Great climber.

As a hardtail, I find no weakness to the frame.

Every year I tell myself, now is the time to move to the next step: dual suspension. All my friends have made the move and yet they are still lagging behind when it comes to climb and even on descent I can still match them. This bike gives me the same level of confidence in descent as their full suspension. Of course in long, very technical descent it can't compete with today's dual suspension bike but then after the descent, this bike takes back the lead.
I don't think that any of my next bikes will live that long and give me that much satisfaction

renegaderains   Cross Country Rider [Dec 22, 2008]
Strength:

Strong, light and very durable. Also I love the geometry of the 94-96 area cromo stumpys

The older than 94' cromo models are heaver and lack modern fork compatibility.

I've ridden stump jumpers for a long time and really like them. I only ride the cromo ones because I ride on gravel and pavement a lot. Alloy frames on gravel really stink! The best model years seem to be 94-96 cromo frame and 99 and up alloy frames. There were problems with the early alloy frames cracking. All of this means nothing if you don't beat the tar out of your bike. "Dammit Jim!, it's a cross county bike not a dirt jumper." Really though stumpjumpers are a great used bike buy.

Similar Products Used: early 90's stumpjumper, 93 hardock, 94 mongoose amplifier, 2003 hard rock, 07 Blur LT and my new project a 96' cromo stumppy!
Schwinng   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2008]
Strength:

This is my 2nd Stumpy, a 17" frame in a non-metallic "royal blue" color. I bought it from a good friend of mine just today and rode Aliso Woods on it this morning. I owned my other Stumpy about 10 years ago, when I was around 40 years old. The jarringly stiff frame feels even more jarring now at 50 years old, but it sure does pay off in terms of climbing efficiency. And, this bike has always provided an extremely balanced ride in terms of predictability on the trail and the rider's position in its cockpit. It handles just about any trail situation with very nice manners, and can be pushed pretty hard. It is very lightweight without even trying (upgrading components can result in a super-light hardtail with very little $ or difficulty). You still see some vintage Stumpys out there, which is just a testament to how durable these little hardtails can be. It came stock with a 11-30 rear 8-speed cassette, but I'm going to see if I can find an 11-32 to save my knees a bit on really steep ascents. The front chain rings are your typical 22-32-42. The Manitou "Pro" fork has stacks of elastomer bumpers, which still work pretty well to this day, but which needs some grease as the bike's been sitting in my bud's garage for quite some time. It comes with Specialized brand tires, which were very good in the traction and cornering depts., but which even when deflated to about 25 PSI still provided a very harsh ride down technical rock bed descents -- I'm also going to see about some better padded grips because my hands were killing me during and after today's 3 hour ride.

None really. Great balanced ride and handling, predictable, super-stiff frame is jarring, but makes this bike an incredibly efficient climber (more important to me these days), components are just fine ... no complaints at all.

Great, classic hardtail with very predictable and nice manners on the trail regardless of trail conditions. Very stiff frame resulting in outstanding climbing prowess, but a very jarring ride on very rocky terrain -- I'm going to experiment with different tires over the next few months to find one that'll take some off some of the sting on fast technical DH (rocky) sections, but which does not compromise climbing and cornering strengths. Very lightweight with std. components; can probably drop 2-3 pounds (to 22-23 lbs.) without much effort. A great hardtail that's never out of style - even vintage, retro models look/are cool.

Similar Products Used: This is my 2nd Stumpy. My 1st was mis-sized -- too small (15"). Haro Escape 4.0 rode similar to this bike, except its ride was less jarring, but it was also a less capable climber than the Stumpy and didn't have as much of a nice, balanced ride/handling. 1996 Mongoose IBOC Comp felt like a heavier version of the Stumpy, but naturally didn't have as lively a feel on the trails and was a much less capable climber.
Cyrille Early   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2003]
Strength:

Sweet ride! I am glad that I got the Comp so I didn't have to go right out and replace everything right away. It all worked

No weaknesses other than Seat ripped first week!

Sweet ride! I am glad that I got the Comp so I didn't have to go right out and replace everything right away. I recomend this bike to anyone that wants a hard tail. BUT please get the COMP model so you have good parts to start with! Otherwise it just kept going and going and going...... and still goes!

Similar Products Used: An old hardrock.... Now a 2002 FSR Stumpy Comp!
Dark Saber   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2002]
Strength:

the frame is light yet fairly strong (lately i have been taking 6-8 foot drops with it) good componant selection fairly light

nasty seat and cranks.

the bike is great for xc and even some urban assult if the rear rim is swaped w/ a beefeyer one. got it cheap (55% off) love it to death. great xc bike. nice geometry and feel

Similar Products Used: gt tempest
Josh Sherman   [May 29, 2007]
Strength:

Dusty & unused with big spiders - there in Bob's garage - soon to be third hand - was my Black SJ M2 FS, this bike is great, talk about getting hooked - runs so smooth - shifts great - light - looks cool too. I would like to know how you tell how what year it is?

well .... not many - i did shear the bottom backet and lived - replaces it with an LX outside bearing crank with 48 teeth (?) up from 44 to go faster - the XT derailers worked - the book said it might not - i have an 8 x 3 speed, the metal bracket that holds the rear derailed to the frame is bad - i was told to rivit it back because the stock fasteners failed ? The first owner didn't have a car - i know this bike has mucho miles - unreal.

Anyone looking to own a good bike should locate an SJ M2 FS or newer model (look for yuppie surplus) and you will be very happy - my local bike shop serviced the Xray Grip Shifters - lubed and new TS and the regular grips - I tell anyone looking for a hardtail - go M2 SJ FS if you can find one.

Similar Products Used: none - but did just buy a 2006 Tarmac - 105 group - killer too!
Josh Sherman   [May 29, 2007]

The Roc   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2005]
Strength:

Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. This bike is old school like old school was meant to be.... climbs better than any partial or full suspension bike out there.... above the bar index/friction thumb shifters!

I tacoed the original Specialized rims within the first month. The Specialized bottom bracket was an odd size and had to be re-machined to accept an XT upgrade 2 years after I bought it. The 16" frame I have only came with a BB mounted U-Brake.

This bike has seen me through 16 summers of not-so-hard to really gnarly XC riding and probably 40 thousand+ miles.

Between weekends out on the trail it has a set of 26x1.25 skinnies mounted between the stays. I throw some studded tires on in the winter and it becomes my snow commuter. In addition, it has towed my son in a trailer, trail-a-bake and with a bungie strap as he has progressively grown older.

I have a two year old Devinci Deore LX hanging in my basement with less than 100 miles on it. I've demoed new bikes and been on a lot of friend's top end newer bikes but I keep coming back to this one. I'll admit that I probably lose most of the time I gain on those sweet uphill climbs with the sans-suspension-fork teeth chattering downhills but there ain't no new school like the old school.

10 flamers for this classic rock and roll original.

Similar Products Used: Klein Attitude, Rocky Mountain Blizzard, a whole lot of new school XC bikes.
Tom   Racer [Jan 04, 2002]
Strength:

1994 Stumpjumper - Its steel and its an odd green color...

1 inch headset - Difficult to get a new suspension fork.
Not sus fork geometry

Its been with with me years and I cant really justify replacing it with anything else until something serious happens.....

Similar Products Used: 1990 Marin Pallisades
Josef   Racer [Dec 20, 2001]
Strength:

1992 Specialized Stumpjumper Direct Drive frameset is lightweight,stiff and strong.Race geometry,tough Shimano XT and Deore components.Wheelsmith built Specialized Z-21 rims have yet to be trued since new.NOS Ultra sticky Umma Gumma tires grip and climb and not showing any wear and tear,despite hearing that they last only three races.

None,except can't upgrade to newer V-brakes because of cable-noodle welded to the frame,instead of a slotted cable guide.LX cantilever brakes are hard to adjust and weak but will stop the bike.

1992 Specialized Stumpjumper.For all you old schoolers wondering how well a lightweight pre-93 race bike holds up,this 1992 Stumpjumper it is still ridden at racing speeds at Grant Ranch.It will outrun and outclimb any new hardtail or duelie.It climbs the Hotel trail on the middle ring.It now weighs in at 22 lbs.It's not ridden lightly despite it's age.
Latest bikes it has raced and beaten;2001 GT I-Drive on the downhill section of Hotel Trail,Santa Cruz Superlight,Schwinn Rocket 88.Steel still rules!
Specialized has built a bike that will last forever and is a bargain compared to any other make.

Similar Products Used: 1991 Bridgstone MB1,Ritchey P-23,Klein Attitude.