Specialized S-Works Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Specialized S-Works Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Specialized S-Works

[Oct 30, 2010]
J. Livingston

Strength:

I've owned my M2 S-Works Team Edition since it came out, I bought it new. It is light, easy to handle and has taken everything presented to it without a breakdown. This is a great bike for the weekend warrior to the hardcore off-roader. This is the bike Net Overend rode to a number of World Championships. Enough said!

None come to mind.

A rare and terrific bike!

[Dec 12, 2008]
Hexen

Strength:

This bike hands down is awesome. Its light, fast, and good looking. Its perfect for single track ,fire roads and the daily commute. The way I have it setup currently it weighs in at 20lbs. Best of all the bike is autographed by Ned Overend and its Neon GREEN!

The way this bike is set up it weighs about 20lbs. Mavic crosstrail wheels for off road and a Crossride for commuting. I am running 26x1.0 tires for commuting and 26x1.3 cyclcross tires for off road. I really enjoy the rigid set up it works very well on this bike. I would recommend this frame to anyone looking for a great hardtail. It took years of nagging my coworker to sell it to me and he still regrets selling it.

Bontrager Hardtail
Seven Sola Steel

[Jan 24, 2006]
Brian McMillan

Strength:

Arguably the greatest off the rack race frame ever built. Smooth ride, light, fast climber and stable down hills. Unreal on singletrack.

Haven't found any yet.

Found this bike on craigslist in '03. It had sat in this guys garage for six years only ridden on the road and on fire trails for a grand total of about 200 miles. He even threw in a pair of Specialized Fatboys (really skinny slicks) with tubes for free. My all time dream bike purchased at essentially 75% off. I was laughing as I rode the bike to my car after the purchase until I flipped over the handlebars from hitting the XT v-brakes, good times.

'97 Kona Hot, Reynolds 853 (stolen out of car)

[Sep 25, 2003]
dave

Strength:

Stiff, has handled everything with a Firm, yet eager attitude (yeah hills)- has handled wheelie drops, ramps, and 100 mile races, dessert sands, rocky and rooty and -lumbery?- new england-- all in stride.

Ritchey components- based on my experience with them on this bike- I'll never purchase. (Pedals very poor, the 31.5 post is not designed by anyone who knows what 'human factors engineering' is- get a shim-).

Oh- I almost forgot!!- I now have a nice smooth XTR bottom bracket(have had it 4 years- flawless)- I swear, though, when I pulled the original out after it developed 2 mm of play (!)- I thought I was looking at a k-mart bike (plastic sleeve, free bearings and all-).
The worst spec. ever! (Other than Giant putting 7speed kmart chains on 9 speed mid/high end bikes). I can hear the marketing guys now: "no one ever looks at the bottom bracket, just the rear derailleur". Though in fairness, and in contrast, the rest of the specs were great (other than those pedals).

I'd love to hate this bike- I've moved to wanting a full squish and this thing won't die. Every inch of mountain biking I've done (Moab, Colorado, New hamshire, Virginia, California, Upstate NY) has been on this frame (all components replaced at leat once except the cranks, which are still original. (If you're curious- the rear xt hub and xtr v-brakes were the only things to last- I swapped out the flat bar and chopper-long stem early on- so no fair to say they lasted).
My next frame will probably be a truth- I'll probably sell this- my baby- since it's been a bit small (I've actually grown since I got it when i was freshman in college!).
This is such a stiff frame I'd always thought I'd break it-it's held up to very tough riding--I'm really impressed.

[Oct 02, 2001]
Dominic Willsher

Strength:

Excellent bike... perfect groupset; Stiff and light, looks sharp!! Have received excellent support from Specialized... couldn't have wished for better service.

Older style Shimano splined bottom bracket is XTR... difficult to find tools to take it out. Also have had problems with stripping the crank.

I LOVE MY BIKE. Wouldn't trade it for the world, I don't even let my girlfriend ride it. Amazing bike, and even when it lets me down, Speciaized comes to the rescue. Quick story; in England last year, riding the cliffs of the south west coast, and my hub body rode itself into the hub and seized. Totally my fault; I hadn't tightened it in properly, and was reaming on the bugger up the cliffs. Anyway, Specialized UK (I bought the bike in Canada) sent me a rear wheelset within 5 days to a campsite that I was stranded at in the middle of nowhere. Thanks to a great company, my holiday suffered no more than a hiccup, in what could have been a catastrophe, seeing that I had no money, and was hundreds of miles from home.

Klein Adroit
Specialized StumpJumper Comp

[Apr 07, 1999]
Stalin
Downhiller

Strength:

killing people

being intelligent

Well done, made in Russia! Nastrovje, Barasztroijka, uzgawuxga. U R banned to Sybiria.

[Oct 02, 1998]
Perry
weekend warrior

Though I've only had my S-Works for about 2 weeks, I've had the opportunity to put it through some grueling rides. I just got back from a week in Tahoe and did some pretty technical riding. This bike give you confidence to take on just about anything. The components are good and the Manitou Tpc-SXti fork is awesome. What I really like about the bike is it's compliance and predictability, you just think about about a movement and the bike is there. Weighing in at around 23 pounds is great too! The headset did come loose after a couple of days of hard riding, but that's the only negative. I looked at several bikes in this same price range before deciding on the S-Works, and now more than everi feel I made a great decision. Five burning rats from this guy!

[Sep 26, 1998]
STORK
cross-country rider

I have owned a cannondale, a stumpjumper, a Y-22, and now the S-work M2. I am tall and thin and am not known for my great climbing skill. I have to say that this bike has hepped me a little. The frame is very still. Up hill that is great but it gets the best of me sometimes in the ruff stuff. I have only had my ride for the summer but could not be more pleased with it. Give it consideration if you don't mind Specialized....

[Sep 23, 1998]
Brian
racer

My review is under FRAMESETS: SPECIALIZED M2, go look it up, you won't remember after reading this whole page. But if you don't want to leave this beautiful page just yet, allow me to be brief: I just bought this bike, and after almost a year on my stumpjumper wondered why I had'nt done it sooner. Anyone thinking of this bike, stop thinking. Pick up your catalog, pick up the phone and order it RIGHT NOW! Supergo has a nice deal on frame alone right now......
THIS BIKE ROCKS THE MIKE!!!!!!!

[Sep 17, 1998]
William
cross-country rider

S-Works M2 Frame, Manitou Stroker Fork, Race Face cranks/rings/bb, Avid brakes, time ATAC pedals, Titec H-bar, SRAM 9.0sl shifter, XTR fd, XTR cass, Syncros post, Crossmax, Bontrager Jones, Salsa skewers, Avocet O2 Air saddleWhat can I say. Sprints like a champ, tackles all hills. A little stiff, but I am getting used to it. The frame kicks ass and is rock-solid. No flex and it feels great on single track as well as fire breaks.