Specialized Allez Bike 1998 or Older

Specialized Allez

racer4life   Racer [Jul 25, 2008]
Strength:

carbon fiber shock absorbant seat post, great for climbing, stif rigged fram, fast

i havnt found any

great all around bike. good for training

Jack O   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2005]
Strength:

Good Build Quality, Great Columbus FOCO Cromo tubesets,Smooth ,fast ride.

None that I can think of.

A very well built road/race frame that is Chrome Moly Steel (Columbus FOCO). The build quality and welding are superb for a factory bike. It almost appears to be filet brazed they are done so neat. This bike is the COMP model and came equipped with a Carbon Fork,seat post and Stem. It also had Full Ultegra Deraillers and with the 53/39 chainrings and 12/25 Cassett is a very durable sturdy racer that is comfotable mount to ride. It let's you hammer without hammerin you! had decents of 45 MPH which were very smooth, tracking is like a sports car. I don't think you can go wrong with a Bike built by Specialized.

Similar Products Used: Spectrum Softride Custom by Tom Kellogg with Campy Record
Chucho   Racer [May 18, 1999]
Strength:

Resiliency, smooth ride, stiffness, quality of workmanship... steel is real!
Gotta love it!

Not ultra light (but that's o.k.)

Well, I want to put in my 10 cents worth not for one of these new and wonderful models, but for my
1984 (yes, EIGHTY FOUR) Specialized Allez SE. I inherited the bike in immaculate condition
from a friend back in '94, and it had the old Suntour Superbe Pro stuff on it! Damn, I even think it
had cloth tape! Retro!
Anyway, as many fellow cyclists have been wont to do, I swapped all my early '90s Dura Ace parts
onto this rig and I was rollin'!!! It is a STEEL frame and fork, from back when Specialized only had
two road frames, the Allez, and the Allez SE. Pretty much the only major difference was on some of
the specs, and that the dropouts were Campy on the Allez, and Shimano on the SE. Anyway, this
thing is plenty stiff but comfortable. It corners like it was on rails, and is VERY responsive. It was
constructed with what Specialized simply called special series double butted tubes. I love it so
much, that I recently sent it out to the Portland, Oregon facility that paints all of Specialized's 'high
end' framesets.
In short, while I'm sure that the newer generation Allez-es are sweet, I recommend hunting down an
'80s model.