Scott Comp Racing Bike 1998 or Older

Scott Comp Racing

ScottC   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2010]
Strength:

Frame and wheels are phenominal - good climber, great over the rough stuff, stable and fast on descents. A better bike than I am a rider.

Well, I bought this used - it's a '98 I think, bought in 2010, so it needed a couple of things - but not much! Ditched the quirky handlebars for some slight riser bars and the front fork was frozen so I put on a Pilot I had sitting around and I just LOVE this bike.

I buy and refurb old road and mountain bikes and if I love them I keep them. This one is definitely a keeper - it's both my go-to bike for slopping around AND my bike when I want speed. I have much nicer bikes that sit unused while I go out and blast around worry-free on this baby. The geometry feels a bit hunched over to me (might be a bit too small) but it offers exceptional control, tight stable steering, fast stable descents, planted climbs - really just connects to the singletrack. Excellent bike and being steel, if taken care of, should last and last and offer that wonderful ride.

Similar Products Used: Just about everything in its class - Cannondales, Gary Fishers, Specialized, Redline, etc.
Les   Weekend Warrior [Nov 08, 2002]
Strength:

mostly good Components, fairly light, great geometry, Clear coated Cro-Mo frame looks like Ti.

Neon colors have gone out of fashion

My bike is a 1993 model. Not the lightest bike out there, but pretty damn good for a mid-level bike. The higher end Scotts had Tange Prestige tubing. My Schwinn has that tubeset and is too flexy for me (because I am too portly). This bike has held up very well over the years, and is still in great shape, even after some hard get-offs.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn PDG-90
Fuzzy Palmer   Racer [Mar 15, 2001]
Strength:

Gruppo, steering, geometry, climbing

stock rims.

This bike kicks! This bike is a great racer. It is made for climbing and fast singletrack. It isn't set up as a great decender but it hasn't stopped me yet.....What is the difference between pink and purple??? YOUR GRIP!! Hang the Hell on and lets haul!! I gave this bike 5 flaming turds for value and overall rating since it handles everything that stands in it's way...!

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000, Trek OCLV, Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn Homegrown
Fire Rat   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 21, 1999]
Strength:

-Light
-Strong
-Reliable
-Great Value

Cheap stock components and hard saddle, lack of technical support.

This is a great bike I got it on sale from $1000.00 for $599.00! But so far I've spent $300.00 on total upgrades and its still less than retail.

Similar Products Used: 1992 Huffy Dirt Water 18 speed (36 lbs.).
Bojan   cross-country rider [Sep 27, 1998]

Date:27 september 19989
Scott Comp Racing is my second MTB (first was Scott Summit) and it is great. I bought the bike in april 1998. I change LX V brake and shifters with XT, XT rear derailer, SHIMANO SPD 737 and Ritchey speed max tires.The Comp Scott racing is handles very well in all terrain.
I have a litle problem with BB-UN52 and chain is too cheap CN-IG51.
But bike is stil cool.

Islander   weekend warrior [Mar 16, 1998]

I got the '98 and it tears s**t up! Super light and good components. The Judy XC feels good on dampening. Shiting is fast and smooth. It's got the Avid single dig 2.0 brakes which I like, but I plan to upgrade to XTR or XT V-brakes. The color is cool and it seems to handle abuse well. It's a fun ride! Too bad they wont be in the States any more.

Nick Shapley   cross-country rider [Jul 25, 1997]

Looking through the mags, I found a article advertising a Scott Comp Racing for £660, when they retail at £950.
So I rang up ordered one as I needed a new bike, the bike is kitted out with mostly LX and some XT stuff (rear mech, shifters), mavic 221 rims, sugino impel 500 chainset.
I expected it to come with Avid Speedial 1.9 levers but the bike turned up with the 2.0 spec levers, which are amazing.
I then weighed the beast thinking that it was surprisingly light and found it weighed just 22.1 pounds (10 kgs).
Considing all the kit it comes with I will have to give the bike top marks.

Sven Cramer   cross-country rider [May 20, 1998]

I just bought a SCOTT Comp Racing with the complete LX-Group and Judy T2
I love this bike ! It´s great to glide over stones, .... Are you ready to fly ? The weight is surprisingly low. Don´t worry ´bout walking around with it !
Just one question:
Could someone tell me where I find the Internet-Site of Scott ???

DUNCAN CRONIN   Cross Country Rider [Mar 01, 2001]
Strength:

Fantastic looking bike. Very responsive and quick. Love the Judy SL forks.

Seat post squeaks. Poor quality rims (ZAC 19). Until I stripped the Judy SL down and upped the travel to 100mm (changing the fork oil while I was at it) they felt very stiff and jumpy.

A top rate entry level bike. If your looking for a bike that doesn't need upgrading then stay clear. This bike does!
In particular the rims (already beginning to mark and warp) although i dont think the spec that i got was a standard Scott spec. Also going to upgrade the brakes to Hayes or Hope hydraulic disks when i have the cash. The poor braking performance propably has something to do with the poor quality rims (again!) but with extreme stopping power this bike will be unstopable!